The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic or Pre Upgrade for Guitars?
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Mic or Pre Upgrade for Guitars?

Listen I know this has been talked about, I recall reading a dozen "Mic or Pre?" posts so please forgive the redundancy, but I did do a search am not coming up with much.

I'm currently using the UA SOLO 110 (sold state) pre and a AT 4050. When I got the 110 it made my acoustic guitar sound like I had put new strings on it. This is one clear, fast pre, and it is good for a lot of things.

The big "BUT" is....I'm also recording a lot of loud guitars for rock and pop stuff, and the AT and UA combination is just coming out way too bright. It's not obnoxious, like using a Mackie or something, but it's got no real body or "heft" to the tone. So I'm wondering whether moving on to something like an API or a Germanium would be wise, or adding another, fatter sounding mic might be the key.

Also, I do have an SM57 but it sounds like a transitor radio compared to the AT when on the amp. It is either broken, or I just don't have a pre the 57 likes. I have given it to my 4 year old to play with at this point.

I also noticed my combination was way too thin sounding when 3 background vocalists came in to record an R&B type thing the other day...

Thanks for any advice. I am really looking for the best tools to record guitar.

Tom
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Addict

As far as mics go here are a few to help you out.

If your sound is coming off as bright you might want to try the sennheiser MD421, Sennheiser MD441, Electro-Voice RE-20 for guitars. The MD421 is a great choice. It is excellent for guitars, kick drum, percussion (congas,), Voice OVer/Boradcast, etc. It would be a great addition to expand your pallete of sonic colors. The RE-20 can also be used for the same instruments.

As far as pres you can try the API or the Chandler you mentioned. It's your choice.
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

I also just read an interview with Jerry Finn where he mentions using two mics, a condenser and a ribbon, on each amp. Maybe getting a ribbon like the 121 to add to the AT might be an option too...

Tom
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

If you can, check out the Chandler Germanium!
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
I also just read an interview with Jerry Finn where he mentions using two mics, a condenser and a ribbon, on each amp. Maybe getting a ribbon like the 121 to add to the AT might be an option too...

Tom
Yeah the royer is awesome. Beyerdynamic also has an excellent ribbon mic but i hear there is something special about the royer R121. I guess it just depends on the sound you want.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

As far as condensers. I've had success with the U47FETi on guitar amps. I heard paul jackson jr uses a U47FETi, a Royer R121, and or a SM57. The U-67 also sounds great on guitar amps.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Still saving for the Royer.

Typical setting for us on guitar cabs these days involves two mics (dynamic and condenser)—usually a 57 & Gefell UMT70S—blended to taste. Usually both mics relatively close to the grill, positioned in whatever fashion avoids phase issues. Sometimes we put the Gefell in Figure 8 or Omni and grab some room.

Pres are usually a Great River or API 512c.

Hope that helps.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Token Brit

Dang, you US recording types with all your complicated guitar techniques. What's wrong with having a bit of raucous SM57 guitar tone and nothing else?! heh
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

i have germaniums and the tg2 pre..both will give you body and heft but i prefer the tg2 for guitars. then if you want to take body and heft to a whole new level you grab a couple tone control's..then life is good

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search