Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Little Labs MONOTOR.... WOW (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1078101-little-labs-monotor-wow.html)

Gitaarwerk 9th February 2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briaboy (Post 13117563)
Interesting - they are very different beasts certainly, Monotor is a headphone amp pure and simple whereas the Solaris is primarily a converter (and has only one headphone out!).

Sorry for quoting an old post. I recently aquired a solaris. I use it as my main monitor controller and concertor, and I love it. Its much better than my apollo silverface for monitoring. But unfortubately, my HD650 is still a little underpowered. I was looking into Schiit Valhalla. The only thing I dont like is that I have to add a potentiometer as volume, instead of stepped attenuator. Then again, the monotor also got it perhaps.

kirito 9th February 2019 04:46 PM

Yes that's good idea @ adam_f ! The only worry is to choose very good cables to keep the transparency because we create another step to go to interface.

adam_f 9th February 2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirito (Post 13801106)
Yes that's good idea @ adam_f ! The only worry is to choose very good cables to keep the transparency because we create another step to go to interface.

This is passive, so not much going on in there (switch and pot,) the big thing was finding something that was the right impedance, this did the trick.

whippoorwill 9th February 2019 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gitaarwerk (Post 13801102)
Sorry for quoting an old post. I recently aquired a solaris. I use it as my main monitor controller and concertor, and I love it. Its much better than my apollo silverface for monitoring. But unfortubately, my HD650 is still a little underpowered. I was looking into Schiit Valhalla. The only thing I dont like is that I have to add a potentiometer as volume, instead of stepped attenuator. Then again, the monotor also got it perhaps.

You can remove the pot from the circuit in the monotor

Gitaarwerk 10th February 2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whippoorwill (Post 13801820)
You can remove the pot from the circuit in the monotor

That's very true. It wouldn't be hard to do that. Then, on the other hand, I can also buy a DIY kit :-)

Henrik Hjortnaes 10th February 2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gitaarwerk (Post 13802401)
That's very true. It wouldn't be hard to do that. Then, on the other hand, I can also buy a DIY kit :-)

"Removing" the pot from the circuit can be done by pushing two switches :) Let me find a video...

YouTube

kirito 13th February 2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam_f (Post 13800476)
No, the headphones still come out of the Monotor, while the Nano Patch sits between the Monotor and the mains and only feeds the mains. However, after talking with Jonathan Little, we figured the passive Nano Patch would work (impedance wise,) you should give him a call and can help you figure if the Palmer will be a good combo.

I asked him and he impolitely replied me... ' use yours ears ' :facepalm:cooge

So i bought it anyway... and it works great no problem :) i like that it's passive!

Gitaarwerk 14th February 2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes (Post 13802451)
"Removing" the pot from the circuit can be done by pushing two switches :) Let me find a video...

YouTube

That's very cool! :-)

ionian 14th February 2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes (Post 13802451)

YouTube

What's up with that double width monitor on the bottom with the three headphone outs and the two volume controls?!

kirito 3rd May 2019 08:44 PM

Does anyone have tried Little Labs monotor with Focal Clear ? Is it a good combination ?

matherne 4th May 2019 04:41 PM

Did they ever make that 3 out headphone amp in the video? I have seen a few pics but have never found it. It would be perfect for my needs in the control room.

kirito 4th May 2019 05:07 PM

I didn't saw it on sale, maybe you can ask them directly

matherne 11th May 2019 02:39 AM

Checked with them and the 3 channel was a one time make to see if there was interest. Not put into production.

whippoorwill 11th May 2019 10:31 PM

has anyone ever tried to DC power it from a battery?
Or has anyone tried anyone battery powered headphone amps that came close in quality?

Resolved 28th June 2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whippoorwill (Post 13543485)
I'd recommend making some short Grimm TPR cables or buying Vovox Link Direct.
Mogami is good, but Grimm TPR is better and at interconnect length cost shouldn't be a factor, especially living in Europe close to Grimm.

I've tried Sommer Onyx, Carbokab, Grimm TPR, Van Damme, Vovox, Mogami, Digiflex, random unbranded cabling and homemade braided cotton tubing and occ copper wires.

Hi, thanks for this information regarding cables and the Monotor. I have recently purchased an UAD Apollo mk2 and already have a little labs Montor. Can you explain what is the best way to connect the two together?

Were you referring to these cables? https://www.thomann.de/ie/vovox_link...0_trs_xlrm.htm

Thanks for any assistance.

whippoorwill 28th June 2019 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resolved (Post 14065993)
Hi, thanks for this information regarding cables and the Monotor. I have recently purchased an UAD Apollo mk2 and already have a little labs Montor. Can you explain what is the best way to connect the two together?

Were you referring to these cables? https://www.thomann.de/ie/vovox_link...0_trs_xlrm.htm

Thanks for any assistance.

Those are excellent professional cables that you have linked to and are exactly what I am talking about, they look great and have an excellent sound.

I found many little refinements to the monotor and possibly the best way to use it is to disengage the front knob and use that vovox directly from your Apollo to the monotor and control the volume from the apollo.

Resolved 29th June 2019 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whippoorwill (Post 14066243)
Those are excellent professional cables that you have linked to and are exactly what I am talking about, they look great and have an excellent sound.

I found many little refinements to the monotor and possibly the best way to use it is to disengage the front knob and use that vovox directly from your Apollo to the monotor and control the volume from the apollo.

Great, that's precisely what I was looking to hear.

kirito 29th June 2019 05:19 PM

Disengage the front knob and control it from the interface will change it sounds ?

whippoorwill 29th June 2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirito (Post 14067352)
Disengage the front knob and control it from the interface will change it sounds ?

yes there is a minor loss of high end from the front potentiometer, you can hear more open-ness and sometimes it exposes noise in other systems.

kirito 29th June 2019 09:26 PM

Oh i see thanks. Il will try it on my system i have a prism lyra 1, can be interesting !

kirito 30th June 2019 02:01 PM

I think i wont do it in the end... It seems like the monotor has to be level max in order to bypass it. So interface will control the monotor set to level max. I could maybe manage this with the prism, but when i will listen to my speakers i will have a very loud sound coming from my headphone in the same time. There are not mute switch on the monotor

fabriciom 25th December 2019 01:05 PM

Hello,

Anyone with the original phonitor and this unit can comment if its worth buying?

Thanks!

Deleted 69d816e 23rd January 2020 09:06 PM

Any recommendations on the Monotor vs Dangerous Source purely in headphone amp quality? I'd be feeding out of a dangerous convert 2 line level. I love dangerous gear but the source seems like theres more bells and whistles then just a purely dedicated headphone amp. I Want the best sound however.

musaee 24th January 2020 01:58 AM

wow is right

the monotor and the sennheiser hd600s with the cardas cable has changed my life!

i don't exactly "mix" on the headphones... but i can judge the bass and balance in the headphones seemingly much better than my monitors

its basically the setup the creator of the monotor says he uses.

its incredible

Deleted 69d816e 24th January 2020 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musaee (Post 14484999)
the monotor and the sennheiser hd600s with the cardas cable has changed my life!

i don't exactly "mix" on the headphones... but i can judge the bass and balance in the headphones seemingly much better than my monitors

its basically the setup the creator of the monotor says he uses.

its incredible

whats this caradas cable? could you send me a link by chance? there's a lot that comes up on a google search. I'm leaning towards the monotor because its less expensive, you can bypass the volume pot and just use my converter pot which is better quality. Dangerous makes great gear though. its probably pretty negligable cause the conversion is going to be top quality going into either

musaee 24th January 2020 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
its almost $200...i'm not usually one of the cable guys but...

i most definitely hear a difference vs the stock cable

https://www.moon-audio.com/cardas-cr...SABEgI7N_D_BwE

here's a blurb from the monotor manual

Deleted 69d816e 24th January 2020 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musaee (Post 14486514)
its almost $200...i'm not usually one of the cable guys but...

i most definitely hear a difference vs the stock cable

https://www.moon-audio.com/cardas-cr...SABEgI7N_D_BwE

here's a blurb from the monotor manual

Ok thanks so much! I think I'm going to get a pair of Hd600's and the monotor then and get this cable once I've had some time with these stock. Im excited, Hopefully this will be a big improvement over my current situation!

kirito 16th April 2020 11:56 PM

Recently i notice a buzz Sound coming from the external power supply. When my room is totally silent i can hear it, that's a bit annoying..

Am i the only one with this problem ?

My monotor is connected to a ' Cyberpower ' UPS ( line interactive )

adam_f 17th April 2020 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirito (Post 14665813)
Recently i notice a buzz Sound coming from the external power supply. When my room is totally silent i can hear it, that's a bit annoying..

No issues here, contact Jonathan Little; he’s the best!

StevenLMorgan 17th April 2020 03:11 AM

I have 3 Monotors, no sound from any of the three power sources.

BTW, the newer power supply is a little different than the original, I can't hear a difference. You can buy a new power supply if required.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirito (Post 14665813)