Sound Card for Genelec Monitors
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Head

Thanks a lot!

I will think at this option as well.

Capsunica
Old 14th March 2007
Gear Head

Tell me please, using the MIDI controler, will I be able to adjust the volume, when working in Sound Forge or listening music with Media Player etc. ?

Or, do I have to work in a sequencer like Cubase, Nuendo for the fader to work.

One more thing you said that Fireface doesn't have a volume knob, but in the picture I see it has? Isn't this for the main volume also?

Does anyone know why does it say Monitor 7 and 8 just above the headphone jack? Can't I listen to the main through the headphones?

Thank you!
Capsunica
Attached Thumbnails
Sound Card for Genelec Monitors-rem.jpg   Sound Card for Genelec Monitors-rme_ff400_lg.jpg   Sound Card for Genelec Monitors-rem-rear.jpg  
Old 14th March 2007
Gear Addict

With a MIDI controller you will be able to control the volume anytime in any programm that uses the FF as it's audio device.

The Firefaces 400 knob is only for adjusting the MIC and LINE input level and I guess the headphone output too. It does not function with the FF TotalMix software though.

The "Main" volume is whatever channel you assign as such. Can be any channel. And yes you can listen to it also through the headphones.
Monitor 7/8 means output channel 7 and 8.

Michael
Old 14th March 2007
Gear Head

OK, now I understand what that knob on the Fireface does.

I think that the MIDI solution, is a very good one. Because, there will be ABSOLUTELY NO LOSS of Quality! It would be as I was working the volume up and down with the mouse. And I see that the Fireface has 2 MIDI, and that is great.

Can there be 2 channels asigned on the MIDI controler (L and R), linked somehow, so the volume will be absolutely equal on both using a single knob? Or will I have to use different knobs for Right and left channel.

I thought that only 7 and 8 could be monitored by the headphones. They shouldn't have wrote that "monitor 7 and 8" over the headphone jack. Now I understand, that I can monitor any chanels with the headphones.

Thanks alot, fantastic ideea!

Capsunica
Old 15th March 2007
Gear Head

Hello again!

For recording voice I use a Neumann TLM 103 or Audio Tehnica 4040 mic, with a Behringer 100 Tube Ultragain (it's about 50$) preamp. I know it's not a good mic preamp, but I was wonderig if the preamps on the Fireface 400 are better then it. Shoud I sell the Behringer and use the RME's preamps or shoud I keep it and use the Behringer when recordin voice. The mics are very nice, but I don't use them at their full poteneial with the Behringer.

On a scale from 1-10 where do the Behringer preamp, RME Fireface 400 preamp, MindPrint En Voice MK II, Grace Design model 101, Pacifica, Great River stand.

I am interested, if using the RME Fireface 400 mic preamps will be enough for Neumann or Audio Tehnica, or will I still not use enough of what the microphones can record.

You, that have the Fireface 400, are you satisfied with the preamps?

Thank you!
Capsunica
Old 16th March 2007
Gear Addict

Hi!

About the midi controller, from what I see on the pictures the Fireface 400 has only one MIDI input and output. Since you said you want to use VSTi's I assume you would want to use a MIDI keyboard. If you want to use the keyboard and the midi controller you will have to get another MIDI input. You could get an external USB to MIDI converter for 30 - 40 €.
For example: M-AUDIO - Uno - USB MIDI-Interface 1 Ein-/Ausgang in Adapter-Kabel-Form, Kabellänge 3m

The midi controller will control two channels simultaneously.

I've never heard the Behringer preamp. But for fifty bucks I'm sure the FF pre's sound much better.
I can't tell you much about preamps but the Fireface preamps are fine. They are quite clean and transparent and so far they worked fine for acoustic and electric guitar.

Michael
Old 16th March 2007
Gear Head

Yes, I think this is the right solution for me.

I should get the Fireface 400 and a midi controler.

Do you have any ideea if there is any new RME Fireface comming out soon? If not, then I should go withe the Fireface 400.

Thanks again!
Capsunica
Old 16th March 2007
Gear Addict

The Fireface 400 came out last year, it's quite new.

If you have a chance then try the Fireface first and listen to it and possibly compare it to other interfaces. I don't think you will be disappointed though if you get it anyway. It's quite a step up from M-Audio and Behringer.

Michael
Old 18th March 2007
Gear Head

Unfortunately, I don't have where to listen to it...

Can there be any incompatibility with my firewire port? On mine it sais IEEE 1394a. I know that there are more types of Firewire ports. Can I use on my computer either the Fireface 400 or the Fireface 800? Or I can only use the Fireface 400?

I just got a little scared of RME Fireface 400, after reading:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...face+400+users

Thank you!
Capsunica
Old 18th March 2007
Gear Addict

I just read the entire thread. I must say kudos to Daniel Fuchs for standing up for so long on a public forum. This only proves and once again acknowledges RME's good reputation.
I think it's safe to say that the initial issues with the FF 400 have been sorted out so far.

You can use the Fireface 800 at either the 400 or 800 FW port since it has also an FW 400 connection (actually two). If you just have one FF connected and no other devices like hard discs the 400 port will suffice.

Michael
Old 20th March 2007
Gear Head

Sorry for not answering faster, but I couldn't post.

I guess you are right. By now RME should have finished with all it's problems.

Thank you again!
Capsunica
Old 6th April 2007
Gear Head

Hi again,

Could I use to adjust the volume on the RME Fireface 400 with this?

http://www.audiomidi.com/Shuttle-Xpress-P5740.aspx

I think you only have to plug it in the USB and then it should work. Do you think it's easy to adjuts the volume with this. The only thing I don't like about it ( and the Behringer also) is that it doesn't stop turning. So, you don't know how hi or low you are monitoring unless you open the mixer window. You can't set a exact point for monitoring twice at the same level.
In the presentation of it it says:

"The outer black ring or 'shuttle' is rubberized and spring-loaded."

What means spring-loaded?

And one more thing, the RME FIREFACE 400 has all INPUT AD and OUTPUT DA servo-balanced. What is servo-balanced? Are they balanced or not?

Thank's a lot.

Capsunica
Old 6th April 2007
Lives for gear

Here's another good solution.

Get the TC Konnekt 24 and a Benchmark DAC-1.

You'll get 2 really decent mick pre's which are ok for most of recordings but shine on dist guit (miced) and bass (line). Benchmark is really great with my Genelecs and I've added a Lucid 9624 A/D fro critical tracking. It also features an ADAT lightpipe for 8 further inputs/outputs.

The Konnekt has an onboard mixer for latency free monitoring and a channelstrip plus reverb which can double as VST plug-ins in your DAW.

Oh - it's firewire BTW. And a friendly price tag.

Cheers - Pär
Old 8th April 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for the suggestion!

Any answer for my other questions?

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsunica View Post
Hi again,

Could I use to adjust the volume on the RME Fireface 400 with this?

http://www.audiomidi.com/Shuttle-Xpress-P5740.aspx

I think you only have to plug it in the USB and then it should work. Do you think it's easy to adjuts the volume with this. The only thing I don't like about it ( and the Behringer also) is that it doesn't stop turning. So, you don't know how hi or low you are monitoring unless you open the mixer window. You can't set a exact point for monitoring twice at the same level.
In the presentation of it it says:

"The outer black ring or 'shuttle' is rubberized and spring-loaded."

What means spring-loaded?

And one more thing, the RME FIREFACE 400 has all INPUT AD and OUTPUT DA servo-balanced. What is servo-balanced? Are they balanced or not?

Thank's a lot.

Capsunica
What is HI-Z? What does it mean?

Capsunica
Old 8th April 2007
Deleted c40a31f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsunica View Post
What is HI-Z? What does it mean?
Z indicates impedance. Here's some definitions you can read :

http://www.answers.com/topic/impedance

http://searchsmb.techtarget.com/sDef...212333,00.html

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search