The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ideas for API or Neve Line Amp module alternative
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

Line Amp module suggestions for adding 'Color' between DAW & Summing Amp

Hello All,
I'm thinking of purchasing some line amps to go between my DAW and a summing amp...something that can add some color similar what would happen going through the line inputs of a console.

Through my research, it seems like the API 325 would be a solution for this. I am quite familiar with the sound of the API 312 and 512 mic pres. Problem is, it seems they are hard to find for sale.

Are there any other line amps out there that I may be able to find?

Again my goal is to have something that is set up at unity gain (I know you can tap off the output transformers of the API 325 to provide unity gain right? maybe same with Neve 1272) and plug 8-12 channels of these to my DAW outputs then into a summing amp.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Neru-Oniisan; 5th February 2007 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: changing title
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

What about Siemens modules?

I've also read about line amp modules by Siemens (v270 v275 and others), but am not familiar with the 'sound' of these modules. Is their vibe similar to Neve in anyway?

Thanks.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Since you don't need gain, why not some passive transformers? Radial do some isolation boxes with Jensen transformers.
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
Since you don't need gain, why not some passive transformers?
Thanks.

Very interesting idea. Have you heard of anyone ever doing this? I do know that the transformers are a very fundamental element in the sound...and I'm pretty sure the Neve 1272 line amp module has transformers on both the input and output.

Would I need an output transformer or an input transformer to do this...or is there another type i would look for? (taking the balanced line output of my DAC's --->into transformer--->out of transformer to balanced line input of summing device)
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

How about 1271's? Can find them pretty cheap compared to 1272's.

You can always post your question on Geoff Tanner's site. I'm sure Geoff will have a great "Neve" suggestion.
Old 5th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neru-Oniisan View Post
Hello All,
I'm thinking of purchasing some line amps to go between my DAW and a summing amp...something that can add some color similar what would happen going through the line inputs of a console.

Are there any other line amps out there that I may be able to find?
the first phoenix audio nicerizer was like this.. 8 transformers you could basically pass audio thru...

i think it's a great idea, especially if it had shadow hills - like switches for flipping thru different transformers... i'd call it the "Iron John"... amazing idea for a 8 or 16 channel pass thru box.
Old 5th February 2007
member no 666

Quote:
Hello All,
Wow.

Adding amplifier stages for the sake of adding amplifier stages... interesting idea.

FWIW, a 1272 has 2 transformers, an input transformer [St. Ives 31267] and an output transformer [Marinair LO1166] with a B283AV amplifier card in between... the thing being that the unit was designed to add gain, not run at unity gain so you would need to pad the input to the 1272 from the output of your DAW... which adds even more circuitry to the event... which seems like an awful lot of unnecessary stuff to go through to me... but I'm not you so you may see it differently.

From what I remember of the API 325 modules, I don't believe they have input and output transformers... I think they have output transformers [but I could very easily be wrong about that]... and I don't believe they can be run at unity gain [and I could very easily be wrong about that too!!].

There was [probably still is for all I know] a unit built by Phoenix Audio in the UK called the "Nicerizer" which was designed specifically for this purpose... it can also function as 2- 4x1 mixers or you can "condition" 8 signals individually [and I think adjust their level in the process].

It would seem to me that some kind of "off the shelf" solution might be a hell of a lot more pragmatic path to follow... maybe something like an InnerTUBE Audio "Sumthang" or an SPL "MixDream" or something like that [that adds some balls in the summing process as opposed to something like the Dangerous which is trying to be a wire that sums]... or maybe strengthen your converter system so your stuff sounds like music without the extra crap in the path [or maybe clocking?].

To me it seems like a rather unnecessary science project to get involved with stuff like 1272's and the like... but its your time and your money so best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Peace.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Wow.

Adding amplifier stages for the sake of adding amplifier stages... interesting idea.

Peace.
heh

Best ish ive heard hear in a bit.
Old 13th December 2011
Here for the gear

Well, as usual Fletcher is right!
I don't personally know him, but he did help price some vintage studio gear when I first started playing with it 15 or 20 years ago. I've followed a lot of his writings and he always seems to be on the mark.

As to "wetting up" your sound, I feel I understand what you're after. The transformer idea is a good, simple way to go about it. I've done it many times since this digital stuff came along.

I have a lot of HiFi clients in Japan and the surrounding area.
All tubes (95% triodes), all the time.
Many years ago I got the idea from them of using a pair of vintage 1:1 line transformers between a CD player and preamp. They claimed that it "softened the digital harshness". Now I know it is actually limiting bandwidth, but when I finally tried it it worked! At least for my ears.
I've built dozens of "transformer boxes" for them over the years. I'm always looking for vintage iron for my projects (not only line xformers; pretty much anything that will pass audio), although I probably have several lifetimes worth already.

Given that you need no gain perhaps you should try some 1:1 line transformers.

Peace,
DrRick

Quote:
I've also read about line amp modules by Siemens (v270 v275 and others), but am not familiar with the 'sound' of these modules. Is their vibe similar to Neve in anyway?

Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search