The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Sontec 432 - The Holy Grail EQ - Price
Old 1st April 2016
  #31
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Maybe a tech can explain why those opamps fail so often. I had a few offered to me to fix but I passed.
Jim, that's a very good question. I do know however that many times the opamps have gone out, (and this is according to Burgess himself) was due to 48v Phantom power either in the signal chain or finding its way into the circuit. Perhaps you could illuminate why this would be an issue for the unit.
Old 2nd April 2016
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Maybe a tech can explain why those opamps fail so often.
Not sure, but probably why Sontecs shipped with 1 extra op-amp taped inside.

There's no doubt they have their place in history.
..but there's a lot of other contenders these days,
and many without the drama you'd have to endure with maintenance issue's
and quite a few that offer much more in versatility and build quality for a price that stays in this galaxy.
Still, ..some people fall in love with the legacy of stuff.
Old 2nd April 2016
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Silvertone's Avatar
Having taken the Buzz down to Masterdisc and shooting it out against the Sontec. I ended up buying the Buzz.

Btw, two Sontecs were in the repair shop at Masterdisc when I was down there. I could not believe how bad the build quality was, both were flexing in the middle because the was nothing reinforcing the faceplate. I never saw any face panels bent that much in my life.

There is nothing wrong with the low end of the buzz, some prefer the tighter low end of the Sontec so Tim made a mod, that's all.

I've know Burgess for years, love the man, couldn't buy a unit because I couldn't afford the downtime. Wish I could.

I owned a GML9500 for years and two Pultec EQP1A3's... All are gone except the Buzz Audio REQ2.2 with stock low end filters.

Don't listen to anyone, use your own ears. No one else hears like you. Don't go along with the masses just to fit in. Be bold. Be yourself. Discover your own sound.

Here is A reality check, give a song to 20 different mastering engineers, all using the same gear and I guarantee you'll get 20 different sounding masters back. Gear counts for about 20%. Knowledge is the other 80%.

To the end listener, only the song matters and how it impacts them on an emotional level. Gear is irrelevant compared to the song itself... But hey this is Gearslutz so gear matters hear.

Enjoy the hunt, that is half the fun.

Larry DeVivo
silvertonemastering.com
Old 3rd April 2016
  #34
Gear Addict
 
nOiz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Don't listen to anyone, use your own ears. No one else hears like you. Don't go along with the masses just to fit in. Be bold. Be yourself. Discover your own sound.

Here is A reality check, give a song to 20 different mastering engineers, all using the same gear and I guarantee you'll get 20 different sounding masters back. Gear counts for about 20%. Knowledge is the other 80%.

To the end listener, only the song matters and how it impacts them on an emotional level. Gear is irrelevant compared to the song itself... But hey this is Gearslutz so gear matters hear.

Enjoy the hunt, that is half the fun.

Larry DeVivo
silvertonemastering.com
Agreed totally.
Old 14th January 2017
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post

I've know Burgess for years, love the man, couldn't buy a unit because I couldn't afford the downtime. Wish I could.

silvertonemastering.com
Realizing there is no downtime if you have a spare 250EX that you can pull op amp boards out of as the 250EX uses the same op amps, if an op amp goes out.
Old 15th March 2017
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Gravity8058's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beats workin' View Post
How does the older (original) MEP-230 compare to the 250? Anyone work with both units?
I owned both - the 230 is sweet sounding- warm, organic- euphoric- halo- etc- some of the characteristics My 432c9 had-

The 250C was similar but a little less warm and a little hard sounding in the upper mids

The 250 XL was warm again but overall a little boring sounding- no halo- not much magic-
Old 15th March 2017
  #37
Gear Nut
 
Adkins's Avatar
A festish involving the love between a man and a gear.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump