The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adele Hello Vocal Chain Condenser Microphones
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear

Adele Hello Vocal Chain

From the co-songwriter article and Tom Elmhirst mixing article.

Tracking: U47>1073>LA2A>Protools

Mixing: Protools>Neve VR72 channel>insert Neve 1066>Urie Bluestripe 1176>Fairchild 660>insert return>Protools
Reverb prints from Capital Studios Chambers
AMS delay, Eventide preset “Canyon,” a plate, a spring.
ITB: Notching EQ, De-essing, automation

Looks like I'm going to need to save some more money.
Old 31st March 2016
Great infos

Thank you very much !

R.
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post

or you could just engineer some sort of contribution to your field. But yah it does require some money.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Different strokes for different folks, but I don't like her vocal sound. I think she would sound much better through a vintage Neumann M49 with less reverb, delay and processing. Although cool on electric guitar, I am not a fan of the Eventide "Canyon" setting for vocals and I don't know why anyone would ever stack 4-5 different reverbs on top of each other for a female vocal on a pop or jazz record (I guess because they could!). I would also use an optical compressor (like an LA-2A or a Manley ELOP) on her as a Urei Blue Stripe, while absolutely incredible sounding on electric guitar, bass, kick drum, and hard rock vocals, is way too heavy handed (to my ears) to be used on something as delicate as a female vocal ballad or pop singer. But what do I know? She sells zillions of records and I don't.
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins View Post
Different strokes for different folks, but I don't like her vocal sound. I think she would sound much better through a vintage Neumann M49 with less reverb, delay and processing. Although cool on electric guitar, I am not a fan of the Eventide "Canyon" setting for vocals and I don't know why anyone would ever stack 4-5 different reverbs on top of each other for a female vocal on a pop or jazz record (I guess because they could!). I would also use an optical compressor (like an LA-2A or a Manley ELOP) on her as a Urei Blue Stripe, while absolutely incredible sounding on electric guitar, bass, kick drum, and hard rock vocals, is way too heavy handed (to my ears) to be used on something as delicate as a female vocal ballad or pop singer. But what do I know? She sells zillions of records and I don't.
it's what all the cool kids are doing.

While all the independents were poorly using heavy reverb, compression and saturation, now these great engineers are just using their brute force to do it with spades. Real-cool peeps...

but it has nothing to do with Adele or how many records she sells.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Mixing: Protools>Neve VR72 channel>insert Neve 1066>Urie Bluestripe 1176>Fairchild 660>insert return>Protools

No kidding! Just think how much it will cost to hire Adele to sing on your tracks

Adele>U47>1073>LA2A>Protools

The part in bold is the most important part of that chain, the rest isn't nearly as critical...
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
First lets just start with the fact that Adele's vocal sound comes right out of Adele's mouth. And yes, different strokes for different folks, no rights or wrongs.

Second, I don't think Tom "stacked" any reverbs, he had them available on sends from the console and used and blended them to taste per song.

Steve G
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

I don't think anyone is debating that Adele is fantastic. This is an engineering forum and gear forum. The key point is the tonality and sound of the vocal with that kind of treatment. She didn't sing the eq'd reverb and delays nor the upper slightly saturated midrange bump provided by the bluestripe or the expanded but controlled low volume information expanded by the Fairchild.

It's a chain, this is the sound you get with that chain, not the performance, the sound. I for one think it's engineering art outside the performance of the singer. The sonic paintbrushes used were interesting and educational, this was the point.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think anyone is debating that Adele is fantastic. This is an engineering forum and gear forum. The key point is the tonality and sound of the vocal with that kind of treatment. She didn't sing the eq'd reverb and delays nor the upper slightly saturated midrange bump provided by the bluestripe or the expanded but controlled low volume information expanded by the Fairchild.

It's a chain, this is the sound you get with that chain, not the performance, the sound. I for one think it's engineering art outside the performance of the singer. The sonic paintbrushes used were interesting and educational, this was the point.
Of course, and my comment was mostly in jest, no argument here. The point is that it will still sound like Adele regardless of which mic/pre/comp is used. All things interact, and her voice being the source instrument is 95% responsible for that sound. It would be pretty hard to mess up getting phenominal sounding vocals recorded with her in front of any half decent chain properly used.

Put Tiny Tim in front of that same chain, and no one would care what gear was used Put Adele in front of any chain, and people will naturally want to dissect it and try and recreate that magic. Perfectly understandable.

You can buy the exact same saxaphone that Bird played, but if it ain't Bird playing it, it won't ever sound the same.

Of course the engineering and mixing on Adele's records are top notch, no question. I guess my only point is that the source will still trump expensive gear, and sometimes we can run in (expensive) circles chasing down that sound.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

I get it, but listen to Adele on 19 then compare that to 25. Same voice, basic mixing and sound quality. The gear can't perform I agree, but it can enhance things creating a stronger emotional connection for a listener. There is a huge listening appeal difference between those two albums. Something which you can listen to over and over (25) versus one which sounds like a good singer but not nearly as compelling for repeated play (19).

Speaking of nice gear, no slouch there Squawk https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mystudio/38686-squawk/
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I get it, but listen to Adele on 19 then compare that to 25. Same voice, basic mixing and sound quality. The gear can't perform I agree, but it can enhance things creating a stronger emotional connection for a listener. There is a huge listening appeal difference between those two albums. Something which you can listen to over and over (25) versus one which sounds like a good singer but not nearly as compelling for repeated play (19).

Speaking of nice gear, no slouch there Squawk https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mystudio/38686-squawk/
I think that's just a matter of opinion. Nothing against the more recent stuff, but I actually liked the record 19.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
I think that's just a matter of opinion. Nothing against the more recent stuff, but I actually liked the record 19.
It is opinion but 19 is sonically not in the same league. I like 19 for it's raw vibe. A bit more ear candy on 25 though.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Ha, thank you. I totally understand what you are saying, and I am obviously fond of nice tools like you are. That's what I mean though. If I had Adele here, I could sell half the stuff in my studio, wouldn't need it
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Ha, thank you. I totally understand what you are saying, and I am obviously fond of nice tools like you are. That's what I mean though. If I had Adele here, I could sell half the stuff in my studio, wouldn't need it
Old 31st March 2016
u47 / 1073 and u87 / 1073 seems to always be the starting point of my favorite sounding records
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
...But what do I know? She sells zillions of records and I don't.
Do not be too hard on yourself. You do not have a film studio and world famous recording studio riding on your back. Gives people a little incentive to promote and buy the music

Oh, and I forgot a certain film franchise which has been running since the 50s/60s

Peace.

(c) 2016 Claud
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
...Of course the engineering and mixing on Adele's records are top notch, no question. I guess my only point is that the source will still trump expensive gear...
<SNIP - see forum rules>

I know that the same care and processing did not go into the sound of my voice after a day in a world class studio, as did for Adele. How could it? I was paying for it, unlike the young lady. Why, because, yes, she has more skill than me, and training, but like Amy Winehouse I suspect, she had the CEO of a major record company routing for her, unlike me, who had just myself and partner

And Amy flopped first time round (well considering the backing she had)! Did Adele? Do we know. Hello is not really a song, it is a production. Or did no one else notice?

Peace.

(c) 2016 Claud

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 19th April 2016 at 06:23 AM..
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud View Post
Hello is not really a song, it is a production. Or did no one else notice?
Actually, I thought that Hello was sung by Hillary Clinton.
Like some sort of illuminati mind-control production
Old 31st March 2016
lionel richie should be suing her, I think it sounds remarkably similar to his pop masterpiece
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
lionel richie should be suing her, I think it sounds remarkably similar to his pop masterpiece

That video still cracks me up
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

I really dont like how her vocal sounds.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post
u47 / 1073 and u87 / 1073 seems to always be the starting point of my favorite sounding records
Same here.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
Well, it's the same chords as Joan Osborne's "One Of Us". Which is not really unethical or anything like that... just a four chord sequence.

But by casting it as a piano based piece, and with the different melody/no pre chorus, etc... it winds up having a much different end result. But, I do think that's why it has an air of familiarity about it.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud View Post
Do not be too hard on yourself. You do not have a film studio and world famous recording studio riding on your back. Gives people a little incentive to promote and buy the music

Oh, and I forgot a certain film franchise which has been running since the 50s/60s

Peace.

(c) 2016 Claud
I just copied your post! neener neener

sorry, couldn't help myself
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
...Put Tiny Tim in front of that same chain, and no one would care what gear was used Put Adele in front of any chain, and people will naturally want to dissect it and try and recreate that magic...
We will never know if you are right, because no one has put Tiny Tim in a similar production budget since the early nineties Or maybe the 8os post punk?

Sadly, accountants and suits rule, rather than musicians these days. As musicians could recognise talent, even if it did not attend a conservatoire

Peace.

(c) 2016 Claud
Old 1st April 2016
Quote:

You miss CL1B, here is quote from Tom Elmhirst

''The chain in LA was the Neve 1066 (Mic pre/3-band EQ) to the Bluestripe UREI 1176 compressor into a Fairchild 660 limiter. I’m taking the multitrack return from Pro Tools to the line amp on the Neve 1066, then straight into the 1176 and 660 and back up the insert return.

The UREI is hitting and releasing quicker, while the Fairchild is doing a much slower attack and release. Here at Electric Lady I use a Neve 1081 into a Blackface 1176 and then into a Tube-Tech CL 1B compressor.''
Old 1st April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:

you forgot the end of the chain: convert to mp3> apple earbuds or laptop speakers
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
I don't think anyone is debating that Adele is fantastic. .
I am - I think she creates uninspired drivel for the masses . Give me the Velvet underground howling into a crappy mic any day.
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmss View Post
You miss CL1B, here is quote from Tom Elmhirst

Here at Electric Lady I use a Neve 1081 into a Blackface 1176 and then into a Tube-Tech CL 1B compressor.''
From the article I got the impression he mixed "Hello" in LA early in the process which was the Fairchild. The rest later in NY where yes, the CL 1B was used.
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Is the vocal sound better than her earlier stuff? Man alive, considering the budget, that was one of the worst vocal sounds I've heard. They even tuned her! Stay away!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search