The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Punchy & tight like API 550A
Old 3rd April 2016
Gear Maniac
Punchy & tight like API 550A

I'm planning to get a pair of 550A's for Drumbuss. I'm looking for punchy and tight in a vintage John-Lennon-Imagine-Album way.
Just wanted to make sure that i'm not missing some other options.
Doesn't have to be 500 modules.
Any recommendations?
I know the CAPI Lovechild would go in that direction, too. Anyone compared these to the API 550A's?
Thanks guys.
Old 3rd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracki View Post
I'm planning to get a pair of 550A's for Drumbuss. I'm looking for punchy and tight in a vintage John-Lennon-Imagine-Album way.
Just wanted to make sure that i'm not missing some other options.
Doesn't have to be 500 modules.
Any recommendations?
I know the CAPI Lovechild would go in that direction, too. Anyone compared these to the API 550A's?
Thanks guys.
You might want to check out the Avedis E27. I'm not sure I'll call it vintage, but for sure sounds very analog and it's not a clone of the 550a although it shares some of the philosophy. A lot of people like the pultecs and if you want an api there's the 5500 which might be a little bit more versatile..but at this level it's really a matter of taste.

There's also a plugin of the E27 (from PSP) that is pretty amazing for the itb guys.
Check out the video on youtube..

That's said the 550a is really cool.

Cheu
Old 3rd April 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
You might want to check out the Avedis E27. I'm not sure I'll call it vintage, but for sure sounds very analog and it's not a clone of the 550a although it shares some of the philosophy. A lot of people like the pultecs and if you want an api there's the 5500 which might be a little bit more versatile..but at this level it's really a matter of taste.

There's also a plugin of the E27 (from PSP) that is pretty amazing for the itb guys.
Check out the video on youtube..

That's said the 550a is really cool.

Cheu
Hey Cheu.
Totally forgot about the Pultec's. I'm looking for a pillowy kind of punchy and tight - if that makes any sense - so, Pultec's might really work.
I have a pair for Mixbuss, built by Ian of Analogue Addicts. They sound great.
Have heard good things about the Pulse Techniques EQP-500. Might be an option.
I'm going to take a look at the Avedis E27.
Old 4th April 2016
Ward Beck.
Old 4th April 2016
RND 551s. Inductor bass ftw
British 60s sound? Neve

Fivefish peq
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracki View Post
Hey Cheu.
Totally forgot about the Pultec's. I'm looking for a pillowy kind of punchy and tight - if that makes any sense - so, Pultec's might really work.
I have a pair for Mixbuss, built by Ian of Analogue Addicts. They sound great.
Have heard good things about the Pulse Techniques EQP-500. Might be an option.
I'm going to take a look at the Avedis E27.
I also forgot the Electrodyne 511, very few bands and expensive for what you get imho (and not at the E27 level imho), but sounds very sweet and somewhat "vintage"..

Try to test the contenders in your place with your ears.. at this level, despite being all great, your taste or production goals might be different from other people's taste.

Cheu
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear

If vintage it's probably the saturated - ringing inductors sound you are attracted to. Look for that in any modern substitute. For just punchy and tight you can dial that in via any fully Parametric EQ that has 5 or 6 full range bands per channel. There are a number of hardware units that have that. A couple of the better deals are the used Klark Teknik DN-410 and Meyer CP-10. To do a Pultec like thing with a parametric, set nearly the same broad slope positive and negative curves. There are some old threads that get into that more with some digging here.
Old 5th April 2016
Gear Maniac
Thanks guys.
Bought a pair of vintage 550A's.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search