The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage T4B vs Reissue T4B
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Vintage T4B vs Reissue T4B

Just thought I would comment about a recent experience. Did a comparison between my old T4B and a reissue T4B from UA in my LA3a's and I found the difference to be significant. I was actually surprised, as I thought that the two would be very similar, but the action of the compression felt quite different. Anybody experienced the same thing?
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
Just thought I would comment about a recent experience. Did a comparison between my old T4B and a reissue T4B from UA in my LA3a's and I found the difference to be significant. I was actually surprised, as I thought that the two would be very similar, but the action of the compression felt quite different. Anybody experienced the same thing?
YES!!
There are some LA2A threads about rolling tubes in the UA reissue.

I use a Kenetek T4B with mine.

Old 6th April 2016
Gear Nut

+1 Kenetek T4B
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

If you mean attack and release time with "actio of compression" then the reason might simply be material tolerance in the electroluminescent panel used in T4Bs. If you buy any replacement you´ll be exposed to that because all real copies of T4Bs are made with the same el. panel. The only exception known to me are Kenetek T4Bs because he matches them for original timeconstants (or faster as a special order). ADL does this, too, but I don´t know if they sell their optos to the public.
Old 8th April 2016
Lives for gear

Keep in mind that old original T4B's tend to have slower release times as they age. So if you're comparing an aging T4B with a newer reissue T4, it's kind of an apples & oranges situation. In my experience the attack & release times of an unused original T4B and a new T4 are pretty close.

But with all of those cells there are lots of odd characteristics that creep in to the equation. Frequency content can affect cells in different ways, and certain kinds of program material (especially bassy stuff) can cause distortion or compression anomalies in different cells.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search