The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unity Audio Super Rocks? Studio Monitors
Old 13th April 2016
Here for the gear

Unity Audio Super Rocks?

Hey there, has anyone come across the Unity Audio Super Rocks? I have the Rocks mk2, and am curious how they compare?
Old 13th April 2016
Lives for gear

I have been able to compare them (Super Rock vs The Rock mk2) twice, but in a far from ideal environment, as it was on the Musikmesse this year and last year. However, one thing that was very clear to me was the fact that the Super Rock clearly could be driven louder and that it had more authority in the lows. I was actually surprised how good it was in the lows, wondering if there was perhaps a hidden subwoofer, but there was none.

I would even go as far as to say thay I think the Super Rock is closer to the new Boulders with regards to frequency response, than it is to The Rock mk2. But again, this was not in an ideal enviroment. I would love to have the Super Rock in my own studio to compare it to my Event Opals, but what is the point, I can't afford them at the moment anyway.

Another brand I have been listening to this year at the Musikmesse was the Amphion. There was a closed booth with lots of acoustic treatment (but still not a perfect auditioning room) and I was blown away by both the One 18 and Two 18. My Opals have more power in the lows for sure, but the transient response, the overall tone, the stereo image and off-axis response was stunning. I think I start to understand the hype... But again I would need to hear them in my own studio to make a fair judgement.
Old 13th April 2016
Yes I had them in here. Tested them alongside a host of other monitors (including the Rock MII and the Boulder). To my ears the Super Rocks are the best monitor to have come from Unity yet. While they are clearly the same family I found them to be more balanced overall. They stood up better to my ATC SCM110s than anything else I've had in here (and at this stage, I've had a lot of different monitors through the door)
Old 3rd May 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah was just wondering if the Super Rocks would be a significant upgrade to the Rocks mkII which I love, but am curious if I'm missing out on something. The Rocks go suprisingly low, but it seems like the Super Rocks might be an upgrade nonetheless. Of course I'd have to hear them myself. I'm not as concerned with the higher spl level, however. Trev, with room constraints, my monitors are at 4.75ft apart, would that distance still work on the Super Rocks?
Any ideas the ATC scm25a would offer something significantly more, and any idea if the Amphion speakers are even on par with any of these speakers. Hard to tell sometimes if something is actually an upgrade, or just a crossgrade.
Thanks!
Old 13th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpcut sound View Post
Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah was just wondering if the Super Rocks would be a significant upgrade to the Rocks mkII which I love, but am curious if I'm missing out on something. The Rocks go suprisingly low, but it seems like the Super Rocks might be an upgrade nonetheless. Of course I'd have to hear them myself. I'm not as concerned with the higher spl level, however. Trev, with room constraints, my monitors are at 4.75ft apart, would that distance still work on the Super Rocks?
Any ideas the ATC scm25a would offer something significantly more, and any idea if the Amphion speakers are even on par with any of these speakers. Hard to tell sometimes if something is actually an upgrade, or just a crossgrade.
Thanks!
On the Musikmesse floor the difference was absolutely big, to my ears a serious step up from The Rock mk2. The thing is, there is no guarantee that it will be a significant upgrade for you in your particular room with your particular needs.

After being impressed with The Super Rock, I was again impressed with the Amphion One18 and Two18, this time in a soundproof mini studio on the Messe. It's impossible to say which is better as I would need to hear them in my own studio, preferably for a longer period of time to really get to know them.

The SCM25A Pro is a lovely monitor, I can't deny that. But in my limited experience with them, I found them lacking information in the low frequencies. Although I rather not use sub, they made me feel like I needed one. With the Opals, I feel I don't need a sub. I'm pretty sure The Super Rock will also allow me to mix without a sub.

Disclaimer: room acoustics have a gigantic impact in the way a monitor performs, so please don't put too much value in my experience, there is no guarantee you will experience the same.
Old 29th June 2016
Here for the gear

I have been using both in my production suite. I don't think one is better than the other. I like the Rock MKII for critical mixing and I feel like the Super Rocks are great for tracking and double checking low and high end when done mixing/mastering. The midrange on The Rocks is essential to me. They are more revealing and don't sound "so good" as the Super Rocks. I've brought the Super Rocks to some big rooms in LA, and they do sound great and exciting specially when tracking. I guess, Unity managed to make two great monitors that complement each other rather than one being an upgrade from the other. Great monitors!
Old 29th June 2016
Gear Head

Having heard all of these I can tell you there is a big difference.
Old 29th June 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartec Audio View Post
Having heard all of these I can tell you there is a big difference.
Yes indeed!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search