The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Grace Design Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd January 2004
Gear Head

Grace Design

Has anyone ever heard of grace design pre's, or has anyone ever used them. I'm looking to get a few of them cause I get a really good employee discount on them. So I was hoping if anyone has used them or heard them, could tell me how they sound. THanks guyz.
Old 23rd January 2004
Lives for gear

They are clear clean and true with maybe a slight bite on the top, but that might have come from the sources I recorded. They are high end products with sound quality to match.
Frost
Old 23rd January 2004
Gear Head
Which model are you looking at? Can't comment on the 101 or 201 but the 801 and 801r are really nice. Clean but not in a sterile way and very open. Customer Service has been good to me, but then again I am 4 blocks away from their shop. YMMV
Old 23rd January 2004
Lives for gear

pro:clean
fast..fast..fast
detailed
tight low end response
extended high end

con: fatiguing
fairly clinical
Old 23rd January 2004
Lives for gear

Unlike another thread : they're one of my best investments yet (801R).

I agree to all of the above except - fatiguing.

They're just SO transparant and fast - without exaggerating HF and transients.

It does not make anything sound better, so if you don't want a really natural sounding pre look no further.

That doesn't mean a SM57 doesn't sound a lot better through this box than through some other preamps I own ...
Old 23rd January 2004
Lives for gear

I also agree with the above except the fatiguing part. I own the 201 and I would say it is very clean and clear but musical sounding.
Old 2nd March 2019
Here for the gear
The Grace 501 is clean and clear, not at all sterile or fatigueing, clearer than prism di, cleaner than Neve, not sterile like Rme, Works for dark tube mics, as alternative to to VMS, bass and gtr di, acoustics with km184, I haven’t tried different mics and impedance variable yet.
I add colour if needed with re-amping, emulations Etc, with quality plugins..
I have coloured pres like neve etc. You can’t have separation and cohesion without variety..
By ‘musical’ a preamp accentuates harmonics pleasing to the ear, the grace is quite bright and transparent, linear, but not displeasing.
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

zombie thread bump alert! :-)

i have two grace m103 channel strips here which i'm using along my two amek/neve cib's - highly recommended!
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear
I had Grace 801 Preamps. Used them long ago for the front end direct to Adat's. I had SN's 8007 and 8008. The 7th and 8th unit they produced.

Expose all weakness is what they do. To damn clear. No color help. They are too good.

The only drawback to the original 801's was that you can't ride the level while tracking. You get a click when it changes circuit. Each 2db gain gain is a new circuit. When they made a 2 channel version of the original, they added a trim knob to adress the issue..

When I sold them, a Doctor purchased them to listen to hearts.

A agree with a previus post. Great for darker mic's and ribbons. Every transient comes through with no smearing.
Old 2nd March 2019
Gear Guru

Thread - dead for 15-years and then resurrected

But all Grace stuff - pre-amps and headphone amps are supurb quality and are clean and uncoloured.
Old 4th March 2019
Here for the gear
I have an older 201 and love it. I use it in my travel rack to record acoustic guitar and mandolin. As a comparison in that same rack I have a True Systems P2 analog unit. Both are beautifully crystal clear but I find the 201 to be more dimensional in nature than the P2. I've used a variety of mics from 184's, U67, tlm67, U87 and Gefell um70's . All sound great. Go for it!
Old 4th March 2019
Gear Guru
We just bought a bunch of them here for VO preferred over what we were using. Excellent pre's and can't go wrong using them...
Old 5th March 2019
Here for the gear
Grace LunatecV3, small and clean, with d/a convertor. It is no longer in production, but some stores still got it. I use it already several years for location recording of organs and choirs.
Old 11th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Haha I hadn't noticed the dates until you mentioned it. I suspect that happened to others too! We're all just asleep at the wheel

I'll add my $.02 while I'm here. Grace makes fantastic pres, and DACs, etc. They're among the standard pres used for orchestral recording if that counts for anything. I'd buy their m108 in a heartbeat, as it does many things, but that price point would need to be lower.

Cheers
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

This thread (originated with the below post back in January 2004) is kind of a testament to the company's success and lasting power. Nobody would talk about Grace Design preamps this way now. I have an M101. Congratulations to the folks at Grace Design. (think the're based in Colorado).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanemeyer16 View Post
Has anyone ever heard of grace design pre's, or has anyone ever used them. I'm looking to get a few of them cause I get a really good employee discount on them. So I was hoping if anyone has used them or heard them, could tell me how they sound. THanks guyz.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

I've recently been confronted by a modern recording, while technically perfect, it was recorded with truly highend gear (=much more expensive) of the same era as my Grace units. The recording has the signature "digital" sound, something I have never suffered with my Grace+AD.

Not only they were far ahead, but they remain quite impossible to replace & upgrade the sound.
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
Grace LunatecV3, small and clean, with d/a convertor. It is no longer in production, but some stores still got it. I use it already several years for location recording
#metoo ! Using one for 11 years. Excellent preamp, very transparent and clean. The A/D is not as good as in some of today’s hi end gear, though.
Old 13th March 2019
I have the m101 and it's great. I'd also love to get the m103. That looks very useful.
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Maniac

What to do you think about the m108 compared to other Grace Pres?

I have it, and compared to my Lynx Aurora n Pres (clean and transparent) , i found the m108 to be darker and with more depth.

Daniel.
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Head

Grace makes solid products that just work. Usually Grace gear is clean, warm, and a little too polite but if you like the sound, then it is great gear.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Actually I'd rather that. This forum is like 90% useless threads and rehashes. If people just bumped an older thread with their newer questions at least it'd keep the information in the same place instead of 40 different threads about the same product with 7 posts each.

As far as Grace goes, at the time they were one of the very few that did clean in a way that actually sounded good. They're still an excellent choice but these days there's a lot of companies that do really good quality clean. I used to buy them when they were like $550 new or something for an m101, but at like $750 or so for an m501, they're still a chip pre.

My experience with them has been that they're rather excellent on ribbons and dynamics because of the super high impedance - something like 20,000 ohms in ribbon mode which you should always use for dynamics and ribbons. Condensers (which tend to be pretty clean with high frequencies and not really affected by impedance) can really be hit or miss with a grace.
Old 13th March 2019
What about with active ribbons like the AEA N22? I don't think you need to engage the ribbon button on the m101, for example.
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
What about with active ribbons like the AEA N22? I don't think you need to engage the ribbon button on the m101, for example.
You can't because the N22 is active and needs phantom power to power the jfet electronics in the mic. Ribbon mode on the grace does two things mainly -

1. Raises the Impedance from like 8,000 ohms to 20,000 ohms because ribbons (and dynamics!) sound great when unloaded.

2. Completely disables phantom power, even if you hit the button it won't turn on. This is a safety feature because historically phantom power destroys ribbon mics so that's why there's a mode specifically for ribbons - to help protect them.

A lot of other manufacturers take similar approaches...Elysia's skulpter makes you hold the phantom power button like 3 seconds before it'll turn on so you can't turn it on by accident. Buzz Audio has been known to use locking toggle switches, where you have to pull the toggle out before you can switch it, so you can't bump it and turn on phantom power.

Anyway, to use the N22, you don't use ribbon mode. You need phantom power. Plus the mic has active electronics so it's like a ribbon mixed with a condenser so you don't need to worry so much about the mic being loaded. Although 8,000 ohms is nothing to sneeze at anyway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search