The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chameleon Labs 7602 for vocals Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 25th March 2016
Chameleon Labs 7602 for vocals

Hey I'm posting in the high end area because I want to know what you highend users think. I'm taking this unit to a friends studio to track some vocals and want to know what you think of the preamp section. Would you consider the audio quality "high end"? Is "high end" only determined by the price tag? I was planning on using a SM7B for his yelling vocal parts and using a 414xls for the singing parts. His rooms are treated with bass traps in the corners and some foam on the walls.

What do you think of this pre/eq for vocals?
What is your favorite application for this unit?

Thanks for your input. Cheers.
Old 25th March 2016
I have six original 7602 units in one of our audio trucks. We use them all the time for drums, guitars and Hammond B-3. The stepped gain control makes using them on live vocals a bit of a challenge, so we rarely use them for that application.
I'm not sure if the 7602s are "high end", but they will certainly work great for your session. The SM7B is a low output mic, but the 7602 has plenty of clean gain. The AKG 414XLS has a much hotter output. You might need to engage one of the mic's pads. Even at the lowest gain setting, the 7602 (like the Neve 1073 and other clones) might overload with a hot output mic. Make sure that you start with the 7602's output gain knob at max. Then set the gain knob for best level.
Old 26th March 2016
Lives for gear

I had a modded 7602 for years. It was a solid preamp. High end? In the sense that it never got in the way of a good recording, sure. I found other Neve clones to saturate a little more evenly across the spectrum, and when I use that type of preamp, I'm generally wanting to drive it a little bit. Vocals and guitars were the things I used it on the most. I remember the 16K high shelf was nice when a little air was needed.

I haven't used a stock one, so I can't say for sure how it compares. Probably close enough to get some good tracks.
Old 26th March 2016
Gear Nut

I'm selling one with the zenPro mods in the classifieds here if anyone is interested.

I got really good female R&B vocals using just an SM7b into the 7602 with ZenPro mods. The client kept coming back to me, even after using mics like U87's at other studios. It was simply the best combination for her voice.
Old 26th March 2016
Lives for gear

i've zero problems using one alongside units costing ten times more, actually the build quality (CHINESE) is better than a lot of 'high-end' boutique gear.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search