Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Little Labs MONOTOR.... WOW (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1078101-little-labs-monotor-wow.html)

briaboy 13th January 2018 08:32 PM

Little Labs Monitor with Pro Tools 12
 
Fascinating thread.I have an Apollo 8, using latest Pro Tools 12 version. Any foreseeable issues (can it support 64-bit etc.)?

Thank you!

bb

pentagon 13th January 2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briaboy (Post 13069559)
Fascinating thread.I have an Apollo 8, using latest Pro Tools 12 version. Any foreseeable issues (can it support 64-bit etc.)?

Thank you!

bb

???
It's a completely analog device. It doesn't care about anything other than if you can give it analog signal.

briaboy 13th January 2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pentagon (Post 13069582)
???
It's a completely analog device. It doesn't care about anything other than if you can give it analog signal.

Got you, that's great.

briaboy 13th January 2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briaboy (Post 13069640)
Got you, that's great.

So what would you say are the advantages for my set up?

briaboy 14th January 2018 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdvmi (Post 11933278)
Just picked one of these up to go between my Apollo 8p and power my Sen HD800's. Hoping this will do the trick.

Hi- old thread I know, but just wondering how you got on using the LLM with the Apollo?

cheers,

bb

Mimieux 3rd February 2018 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiotechnica (Post 12324394)
Interesting. I have the Monotor and the Crane Song Solaris right now and they're both silent as a tomb and sound pretty much identical (listening on DT1770s and DT770s). I'm assuming the headphone out on the Avocet IIA will be the same quality as the Solaris at least, and likely better. We'll see when my Avocet IIA arrives in January.

My observations differ to yours audiotechnica. :)

To my ears, the monotor sounds slightly coloured and gritty compared to the Solaris. The monotor also seems to make music sound 'in your face', regardless of the genre that I'm listening to. I've listened to both units through a pair of HD600 and a pair of LCD-2 (yeuk!), and the differences between the monotor and the Solaris remain the same regardless of the headphones that I use.

IMO, the Solaris sounds clean and open compared to the monotor. The Solaris preserves ambience and depth better, and it also imparts a better sense of separation between instruments.

All of that aside, monotor vs. Solaris is hardly a fair comparison. :lol: Poor monotor. grimm

FWIW, I have scant experience with headphones and headphone amplifiers, and I rarely listen to music through headphones.

briaboy 3rd February 2018 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimieux (Post 13117552)
My observations differ to yours audiotechnica. :)

To my ears, the monotor sounds slightly coloured and gritty compared to the Solaris. The monotor also seems to make music sound 'in your face', regardless of the genre that I'm listening to. I've listened to both units through a pair of HD600 and a pair of LCD-2 (yeuk!), and the differences between the monotor and the Solaris remain the same regardless of headphones that I use.

IMO, the Solaris sounds clean and open compared to the monotor. It preserves ambience and depth better, and it also imparts a better sense of separation between instruments.

FWIW, I have scant experience with headphones and headphone amplifiers, and I rarely listen to music through headphones.

Interesting - they are very different beasts certainly, Monotor is a headphone amp pure and simple whereas the Solaris is primarily a converter (and has only one headphone out!).

Mimieux 3rd February 2018 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briaboy (Post 13117563)
Interesting - they are very different beasts certainly, Monotor is a headphone amp pure and simple whereas the Solaris is primarily a converter (and has only one headphone out!).

Different beasts indeed. :)

I've kept the monotor floating around my studio because it has four outputs and the ability to monitor R/L, L/R, L+R, L, R and L-R. Those functions are enough to justify keeping it for now.

diddlydoo

littlelabs 26th February 2018 09:09 PM

Please don't berate me for chiming in, I couldn't resist, but if you are comparing the solaris headphone out to the monotor, make sure you are using the solaris main discreet +24dB out, not the other solaris output which uses the same ic driver out as the Dangerous DA. Also you can bypass the monotor volume pot and use the solaris main volume pot, for easy tweaky comparison of the headphone out of the monotor and headphone out of the solaris. I own a Solaris and it's excellent, it's my DA ref, but sits in a rack, I need the monotor close to my listening position, but I use both. So I hear both all the time.
I was puzzled by a posters comment on the monotor having grain?? Not once has someone made that observation and I got some heavy cats who use it daily. I was trying to figure out how he couldn't tell the diff between DACs using the monotor which I certainly can, that's why I bought a Solaris, it's great, so I came to this conclusion on the outputs used, because they are different...unless his monotor is ****ed up? I tried PMing him no response, so here I am.

audiotechnica 6th March 2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimieux (Post 13117552)
My observations differ to yours audiotechnica. :)

To my ears, the monotor sounds slightly coloured and gritty compared to the Solaris. The monotor also seems to make music sound 'in your face', regardless of the genre that I'm listening to. I've listened to both units through a pair of HD600 and a pair of LCD-2 (yeuk!), and the differences between the monotor and the Solaris remain the same regardless of the headphones that I use.

IMO, the Solaris sounds clean and open compared to the monotor. The Solaris preserves ambience and depth better, and it also imparts a better sense of separation between instruments.

All of that aside, monotor vs. Solaris is hardly a fair comparison. :lol: Poor monotor. grimm

FWIW, I have scant experience with headphones and headphone amplifiers, and I rarely listen to music through headphones.

The Monotor and Avocet IIA sound practically identical. The Solaris headphone amp in comparison to them is weak, it has no punch, bass is flabby (though nowhere near as horrible as the Drawmer MC2.1 or the Mackie Big Knob, which are beyond terrible).

What you're calling "in your face" and "gritty" is the Monotor's superior transient response and tightness/punch, and the Avocet IIA sounds like that, too. I would not use the headphone amp on the Solaris for any critical listening.

Mimieux 24th March 2018 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlelabs (Post 13165896)
Please don't berate me for chiming in, I couldn't resist, but if you are comparing the solaris headphone out to the monotor, make sure you are using the solaris main discreet +24dB out, not the other solaris output which uses the same ic driver out as the Dangerous DA. Also you can bypass the monotor volume pot and use the solaris main volume pot, for easy tweaky comparison of the headphone out of the monotor and headphone out of the solaris. I own a Solaris and it's excellent, it's my DA ref, but sits in a rack, I need the monotor close to my listening position, but I use both. So I hear both all the time.
I was puzzled by a posters comment on the monotor having grain?? Not once has someone made that observation and I got some heavy cats who use it daily. I was trying to figure out how he couldn't tell the diff between DACs using the monotor which I certainly can, that's why I bought a Solaris, it's great, so I came to this conclusion on the outputs used, because they are different...unless his monotor is ****ed up? I tried PMing him no response, so here I am.

Hi Jonathon,

Thank you for chiming in, I think it’s great! I wish more manufacturers would adopt a similar approach.

I won’t be able to listen to the monotor via the Solaris' main outputs (anytime soon at least) because I borrowed both headphones from a friend.

If I were to describe the sound signature of the monotor alone, I wouldn't have used the word grainy, but that was the only adjective I could think of to explain the difference in sound between the monotor and the Solaris. That’s the ‘colour’ I perceived.

Have you listened to the Solaris and the Convert-2 through the monotor? If so, did you notice any differences, and if you did, what were the differences?

Of course, we can’t rule out the possibility that my monotor behaves abnormally. Or perhaps my hearing is less acute than your own/that of other people. I'm willing to keep an open mind to these things.

(Apologies for my delayed response, life has kept me busy.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiotechnica (Post 13183035)
The Monotor and Avocet IIA sound practically identical. The Solaris headphone amp in comparison to them is weak, it has no punch, bass is flabby (though nowhere near as horrible as the Drawmer MC2.1 or the Mackie Big Knob, which are beyond terrible).

What you're calling "in your face" and "gritty" is the Monotor's superior transient response and tightness/punch, and the Avocet IIA sounds like that, too. I would not use the headphone amp on the Solaris for any critical listening.

When I compared the monotor to the Solaris, I didn't perceive superior transient response or superior tightness/punch in the monotor. Perhaps the headphones I used (or my ears!) didn't expose these differences.

A little 'off topic', but I'd be hesitant to use any pair of headphones for truly critical listening. I suppose headphones offer a valid and useful alternative to a good pair of monitors in a treated room (and I understand that many people in the real world use headphones and earphones more than any other format, so the format is clearly relevant), but I've never truly enjoyed any pair of headphones (and yes, I haven't heard any top-of-the-line cans, so perhaps I'm a little naïve.).

audiotechnica 26th March 2018 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimieux (Post 13217545)
When I compared the monotor to the Solaris, I didn't perceive superior transient response or superior tightness/punch in the monotor. Perhaps the headphones I used (or my ears!) didn't expose these differences.

Very possible. I was listening on DT1770s and DT1990s. I heard a very obvious difference between the Avocet IIA/Monotor headphone outs and the Solaris headphone out. The bass on the Solaris was flabbier compared to the other two.

ripripstabstab 26th April 2018 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiotechnica (Post 13221351)
Very possible. I was listening on DT1770s and DT1990s. I heard a very obvious difference between the Avocet IIA/Monotor headphone outs and the Solaris headphone out. The bass on the Solaris was flabbier compared to the other two.

Are you currently using one of the Solaris’ rear outputs to feed the Monotor? I’m looking to add more outputs to my Solaris and came across this... wondering about the best way to set it up.

ellekei 2nd May 2018 03:34 AM

I have a Monotor on the way. I'll be using it with Senn HD600s. I'm curious to know how much of a difference I can expect as I move from the 'Apollo 8 Quad' headphone amp to this. Also, what will be the ideal cables to feed the Monotor from the Apollo outs.

Thank you. yingyang

Edit: I have prior experience with the Schiit Magni 2, but I got rid of that once starting with the Apollo series. Magni was cool, but I felt Apollo was as, if not more, capable.

audiotechnica 2nd May 2018 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripripstabstab (Post 13280074)
Are you currently using one of the Solaris’ rear outputs to feed the Monotor? I’m looking to add more outputs to my Solaris and came across this... wondering about the best way to set it up.

I'm using the Avocet IIA. When I had the Solaris, the Monotor and Avocet IIA sounded identical on headphones. The Solaris' headphone output was flabby.

Doc Mixwell 2nd May 2018 03:01 PM

HD600/Monotor = Exceptional. Difference will be large and obese

ripripstabstab 3rd May 2018 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiotechnica (Post 13291683)
I'm using the Avocet IIA. When I had the Solaris, the Monotor and Avocet IIA sounded identical on headphones. The Solaris' headphone output was flabby.

The Solaris' headphone output is not flabby with DT 1990 Pros or HD600s.

Quoting you, "I have the Monotor and the Crane Song Solaris right now and they're both silent as a tomb and sound pretty much identical (listening on DT1770s and DT770s)."

Which is it? How did you have the Monotor set up with the Solaris?

audiotechnica 3rd May 2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripripstabstab (Post 13293625)
The Solaris' headphone output is not flabby with DT 1990 Pros or HD600s.

Quoting you, "I have the Monotor and the Crane Song Solaris right now and they're both silent as a tomb and sound pretty much identical (listening on DT1770s and DT770s)."

Which is it? How did you have the Monotor set up with the Solaris?

Yeah I take that back. That post is from December 2016. I did not do a thorough comparison until I got the Avocet IIA in February 2017. At that time I also had the Monotor plugged into the fixed-level outs on the Solaris instead of the main outs, and I only had the 1770s and 770s, no 1990s. Once I got the Avocet IIA, I was scrutinizing it against the Solaris very closely to decide which to keep and that's when I discovered the headphone out is not as good as on the Avocet IIA. At that point I also already had the 1990s and got fully used to them and stopped using the less accurate 770s. I returned the Solaris after having it for about two weeks side by side with the Avocet IIA. I stand by my current opinion that the Monotor and Avocet IIA headphone outs are superior to the one on the Solaris.

Fun fact: Open them all up and you'll see how beefy the Avocet IIA headphone amplifier and the Monotor are in comparison to the Solaris' headphone amp.

ripripstabstab 3rd May 2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiotechnica (Post 13294080)
Yeah I take that back. That post is from December 2016. I did not do a thorough comparison until I got the Avocet IIA in February 2017. At that time I also had the Monotor plugged into the fixed-level outs on the Solaris instead of the main outs, and I only had the 1770s and 770s, no 1990s. Once I got the Avocet IIA, I was scrutinizing it against the Solaris very closely to decide which to keep and that's when I discovered the headphone out is not as good as on the Avocet IIA. At that point I also already had the 1990s and got fully used to them and stopped using the less accurate 770s. I returned the Solaris after having it for about two weeks side by side with the Avocet IIA. I stand by my current opinion that the Monotor and Avocet IIA headphone outs are superior to the one on the Solaris.

Fun fact: Open them all up and you'll see how beefy the Avocet IIA headphone amplifier and the Monotor are in comparison to the Solaris' headphone amp.

Cool, I appreciate the details! kfhkh

Mainly looking to expand the outputs of the Solaris and, from the sound of it, it looks like the Monotor will do the trick. Thanks again.

ellekei 5th May 2018 04:15 AM

Got mine today. I work with drum machines and synthesizers in a hybrid setup utilizing hardware for sources and plugins for sound manipulation. The monotor is a huge improvement for clarity of sound over the apollo 8 quad output. The combination of the HD600+Monotor sounds very closely matched to my Neumann KH 120s and 805, with the headphones being more mid-focused and the monitors exhibiting greater balance due to the sub presence. heppy

jjblair 5th May 2018 04:29 AM

I do not do a session in an outside studio without bringing my Monotor and a pair of HD650s. The Monotor has fantastic headroom, and sounds so good. The transient response is crisp, and the mono summing options are extremely useful.

There's a room I get asked to work in frequently, whose acoustics are just downright confusing. My 650s and Monotor save my ass. It's the only way I can properly check phase in there, and hear the details I need to know.

In fact, the Monotor sounded so much better than the studio's headphone system that the drummer was begging me to let him use it on the last sessions I did there. It blew that system away in headroom and punch.

whippoorwill 5th May 2018 10:51 AM

So far my best results have been to remove the out-side foam of the HD600's, connect the outputs of my DA to the monotor via short Grimm TPR cables (tried a variety of cables) and disengage the monotor's potentiometer and control volume from the digital attenuator on the DA (also not perfect, but better than the reverse in my experience) and I always start sessions going straight from the preamp outputs on low. This is a truly wonderful sound and you only start to realise what everything else is doing to your signal when you start doing this.

Paco1175 28th June 2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjblair (Post 13298410)
I do not do a session in an outside studio without bringing my Monotor and a pair of HD650s. The Monotor has fantastic headroom, and sounds so good. The transient response is crisp, and the mono summing options are extremely useful.

There's a room I get asked to work in frequently, whose acoustics are just downright confusing. My 650s and Monotor save my ass. It's the only way I can properly check phase in there, and hear the details I need to know.

In fact, the Monotor sounded so much better than the studio's headphone system that the drummer was begging me to let him use it on the last sessions I did there. It blew that system away in headroom and punch.

Hi there! I do 90% of my work on my HD650's (don't have a decent mixing room at home) and track and mix at different (not always ideal sounding) studio's. I use the HD650's together with Sonarworks headphone calibration software (do you use that too or do you go straight into the Monotor?) The HD650's are connected to my Apollo Twin MKII but I really want to get the best possible/most accurate sound out of the HD650's for mixing. Do you think buying the Monotor would be a major upgrade? Thanks

jjblair 28th June 2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paco1175 (Post 13392734)
Hi there! I do 90% of my work on my HD650's (don't have a decent mixing room at home) and track and mix at different (not always ideal sounding) studio's. I use the HD650's together with Sonarworks headphone calibration software (do you use that too or do you go straight into the Monotor?) The HD650's are connected to my Apollo Twin MKII but I really want to get the best possible/most accurate sound out of the HD650's for mixing. Do you think buying the Monotor would be a major upgrade? Thanks

If there's not a problem, there's no reason to change a thing. I use the headphone output on my Apogee Symphony when I'm in my studio without any issue.

whippoorwill 28th June 2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paco1175 (Post 13392734)
Hi there! I do 90% of my work on my HD650's (don't have a decent mixing room at home) and track and mix at different (not always ideal sounding) studio's. I use the HD650's together with Sonarworks headphone calibration software (do you use that too or do you go straight into the Monotor?) The HD650's are connected to my Apollo Twin MKII but I really want to get the best possible/most accurate sound out of the HD650's for mixing. Do you think buying the Monotor would be a major upgrade? Thanks

Ask a retailer for a demo. HD650's have got limited high end and a strange upper bass and this was really revealed to me with the monotor, but it was the best sound I'd heard from my HD650's. I then sold them and replaced them with hd600s FWIW. Still not perfect, would love to try HD800 with super dupont again and it works excellently with focal spirit pro, which has limited width, bass and stereo separation compared to the HD650/600s, but is an excellently revealing tool for almost everything those headphones aren't good at.

kirito 26th July 2018 10:48 PM

Is there people who compared this Little Labs Monotor with the headphone amp built-in the Audient iD22 interface ?

I'm really curious if it's worth the investment, I Use a HD 650

Paco1175 27th July 2018 08:00 AM

Just ordered the Monotor and hope they will take my HD650 and Audeze LCD-2 (fazor) to the next level I think for mixing I prefer the HD650 with the sonarworks plugin to the LCD-2 (only just got the LCD-2) and might get a pre-calibrated pair from them.

kirito 27th July 2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paco1175 (Post 13439724)
Just ordered the Monotor and hope they will take my HD650 and Audeze LCD-2 (fazor) to the next level ������ I think for mixing I prefer the HD650 with the sonarworks plugin to the LCD-2 (only just got the LCD-2) and might get a pre-calibrated pair from them.

Oh great man! Please share your thinking on this setup :) ;m

Jack P 1st August 2018 11:26 PM

My brother purchased a monotor for his space from Funky Junk last week.

I just checked it out against the Apollo twin, the apollo sounded a bit
closed and muffled by comparison. The monotor to me has useful features
and a really really great sound.

The title of the thread is accurate. WOW

Mr. Tom 2nd August 2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlelabs (Post 13165896)
Please don't berate me for chiming in, I couldn't resist, but if you are comparing the solaris headphone out to the monotor, make sure you are using the solaris main discreet +24dB out, not the other solaris output which uses the same ic driver out as the Dangerous DA. Also you can bypass the monotor volume pot and use the solaris main volume pot, for easy tweaky comparison of the headphone out of the monotor and headphone out of the solaris. I own a Solaris and it's excellent, it's my DA ref, but sits in a rack, I need the monotor close to my listening position, but I use both. So I hear both all the time.
I was puzzled by a posters comment on the monotor having grain?? Not once has someone made that observation and I got some heavy cats who use it daily. I was trying to figure out how he couldn't tell the diff between DACs using the monotor which I certainly can, that's why I bought a Solaris, it's great, so I came to this conclusion on the outputs used, because they are different...unless his monotor is ****ed up? I tried PMing him no response, so here I am.

Hi!

Are you thinking of making a similar product but a monitor controller?
That'd be great!