The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1U Rackmount Mixer?
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

1U Rackmount Mixer?

Hi all, it's been awhile, been busy doing other things but slowly getting back into music.

I have a now old Mackie 1202VLZ pro mixer. Great little unit, I use it basically for some line mixing to my monitors. using about 8 of the 12 inputs, 6 of them line and two of them for some quick miking.

I was curious to know, I'd like to free up some rack space, is there an equal to better quality little line mixer with a couple of mic pre's that I could replace this 1202VLZ pro?
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

i dunno if the quality is up to what you're looking for, but Roland made a 1U mixer some time ago called the M120. it's a 12channel 2bus basic, no EQ mixer that gets the job done. i don't know how hard they are to find, but i always run across a few here and there in the 100-150 dollar range. hope this helps.
Old 5th February 2007
Deleted c40a31f
Yes, the Roland M series mixers are great! I own 2 M120s and one M160, These wqere mainly line input mixers though. The M012E has at least 2 mic inputs though I think.

Check Ebay, there are usually some on there.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Check out the Rane mixers as well.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

http://www.apiaudio.com/8mx2.html
Thank me later.
Old 5th February 2007
speck xsum
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Maniac

RANE SM82s very transparent (and can be made even cleaner with Jim Williams upgrade)

David
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
Hi all, it's been awhile, been busy doing other things but slowly getting back into music.

I have a now old Mackie 1202VLZ pro mixer. Great little unit, I use it basically for some line mixing to my monitors. using about 8 of the 12 inputs, 6 of them line and two of them for some quick miking.

I was curious to know, I'd like to free up some rack space, is there an equal to better quality little line mixer with a couple of mic pre's that I could replace this 1202VLZ pro?
Do you have a budget in mind? Also are you open to having separate mic pre's and line mixer? The reason that I ask is because you would be limiting your options with a combo unit. The ATI unit is one of the few units out there that would solve all of your needs.

I also really like the Speck line mixer, but this unit doesn't have pre's. This means you could get any flavor of pre-amp you wanted. You could even get two two-channel pre-amps so you can have some variety.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Below 100 $ street

Behringer 16-2, audio passes through it !
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex View Post
Man, I've had my eye on this thing for a long time now. Anyone have one? How are the pre's compared to the 3124? Same of different?
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
Man, I've had my eye on this thing for a long time now. Anyone have one? How are the pre's compared to the 3124? Same of different?
Not saying they're bad, but they are not in any way related to the 3124. The 8XM2 was made by Audio Toys Inc. (ATI), a company that later bought Automated Processes Inc. (API), the makers of all those legendary preamps and other processors. And that is the entire connection right there.

JSL
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the responses so far!

Basically looking for a cheap and cheerful mixer that's at least as "good" as my 1202VLZ pro, but in a 1U space instead of the upteen spaces the racked 1202VLZ pro mixer takes up.

I'm using Neve 1073 preamps for actual recording so the mixer is strictly for monitoring signals.

The Behringer product looks interesting, is there something like this but with a couple of mic pres and maybe one or two fx sends?

http://www.behringer.com/RX1602/index.cfm?lang=ENG
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Maniac

the rane is perfect for that. I can monitor my signal through a coleman or the rane (coming from a HEDD) and the rane definitly holds up.
Old 6th February 2007
Quote:
Thanks for the responses so far!

Basically looking for a cheap and cheerful mixer that's at least as "good" as my 1202VLZ pro, but in a 1U space instead of the upteen spaces the racked 1202VLZ pro mixer takes up.

I'm using Neve 1073 preamps for actual recording so the mixer is strictly for monitoring signals.

The Behringer product looks interesting, is there something like this but with a couple of mic pres and maybe one or two fx sends?

http://www.behringer.com/RX1602/index.cfm?lang=ENG
If you'll NEVER touch the pots, the berhringer will keep you in business for a year! thumbsup

Last edited by Reptil; 7th February 2007 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: and then it will die
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

The LA Audio SPX20 might serve your needs, would be a good choice quality wise, has no mic pres though...

http://www.laaudio.com/product_SPX20_1389.aspx

The Rane seems nice too.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

http://www.ashly.com/product/lx-308b-2.htm
http://www.ashly.com/product/mx-206-2.htm

I've not used those, but have liked all the Ashly products I have owned over the years.

Steve
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

I'd put the Speck XSum at the top of the list. It would be a nice step up from anything Mackie. We have one and while it doesn't have pres (a plus in my book) it is very transparent. It can make 2 seperate stereo mixes (with the little external breakout box that costs about $100). Everything on it is TRS. Also the spacing of the TRS ins is quite tight (32 ch in a single rack space...). I needed to get short XLR-TRS cables because the adapters didn't fit next to each other and everything I was putting into it was XLR out.

For more than 8 ch I can't think of anything else that is this clean.

-Silas
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

If the Mackie is working OK for you, you could just get a sliding rack shelf and mount the Mackie on that. Way less rack space.

DP
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

I was going to make what I thought was a funny bit of sarcasm and say, "Hey, we should move this thread to High End, where it rightfully belongs (along with the other Mackie, Rane and Behringer threads).

Then I noticed, um, that we're already in the high end.

Oh my, how far we have fallen...
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
No, the Mackie is really in a class of its own.

Your best bet is to do what I did -- either put it in a separate case, or put it in a drawer.
Old 31st March 2009
maybe this thread should migrate to low end.

i'm also currently looking for a 1U rack mixer. the Studio Projects 828 is my current front runner.
SP828 - 8-Channels, 2-Bus Mic Preamp
Old 31st March 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Below 100 $ street

Behringer 16-2, audio passes through it !
I use one of those, but honestly he's looking for something "better" than the mackie. the berry is not "better" and I think it doesn't have mic pres either (at least mine doesn't, not sure of the model I have though).

I do use it often live when playing keys with multiple synths and also during mixing if I need a submix and it's not a subtle quiet part (sounds fine but isn't uber quiet or anything, plenty good enough though).

cheers
Old 19th June 2009
got the sp828 a while back. very clean gain, completely happy with it.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKakon View Post
RANE SM82s very transparent (and can be made even cleaner with Jim Williams upgrade)

David

+1 on the Rane. Don't know about Jim's upgrade since I've not heard/used it, but I have two Ranes, and find them to be solid, dependable, and clean.

Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Alesis has one, without pres that is:
MultiMix 8 Line Eight-Channel Stereo Line Mixer
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

lads, two year old thread...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search