The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Neve 1073 Please have a look
Old 4th April 2016
Gear Head

Vintage Neve 1073 Please have a look

This will be a day I will remember all of my life: I have been offered gear that I have been looking for such a long time from two parties, and two of each at the same time.
A matched pair of Gunter Wagner's U47w will enrich my studio, wow.
Then a pair of vintage Neve 1073 is on stand-by for me, and they come fully serviced at a moderate price. The guy who has offered them to me has even sent pics and allowed me to publish them in the net to have some experts have a look at them, and this is why I have started this thread.

I will post the pics in a row of three posts.

Please have a look at the pics because I'm no expert. I hope Geoff Tanner will find some time to do so. A Wagner U 47w into a 1073....can't wait for it to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Neve 1073  Please have a look-neve-1073-5.jpg   Vintage Neve 1073  Please have a look-neve-1073-4.jpg   Vintage Neve 1073  Please have a look-neve-1073-3.jpg   Vintage Neve 1073  Please have a look-neve-1073-2.jpg   Vintage Neve 1073  Please have a look-neve-1073-1.jpg  

Old 4th April 2016
Gear Head

Next series of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Neve 1073  Please have a look-neve-1073-6.jpg   Vintage Neve 1073  Please have a look-neve-1073-7.jpg   Vintage Neve 1073  Please have a look-neve-1073-8.jpg   Vintage Neve 1073  Please have a look-neve-1073-9.jpg   Vintage Neve 1073  Please have a look-neve-1073-11.jpg  

Vintage Neve 1073  Please have a look-neve-1073-12.jpg  
Old 4th April 2016
Gear Head

...and the last one.

Now this is just one of the preamps, but the other one is similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Neve 1073  Please have a look-neve-1073-13.jpg  

Last edited by fritzsound; 4th April 2016 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: picture did not load
Old 5th April 2016
Lives for gear

Superb signal chain... Can't ask for more for vox other than a la2a or 1176
Old 5th April 2016
Gear Guru

those modules look legit as far as I can tell.looks like the old green marinaire TX's.
nice.
Old 5th April 2016
Lives for gear

Looks very nice, you will be fine
Old 5th April 2016
Gear Guru

my 1073 serial #'s are 6192 / K and 6288 / K ... it is always interesting to find out where you modules have come from ... i have never been able to find out what console mine came out of ..

if you happen to come across a way to find out .. please share with us ..

those look very good inside ..

happy 1073'ing ... and the mic's as well ..

cheers john
Old 5th April 2016
member no 666

The photos look like the unit is correct... if you get them you will want to hook them up to an oscilloscope and confirm the bias on the B283 output amplifier is correct. You can get them pretty inexpensively these days... and they more than pay for themselves over time.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/46...sQYaAiq88P8HAQ

Peace
Old 5th April 2016
Lives for gear

Hi
(AMS) Neve should have documentation saying who the modules were originally supplied to.
Whether they still have the records and persuading someone to dig them out is another issue altogether.
Matt S
Old 5th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
(AMS) Neve should have documentation saying who the modules were originally supplied to.
Whether they still have the records and persuading someone to dig them out is another issue altogether.
Matt S
Hi

I very much doubt that... the modules were built in Kelso (hence the /K on serial plates) but Melbourn didn't keep records of module serial numbers... Kelso might have but that was decades ago and they are no part of AMS-Neve now.

Old 5th April 2016
Gear Guru

hi geoff, thank you for the note on my 1073's .. what about the OP's modules .. they do not have a letter after the serial # .. ??
Old 5th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
hi geoff, thank you for the note on my 1073's .. what about the OP's modules .. they do not have a letter after the serial # .. ??
Hi

I wouldn't worry about it... those are very early modules and there were management staff changes up in Kelso around that time so different rules may have applied.

Hundreds of consoles, thousands of modules, frequently bulk numbers of modules brought down with the weekly van exchange... one VW LT box van leaving Melbourn with parts while an identical van left Kelso carrying modules.
At the half distance road side cafe, the drivers would swap vans and return to their respective bases.

Imagine a bunch of 45 series consoles in the test department and a hundred or more 1073's delivered to goods in. Do you really think they would care which console they went in? Groups of modules would have consecutive serial numbers but which console had which group... given that they were all identical?

Old 5th April 2016
Gear Guru

haha .. that sounds more like a drug deal .. 2 vans at a roadside cafe .. !!! understood on serial#'s ..

thank you again for your knowledge ..

cheers john

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

I wouldn't worry about it... those are very early modules and there were management staff changes up in Kelso around that time so different rules may have applied.

Hundreds of consoles, thousands of modules, frequently bulk numbers of modules brought down with the weekly van exchange... one VW LT box van leaving Melbourn with parts while an identical van left Kelso carrying modules.
At the half distance road side cafe, the drivers would swap vans and return to their respective bases.

Imagine a bunch of 45 series consoles in the test department and a hundred or more 1073's delivered to goods in. Do you really think they would care which console they went in? Groups of modules would have consecutive serial numbers but which console had which group... given that they were all identical?

Old 5th April 2016
API
Lives for gear

Looks fine by me to and they are early as Geoff says.
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

did neve ever use 2 brands of dual concentric eq switches on the same module?
mid-range eq switch looks like elma where the low eq and high pass are blores..

is this common? my 1073s all have blores, same with my 1066s

also why isn't the 2N3055 on the 283 card stamped w/ the Motorola "M"?
maybe it's just faded or something
Old 6th April 2016
Gear Head

Thanks everybody and especially Geoff for valid information. So Geoff has stated these are early ones. I remember the 24 discrete 33114 modules that were in my Neve broadcast 5312 (if I remember the model number correctly) that sounded very very good when I recorded with my Otari MX 80 way back in the 90s.
I don't know if there are technical differences between later and earlier 1073 modules, but I guess I'll buy the two that have been offered to me. I guess a price of 7000 EUR for the pair seems fair. I have seen them go for more and for less, although this was some time ago....
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Hi

Neve used Diamond H switches back then... I'm not even sure Blore existed back then.

You can tell the difference in that Diamond H the indexing was enclosed in a die cast zinc casing... in the much more recent Blores it's two leaf springs and a couple of ball bearings.

The modules are around 45 years old and a tech in that period might have swapped a noisy Diamond H for an Elma 01... that's an upgrade really.

Neve used custom transistors from Newmarket transistors on a lot of their early modules. They eventually settled on Motorola.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevefreak View Post
did neve ever use 2 brands of dual concentric eq switches on the same module?
mid-range eq switch looks like elma where the low eq and high pass are blores..

is this common? my 1073s all have blores, same with my 1066s

also why isn't the 2N3055 on the 283 card stamped w/ the Motorola "M"?
maybe it's just faded or something
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Hi

1073's went through at least 22 changes in their life time. Neve reserved the right to change a circuit if it improved it and the first mods were a bunch of bleed resistors added to the gain switch to minimise clicks between positions. These resistors would affect the loading on the secondary of the mic input transformer.

Later on they changed the EQ switch from two pole operation to single pole. This used a tantalum capacitor and a bunch of bleed resistors and was to reduce the click when EQ was selected. The extra components would marginally change the sound.

Then there were general modifications, changing the circuit boards from B183 and 184 to B283 and B284 and changing from BC109 transistors to BC184, and numerous other component changes like the Newmarket O/P transistor to the Motorola I mention earlier.

So given the number of issue numbers and the maintenance or lack of it over 40 years, any two 1073's might sound a little different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzsound View Post
Thanks everybody and especially Geoff for valid information. So Geoff has stated these are early ones. I remember the 24 discrete 33114 modules that were in my Neve broadcast 5312 (if I remember the model number correctly) that sounded very very good when I recorded with my Otari MX 80 way back in the 90s.
I don't know if there are technical differences between later and earlier 1073 modules, but I guess I'll buy the two that have been offered to me. I guess a price of 7000 EUR for the pair seems fair. I have seen them go for more and for less, although this was some time ago....
Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

Neve used Diamond H switches back then... I'm not even sure Blore existed back then.

You can tell the difference in that Diamond H the indexing was enclosed in a die cast zinc casing... in the much more recent Blores it's two leaf springs and a couple of ball bearings.

The modules are around 45 years old and a tech in that period might have swapped a noisy Diamond H for an Elma 01... that's an upgrade really.

Neve used custom transistors from Newmarket transistors on a lot of their early modules. They eventually settled on Motorola.

good info, thanks
Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

1073's went through at least 22 changes in their life time. Neve reserved the right to change a circuit if it improved it and the first mods were a bunch of bleed resistors added to the gain switch to minimise clicks between positions. These resistors would affect the loading on the secondary of the mic input transformer.

Later on they changed the EQ switch from two pole operation to single pole. This used a tantalum capacitor and a bunch of bleed resistors and was to reduce the click when EQ was selected. The extra components would marginally change the sound.

Then there were general modifications, changing the circuit boards from B183 and 184 to B283 and B284 and changing from BC109 transistors to BC184, and numerous other component changes like the Newmarket O/P transistor to the Motorola I mention earlier.

So given the number of issue numbers and the maintenance or lack of it over 40 years, any two 1073's might sound a little different.

Very valuable and CORRECT info as usual Geoff!! Big thumbs up! GS is lucky to have you on board!

Cheu
Old 7th April 2016
Quote:
Hi

Please excuse me for a being a little off topic, can you elaborate of the 2n3055 transistor and what this transistor does? Relative to this neve 1073 or other gear they may be in? I have been trying to understand more about this transistor being in a different unit, however the function may be similar seeing that both pieces can be used for amplification. Thanks in advance for any infos you can provide
Old 8th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
Please excuse me for a being a little off topic, can you elaborate of the 2n3055 transistor and what this transistor does? Relative to this neve 1073 or other gear they may be in? I have been trying to understand more about this transistor being in a different unit, however the function may be similar seeing that both pieces can be used for amplification. Thanks in advance for any infos you can provide
Hi

It passes a constant current of around 80mA dc through the primary winding of the output transformer. The audio is superimposed on top of that.

Given that a 2N3055 transistor is a 115 watt power transistor with not so bright a frequency response it was an interesting choice and the frequency response of the Motorola version is the best.

So while the cloners blindly go ahead mimicking this circuit, I went a completely different route with a different circuit with different high speed transistors and different output transformer fed with a different current.

That's progress!

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search