The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adele Hello Vocal Chain Condenser Microphones
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
Is the vocal sound better than her earlier stuff? Man alive, considering the budget, that was one of the worst vocal sounds I've heard. They even tuned her! Stay away!
Go listen to 19 and then you will know.
Old 2nd April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
From the co-songwriter article and Tom Elmhirst mixing article.

Tracking: U47>1073>LA2A>Protools

Mixing: Protools>Neve VR72 channel>insert Neve 1066>Urie Bluestripe 1176>Fairchild 660>insert return>Protools
Reverb prints from Capital Studios Chambers
AMS delay, Eventide preset “Canyon,” a plate, a spring.
ITB: Notching EQ, De-essing, automation

Looks like I'm going to need to save some more money.
1066 - the better 1073
Old 4th April 2016
Quote:
Same here.
thanks for the info on what was used. one of the best songs recently quality wise.
Old 18th April 2016
Quote:
Go listen to 19 and then you will know.
Commercial success aside, I find the 19 and the 21 albums my most enjoyable to listen to, and the simpler songs rendered with one or two instruments, and the live versions thereof, when heard on a good monitoring setup - proper studio monitors for example, there's something truly enigmatic about her craft.

Whether the songs have meaning or not is another issue - debatable - maybe in two hundred years from now - Adele's lyrics may become celebrated like Shakespeare and taught in Universities/analysed. Anything is possible with humanity, especially with things that may not make much sense on the face of it, where we try to put it in some box, that we can grasp.

Lyrics aside, my ears cannot deny the phenomenal capture of that voice in her earlier albums. That gal can sing, and almost does not need much instrumentation. The production values on her early albums are very high. Every song a masterpiece from an auditory perspective. Why, they are unique - nobody in living history sounds like or sings like or is easily or closely reminiscent of the songs that Adele published, part of it is her London based dialectic vocal inflections, which are impossible for most other singers to copy, in the same way that try as you may, Rihanna's pronunciation influences from her upbringing and culture, are an inimitable signature, infused into anything she sings, difficult/probably impossible to copy.

But like most artists, that raw talent becomes infiltrated with the money bags and commerce and the production values which were in my opinion, already perfect cos minor imperfections are part of what make her craft authentic and believable, and the technology behind the early productions supported the art most transparently - creating what I think will always be regarded as a new and very high standard art form - Why, I always come back to listen to Adele's 19 and 21, in the same way that once upon a time, we listened to Thriller by Michael Jackson incessantly for several years, and still enjoy it today.

Like Michael, Rihanna, Stevie, Elton, Adele is unique - whether you like her or her songs, the exceptional artistry cannot be denied.

It is instructive to read a highly insightful review of Adele's Hello track in the erudite British Magazine - Sound on Sound - January 2016 edition.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan1...eview-0116.htm

I chucked when I read my printed version, this morning. For the top music instrument/audio equipment magazine in the UK and probably on the planet, to be tongue in cheek about the excesses of the "Autotune" on her new album, says it all, especially from a most likely UK author. It demonstrates that those who artistically critic the new album, can hear the transition, however commercially successful the album is.

We can all hear the truth. "Hello" does not tug at the heartstrings, the same way the earlier songs do. More polished but not as accomplished. Nevertheless I do not grudge Adele for milking it all for what it's worth and attempting to draw in a wider audience commercially. It's the Music Business, where Business is as important as the Music.

A bit more than my 2 cents.
Old 19th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Neve VR72 channel>insert Neve 1066>
why wouldn't they just plug the mic into the 1066? the only used line into the EQ?
Old 19th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevefreak View Post
why wouldn't they just plug the mic into the 1066? the only used line into the EQ?
Likely they were going for a parallel processing type of vibe. Possibly they had an insert jack staring at them from the patch bay and decided to go that route. No rules when you're going for commercial success. No limit on the hardware budget either.
Old 19th April 2016
Quote:
Because it was at the mix stage.
Old 19th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
It could be it is plugged direct to 1066 but is returning on insert to avoid channel amp

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search