The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buzz Audio MA2.2 vs. 2x Millenia HV-35 Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 27th March 2016
Buzz Audio MA2.2 vs. 2x Millenia HV-35

Considering both of these for a clean stereo pair. A used MA2.2 is pretty much the high end of my budget. I would also be purchasing a lunchbox for the HV-35 because I haven't fallen into the black hole of 500 series gear yet

I have a pair of SCA C84s on loan from a friend, so that is my reference point for clean at the moment. I will have these for another 6-8 months.

I like the DI and low cut on the Millennia. It would also be nice to have the beginning of a more portable setup for location recording and sessions at other studios. So I'm leaning more towards a 500 series choice (Millennia or not).

Any thoughts on these two mic pres or other recommendations of similar sound and price point are welcome, thanks for reading.
Old 27th March 2016
If you're after the musical clean/fast sound the MA2.2 is a top contender here. It's one of those pres that just work on ANYTHING, snares, vocals, high gain guitar cabs, ect... It's a pity we only have one.
Old 27th March 2016
Lives for gear

I would personally go for the Buzz unit over any 500 series, though the CAPI 500 stuff looks cool if you can build..

The MA2.2 is killer - i've owned a pair since they were released many years
ago - as above it works on anything and the build and quality is reliable..

There are a couple on ebay or the classifieds used if you want to save some bucks..
Old 27th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_jumper View Post
If you're after the musical clean/fast sound the MA2.2 is a top contender here. It's one of those pres that just work on ANYTHING, snares, vocals, high gain guitar cabs, ect... It's a pity we only have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P View Post
I would personally go for the Buzz unit over any 500 series, though the CAPI 500 stuff looks cool if you can build..

The MA2.2 is killer - i've owned a pair since they were released many years
ago - as above it works on anything and the build and quality is reliable..

There are a couple on ebay or the classifieds used if you want to save some bucks..
thanks for the replies. how would you compare/contrast the HV-35 and MA2.2? And compared to the SCA (if you know)? The designs are similar (from what I can tell) and I would like to know more about them.

What about the MA2.2 with the upgraded transformers?

The HV-35 is the same pres as the HV-3C unit right?
Old 27th March 2016
I have never used the hv35, and our ma2.2 has the lundahl output txs. I dont own the c84 although i do intend on filling the rest of my sca rack with them, for background stuff and talkback.
Old 27th March 2016
Lives for gear

If clean is your goal I'd definitely test the Forssell smp-500.. very musical and not sterile while being clean. (Or the smp-2 in the 19" rack world).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 29th March 2016
Lives for gear

Buzz Audio MA2.2 over any Lunchbox pre - period :D
Old 29th March 2016
Gear Guru

Another vote for the Buzz. Only downside is no DI's.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search