The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apple or Orange? Buzz MA2.2 or Aurora GTQ2?
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Apple or Orange? Buzz MA2.2 or Aurora GTQ2?

hello fruit lovers,

I need a versatile 2 channel pre. From all I've read the Buzz Audio MA2.2 and the Aurora GTQ2 MKIII seem like great choices, but obviously very different animals
(or fruit).

I already have a UA6176 so I'm looking for a 2 channel unit that will give me the tonal variation I need to record all sorts of vocals and instruments, but mostly acoustic/electric guitar. I produce a variety of musical styles from folk to pop to jazz so....

The Aurora has a lot going for it, especially the EQ , and enough features to make it a "go to" pre for most sessions. The Buzz has that "clean and fast" thing that might make it a preferred unit for acoustic instruments, jazz ensembles and classical guitar, but it's lacking a high pass filter and a DI feature. So, eventually I'll probably want to have both units, but for now I can only afford one.

My mics are a Royer 121, Mojave MA200, Josephson C42s, AT 4050, SM57 I will be getting one of the 47 clones (Peluso, Telefunken or Lawson) after I get the preamp and use it with my existing mics.

Any thoughts on which I should get first?
thanks
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

both nice preamps... Just comes down to what you really need.

I could see using the buzz and gtq on everything... The buzz though has a very nice vibe though clean, punchy, but still with vibe.

THe gtq on the other hand is gonne give you a more colored sound, but it's just as useful on everything as the buzz...

You can always use a di box to go di... I use whirlwind imp and it sounds fantastic pluggin into whatever preamp i am using.

So i guess it all comes down to the fact on whether or not you need the eq
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Well, if you do decide to go with the apple...I mean the BUZZ MA 2.2, check this out, then hit me up.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...50#post1114950

This is with the transformer option.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search