The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Little Labs MONOTOR.... WOW
Old 6th August 2018
Lives for gear
After reading this thread, now I have to get one. It will be hooked to a pair of TT cables, then I can tap the patch bay and check every signal.

Slutz........Dam you!
Old 7th August 2018
Lives for gear

Trying the beast for few hours now... It's really good.

In comparaison I think the headphone output of my interface is not a disaster, the Audient iD22.

But yes, much more clarity, punch and depth. All of this even at low level, which is an important point for me

Big invest but i'm happy.

next step will be to buy Mogami TRS cables to connect it to my interface
Old 26th August 2018
Hey there,
Has anyone compared the Monotor to the Grace M905's headphone o/p?

Thomas Ross Johansen
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Head

Monotor vs Lake People g103-p, who wins?
Old 28th September 2018
Gear Addict

I'm using a Benchmark DAC2 HGC as my main converter and headphone amp at the moment, and I'm wondering how much of an improvement the Monotor will be. My main reason for buying the DAC2 was that it was both a serious converter and a serious headphone amp, as opposed to other serious converters where the headphone amp is less of a priority.

I'm drawn to the Monotor because of the extensive mono monitoring options - I'm really keen to have those options on a hardware knob rather than in software. But I'm just wondering how much of an improvement it would be as a headphone amp versus the DAC2.
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear

I bought some mogami cables for this headphone amp. It's crazy how cables can change sound quality. Low end became more clear and kicks are more punchy
Old 29th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito View Post
I bought some mogami cables for this headphone amp. It's crazy how cables can change sound quality. Low end became more clear and kicks are more clear
Hi Kirito, do you have a link to where to buy those cables? Would love to try those between my Apollo Twin mkII and the Monotor.
Old 30th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco1175 View Post
Hi Kirito, do you have a link to where to buy those cables? Would love to try those between my Apollo Twin mkII and the Monotor.
I'd recommend making some short Grimm TPR cables or buying Vovox Link Direct.
Mogami is good, but Grimm TPR is better and at interconnect length cost shouldn't be a factor, especially living in Europe close to Grimm.

I've tried Sommer Onyx, Carbokab, Grimm TPR, Van Damme, Vovox, Mogami, Digiflex, random unbranded cabling and homemade braided cotton tubing and occ copper wires.
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
I'd recommend making some short Grimm TPR cables or buying Vovox Link Direct.
Mogami is good, but Grimm TPR is better and at interconnect length cost shouldn't be a factor, especially living in Europe close to Grimm.

I've tried Sommer Onyx, Carbokab, Grimm TPR, Van Damme, Vovox, Mogami, Digiflex, random unbranded cabling and homemade braided cotton tubing and occ copper wires.
Just ordered a couple of meters of Grimm TRP cable and some Neutrik xlr’s and jacks. Really curious if I will be able to hear a difference I am using Klotz cables with Neutrik xlr/jack’s right now.
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just ordered a couple of meters of Grimm TRP cable and some Neutrik xlr’s and jacks. Really curious if I will be able to hear a difference I am using Klotz cables with Neutrik xlr/jack’s right now.
What headphones are you using?

One interesting way to test is to play a mono signal, like some 50's Jazz (I used a high quality version of this song: YouTube )
Have Left input on the monotor being fed by one cable and the Right by the other, then use the monotor mono L & R switch to check between the two, better yet, get an assistant to do that bit while you don't look.
Then stereo signals.

You can also send one signal out of outputs 1&2 on a DAC to inputs 1&2 on the monotor, and 3&4 to the parallel inputs. Then use a DAW to flip back and forth.

You get a bit more performance out of the monotor by switching off the pot, be careful of the signal levels you send it though!
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Nut

Audeze LCD-X and Sennheiser HD650

Now that’s a great idea to check the difference in cables with the Monotor! Thanks!

Quote:

One interesting way to test is to play a mono signal, like some 50's Jazz (I used a high quality version of this song: YouTube )
Have Left input on the monotor being fed by one cable and the Right by the other, then use the monotor mono L & R switch to check between the two, better yet, get an assistant to do that bit while you don't look.
Then stereo signals.

You can also send one signal out of outputs 1&2 on a DAC to inputs 1&2 on the monotor, and 3&4 to the parallel inputs. Then use a DAW to flip back and forth.

You get a bit more performance out of the monotor by switching off the pot, be careful of the signal levels you send it though!
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Nut

Ok, so I made myself a pair of those GRIMM cables and did the mono test with the Monotor like you said. I downloaded that Billie Holiday’s song in a FLAC version and then some Beatles Sgt.Peppers (original mono mix) I’m sure other people have better ears than mine but still I could really hear a difference, much to my surprise actually. The sound had more “air, presence” to it with the GRIMM cable. I could clearly hear that when the saxophone kicks in in that Billie Holiday song. Listening to The Beatles I could also hear a more refined, less muffled bass guitar/stand-up bass. Really happy I did this experiment. Cables DO make a difference

Quote:

Then stereo signals.

Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, so I made myself a pair of those GRIMM cables and did the mono test with the Monotor like you said. I downloaded that Billie Holiday’s song in a FLAC version and then some Beatles Sgt.Peppers (original mono mix) I’m sure other people have better ears than mine but still I could really hear a difference, much to my surprise actually. The sound had more “air, presence” to it with the GRIMM cable. I could clearly hear that when the saxophone kicks in in that Billie Holiday song. Listening to The Beatles I could also hear a more refined, less muffled bass guitar/stand-up bass. Really happy I did this experiment. Cables DO make a difference
Amazing! Congratulations.
Vovox is a little step up again. Grimm is an excellent cable and I am about to order more lengths of Grimm to use as microphone cables. It's great to have good cabling in your monitoring chain, where it makes the most difference and allows you to hear more minute differences. The end result is I make EQ and compression choices faster than ever, or judge microphone positioning a little bit more accurately and quickly so the results actually end up translating better down to crappy speakers.

I'd love to try the LCD-X someday.
Old 6th October 2018
Gear Nut

That’s what I’m going to do as well. With the rest of the Grimm TRP cable I am going to make a pair of mic cables for overdubs/vocal/guitar tracking

Quote:
Amazing! Congratulations.
Vovox is a little step up again. Grimm is an excellent cable and I am about to order more lengths of Grimm to use as microphone cables. It's great to have good cabling in your monitoring chain, where it makes the most difference and allows you to hear more minute differences. The end result is I make EQ and compression choices faster than ever, or judge microphone positioning a little bit more accurately and quickly so the results actually end up translating better down to crappy speakers.

I'd love to try the LCD-X someday.
Old 8th October 2018
Lives for gear

Never heard about Grimm before, i will try too if i can.

I spend hours listening with the little monotor... I think it's so good, it reveals if you have a good interface or not

I can hear some kind of unpleasant light distorsion from my Audient iD22 with FLAC and other lossless files. And of course YouTube. Distorsion become really obvious too.

It's like the monotor asking me to buy a better interface.. xd a lyra 2 probably
Old 8th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never heard about Grimm before, i will try too if i can.

I spend hours listening with the little monotor... I think it's so good, it reveals if you have a good interface or not

I can hear some kind of unpleasant light distorsion from my Audient iD22 with FLAC and other lossless files. And of course YouTube. Distorsion become really obvious too.

It's like the monotor asking me to buy a better interface.. xd a lyra 2 probably
It really is an ear-opening piece of gear!
Old 13th October 2018
Lives for gear

has anyone noticed a slight improvement of sound in R/L vs L/R?
I set up a test rig to switch the stereo channels sent out at the same time.
Old 16th January 2019
Quote:
Trying the beast for few hours now... It's really good.

In comparaison I think the headphone output of my interface is not a disaster, the Audient iD22.

But yes, much more clarity, punch and depth. All of this even at low level, which is an important point for me

next step will be to buy Mogami TRS cables to connect it to my interface
Are you still using this setup? Where is the Monotor placed in your signal chain? Are you using the volume control on the iD22 for main speaker level? Is it in any way disruptive to the workflow compared to not having it in the chain? Any further comments on using this setup?
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Still using this setup. Monotor is just placed on the outputs of the iD22. Yes i use volume main knob for speakers but i will buy a second hand Prism interface soon probably so setup will change.

I never tried other headphone amp its my first one but i can't live without now. Sometimes i just listen to music to relax after work and i can't stop, because i hear things i never heard before. So maybe there are better then monotor but i'm happy with it
Old 25th January 2019
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Are there people here who use the Monotor to connect speakers on the second outputs ?
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are there people here who use the Monotor to connect speakers on the second outputs ?
Yes!

I use the TRS jacks on the rear to connect to my monitors using a JBL Nano Patch for volume and mute control, basically I leave the nano patch in mute when listening to headphones from the Monitor, when I want to listen to the main, I un-mute the Nano Patch.
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Nice ! i want to do same setup with a palmer monicon volume controller.

Do you feel it changes the sound quality of the headphone output or not?
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice ! i want to do same setup with a palmer monicon volume controller.

Do you feel it changes the sound quality of the headphone output or not?
No, the headphones still come out of the Monotor, while the Nano Patch sits between the Monotor and the mains and only feeds the mains. However, after talking with Jonathan Little, we figured the passive Nano Patch would work (impedance wise,) you should give him a call and can help you figure if the Palmer will be a good combo.
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Okay thank you very much
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do.

SSL Sigma -> Monotor, sends-> Barefoot FP01s.

I use the Sigma Remote Control app to control the volume.(or from the volume knob on the Sigma)
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

If you need to listen to headphone only , you can mute your speakers ?
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Power switch on speakers.
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is why I have the Nano Patch, it has a mute switch; $59 and more importantly - compatible with Monotor.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search