The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neve 5305
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

Neve 5305

Hi there!
If anyone has any info on the neve 5305 console it would be greatly appreciated. I have a lead on one, but dont know that much about them. Is it class A? Which modules does it have? any owners of one out there with a pic or schematic?
let me know!
Craig
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig dreyer View Post
Hi there!
If anyone has any info on the neve 5305 console it would be greatly appreciated. I have a lead on one, but dont know that much about them. Is it class A? Which modules does it have? any owners of one out there with a pic or schematic?
let me know!
Craig
Hi Craig

Also answered on my forum!

No, none of the 53 series or 51 or 81 are class A.

It uses 33114, 33115 or 33117 (no EQ) channell amps.

The console left the factory as either a 12 ch 4 bus or 20 ch 4 bus. At least one was made 36 ch 4 bus. Some consoles have been joined together, post Neve, to get more channels.

It's a nice console... there's a picture on my photo page.

http://www.auroraaudio.net/aa_html/n...oles/5305.html

Old 6th February 2007
Gear Head

Here's mine:

As Geoff T said it's not class A, It's class AB ( I don't know if you know what that means, but if you don't, check it out ).

There are a few modules that can be used on this board, mine are the discrete 33115 pre/eq modules, they sound really good. If you're really interested it should be easy to find a studio that has a couple, and try them out.
If you're going to be mixing a lot and you don't have a lot of outboard eq's I'd recomend the 33114's wich have extra eq points (same pre).

I did a couple of mod's to mine wich for me are essential:

-Direct outs , gota have them if you're going to record more than 7 tracks at a time
-Monitor section, mine was originally mono ( I'm not sure if they're all like that), so I basically had a new monitor section made taking the signal after the stereo bus ( I also put in a 2-track input )

and that was it.

Now keep in mind this is a limited desk as far as flexibility goes ( compared to say, a mackie 8-bus ). That means you have to be creative and know your setup in order to make it work in a regular gig, especialy mixing (recording is pure joy). But when you do, the sound makes up for all the patch bay antics ( wich I kind of enjoy (most of the time)).

The thing about this console is that it fills a niche pretty much on its own. You basically trade flexibility for really good sound ( and if you use a DAW it's not really a big deal).
Boutique consoles like the daking are not that much more flexible and cost a lot more.

the caveat (wich applies to all old gear) is to know the condition of the particular desk you're looking at. if the price is right I would strongly recommend it.

it is a trully beautiful console.

let me know if you need any other info as far as using this board everyday goes,

for technical info I refer you to geoff T, there is a lot of info about it on his site,

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Neve 5305-neve5305.jpg  
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Maniac

NEVE 53 36 ch. 4 buss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi Craig

Also answered on my forum!

No, none of the 53 series or 51 or 81 are class A.

It uses 33114, 33115 or 33117 (no EQ) channell amps.

The console left the factory as either a 12 ch 4 bus or 20 ch 4 bus. At least one was made 36 ch 4 bus. Some consoles have been joined together, post Neve, to get more channels.

It's a nice console... there's a picture on my photo page.

http://www.auroraaudio.net/aa_html/n...oles/5305.html

Geoff:

Are you saying my NEVE 36 channel, 4 buss is the only one in existence or ever made?
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear
Sweet Sounding console

I have heard Long-live-Analog's console. It is silky on the top and nice and fat on the bottom. What a beauty.
Old 7th February 2007
w2w
Lives for gear

fadista...That is a beautiful desk!!
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2w View Post
fadista...That is a beautiful desk!!
Yeah, the 53 series desks are very cool desks and compared to an 80 series are a great bargain. I have been very happy with this desk and I have owned API, NEVE 5116, Daking, Neotek, D&R, Trident and MCIs which all had their strengths and weaknesses as well. I guess I'm a serial and fickeled console owner.
Old 6th October 2007
Here's a question... or a few:

Of the four power supplies, which powers the various sections of the desk?

The 'listen' toggle on the routing modules is a solo? if so:
Why do some modules (727) click into post listen, and some (728) click into pre listen, but are momentary toggles on the other position?

To get signal out of the desk, do you NEED a routing module installed in that I/O (via insert send)? I'm pretty sure that a routing I/O must be installed to use the direct outs

What's the functional difference between a 727 and 728 routing module?

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions soon... We JUST 'finished' the install this week, and did a test session.
Old 7th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanojohn View Post
Here's a question... or a few:

Of the four power supplies, which powers the various sections of the desk?

The 'listen' toggle on the routing modules is a solo? if so:
Why do some modules (727) click into post listen, and some (728) click into pre listen, but are momentary toggles on the other position?

To get signal out of the desk, do you NEED a routing module installed in that I/O (via insert send)? I'm pretty sure that a routing I/O must be installed to use the direct outs

What's the functional difference between a 727 and 728 routing module?

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions soon... We JUST 'finished' the install this week, and did a test session.
Hi

As I mentioned on the other forum, just remember that this console did not leave the Neve factory looking like that and many hands have dabbled with it including the joining up.

So, if functions don't make sense, it's more likely a sloppy modification than a Neve design issue.

I don't do console mods anymore but my general policy is to rip out all the modifications on consoles like yours and re-engineer them Neve style.

One test it's worth you trying ASAP is to check the bus noise with the monitor volume pot at maximum. If they didn't get the grounding/B- bus issues right, you may be dissappointed.

Old 1st October 2011
Here for the gear

Hey, does anyone have some documentation about Neve 53 ?
pdf or other spec sheets ?

Tx !
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorfon View Post
Hey, does anyone have some documentation about Neve 53 ?
pdf or other spec sheets ?

Tx !
not much but give me your mail and I'll send you what i have
Old 1st October 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot. I PM u
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

I've got a 5315, but not much documentation. I figured out the Plessey connector pinout.. was a little bit of a head scratcher because of 1 common ground pin. I can send you the pin-out if you like.. just pm me with your e-mail address and I'll dig it up.

You can also find info on Dan Alexanders site. There are schematics for various Neve modules. Here is a link to the page..

Neve Modules Information

Happy hunting...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search