The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Where are you sending you Main L-R Outs?
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

This is an old thread, but I found myself here while researching ideas for my latest patchbay setup. I've been building my gear into a mobile rig and trying to make improvements to things along the way. I've settled on analog mixing going something like this:

16ch DAW Line outs > Line Inputs on Mackie Onyx 1640 > Main Insert Send <patchbay> DBX 566 Compressor > DBX 504X card SPDIF> Interface SPDIF IN

The analog output of the DBX 566 is routed back to the Main Insert Return and then to Monitors post fader.

I've only experimented with this so far and haven't actually mixed a project this way yet. I plan to just send stems if I exceed the 16 channels, but I could also expand to the 4 stereo aux returns (and lose them to mixing in FX).

I'm well aware that the Onyx 1640 and the DBX 566 are not the most desirable pieces for this, but I'm trying to work with what I've got. The DBX 504X card has some interesting Dithering options as well that I'm interested in experimenting with. Maybe someday I'll graduate to something nicer like a Toft ATB and a nicer bus compressor (and converter) if I continue to sum/mix in the analog/hybrid realm. Or, maybe it will sound like garbage and I'll go back to ITB.

Comments? Advice?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search