Mytek Brooklyn DAC
Old 14th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Any ETA on the Brooklyn ADC?
Also heard it for a minute here, compared to the Forssell. A little more tactile detail than the Forssell, maybe not as wide feeling. Very nice first impression.
Old 14th July 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
Also heard it for a minute here, compared to the Forssell. A little more tactile detail than the Forssell, maybe not as wide feeling. Very nice first impression.
Thanks
I wasn't crazy about the Forssell.nice unit but kinda sterile to my ears.
Stayed w the Burl Bomber.
Old 24th August 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm in the market for a stereo ADC for my rig. Now I am using the antelope 32+ feeding SSL 4056 G . I love the quality of the Orion conversion but don't trust them to be detailed coming from the console back in to pt. I first thought of getting the pure 2 or Burl adc but felt that the output of the SSL is already very colored so it might not be the adc for me. Then I read about the mytek Brooklyn with its variable transformer input. This seems like it might be the best of both worlds (colored and transparent). Any one heard these options who is using otb mixing techniques? Thanks.
Old 24th August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubs ➡️
I'm in the market for a stereo ADC for my rig. Now I am using the antelope 32+ feeding SSL 4056 G . I love the quality of the Orion conversion but don't trust them to be detailed coming from the console back in to pt. I first thought of getting the pure 2 or Burl adc but felt that the output of the SSL is already very colored so it might not be the adc for me. Then I read about the mytek Brooklyn with its variable transformer input. This seems like it might be the best of both worlds (colored and transparent). Any one heard these options who is using otb mixing techniques? Thanks.
Had the pure next to the burl
At first dug it . Sounded clean .but after a week ... there's something I preferred about the burl.the weight and punch.
Old 24th August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Had the pure next to the burl
At first dug it . Sounded clean .but after a week ... there's something I preferred about the burl.the weight and punch.
Hey RoundBadge,

Did you end up selling the Pure2?

I think you mentioned that you preferred it to the Hilo you demo'd, is that correct?
Old 25th August 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Do you think the burl would be a little too colored for capturing the output of a console ? Are you using it that way. If I were using a summing system or ITB I think the Burl would be the ticket but I worry that too much warmth can be not so good thing. The specs on the Mytec Brooklyn and new chips seem alluring as well as the electronically or traffo balanced inputs. This way I could try one of the three different nickel windings prior to printing my mix to find the right amount of color (or none) for my signal chain. Has any one out there heard one or even better heard one next to the burl ?
Old 25th August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk ➡️
Hey RoundBadge,

Did you end up selling the Pure2?

I think you mentioned that you preferred it to the Hilo you demo'd, is that correct?
Yeah sent it back
Didn't dig the Hilo at all.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubs ➡️
Do you think the burl would be a little too colored for capturing the output of a console ? Are you using it that way. If I were using a summing system or ITB I think the Burl would be the ticket but I worry that too much warmth can be not so good thing. The specs on the Mytec Brooklyn and new chips seem alluring as well as the electronically or traffo balanced inputs. This way I could try one of the three different nickel windings prior to printing my mix to find the right amount of color (or none) for my signal chain. Has any one out there heard one or even better heard one next to the burl ?
Printing off an API console (Mothership)
I stage lightly into the b2
Makeup gain on the output knob
Stays clean
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah sent it back
Didn't dig the Hilo at all.
Did you get a chance to demo the Mytek Brooklyn ADC at all yet (assuming no), or Benchmark ADC1?

I was looking at the Pure 2, but the Brooklyn ADC has me very interested as well.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Did you get a chance to demo the Mytek Brooklyn ADC at all yet (assuming no), or Benchmark ADC1?

I was looking at the Pure 2, but the Brooklyn ADC has me very interested as well.
No the Brooklyn ADC isn't avail yet ?
The pure2 was wide and kinda shiny sounding but a bit less weighty compared to the Burl.
I could see pop r&b dudes digging the Pure.
The Burl is more rock n roll to my ears.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No the Brooklyn ADC isn't avail yet ?
The pure2 was wide and kinda shiny sounding but a bit less weighty compared to the Burl.
I could see pop r&b dudes digging the Pure.
The Burl is more rock n roll to my ears.
Yeah, I don't think it is out yet, I just figured you've tried everything

Mytek Brooklyn has me very interested...

Thanks for the info.
Old 26th August 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ok. Gulp.... VK is sending the burl adc. The Mytek isn't shipping until November . I'm sure I'll love it. Thanks for the opinion . I would guess I could take out the -10db attenuators from the console out and drive the b2 with the gain make up on the buss comp. What do you have your dbfs calibrated to RB or does it vary from gig to gig? Thanks.
Old 26th August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks
I wasn't crazy about the Forssell.nice unit but kinda sterile to my ears.
Stayed w the Burl Bomber.
Burl adds substantial amount of colour to the source which was not originally there (which may be welcome in some cases). In my understanding, the principal function of AD converter is to convert the properties of the analogue source to the digital domain as faithfully as possible, not to alter it. The more identical the result is, the better the AD converter. For adding colour, we have tons of other dedicated devices.

BTW - I have Mytek 192 DAC here and Brooklyn arriving in few days. I am curious about the direct comparison.

Some time ago we evaluated 192 DAC and compared to Forssell DA. I must say Mytek was very very good, quite close to Forssell, except slightly less 3D and a bit extra touch of HF. I am curious how much further Brooklyn proceeded.

Antelope sounds quite sterile to my ears.
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I keep testing and comparing these three top DAC converters (Mytek Brooklyn, 192 DAC and my reference Forssell MADA-2). Very interesting indeed. I must settle down all my impressions and will let you know ...

Old 2nd September 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
I am planning on demoing a Dangerous Convert as well and comparing the 2. I'm on the hunt! The Convert may win out for pitching to the analog chain, but I'd be very surprised if it beat the Mytek for monitoring.
So, do you prefer the Dangerous here (it's listed on your gear list but not the Brooklyn)?
Old 2nd September 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek ➡️
I keep testing and comparing these three top DAC converters (Mytek Brooklyn, 192 DAC and my reference Forssell MADA-2). Very interesting indeed. I must settle down all my impressions and will let you know ...

Thanks, looking forward to your impressions.

If it's no problem or hassle, could you possibly share what you think about the Brooklyn's headphone amp?

Thanks again...
Old 2nd September 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Well, this was the thing that quite stroke me after trying it. I use Lehman Audio headphone amp and Sennheiser HD-800 headphones. When connecting to Mytek headphone input, the sound was so much better, back to Lehman - a bit muddy, lacking subtle details ... hmm ...
Old 4th September 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have been comparing Brooklyn with Forssell MADA-2 a lot these days … Brooklyn is really very good .. maybe slightly bit on a bright/“polaroid” side but very good and clear … today I reached a final conclusion: when listening the last time to my favourite reference track again and again and switching between converters, I said: hmm, this Brooklyn is really slightly more clear and deep, I shall use it from now on .. and then I noticed I am actually listening to MADA-2 )) So, this is it

MADA-2 has indeed a bit more “organic” sound and slightly more depth. Brooklyn is a bit more “thin” as if. But - it has 100+1 features that will be welcome by all the audio(phile) users: all possible types of inputs (incl. USB), DSD, 2 headphone inputs, variable output combinations incl. different volume for headphones and speakers etc. etc. I like it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I have been comparing Brooklyn with Forssell MADA-2 a lot these days … Brooklyn is really very good .. maybe slightly bit on a bright/“polaroid” side but very good and clear … today I reached a final conclusion: when listening the last time to my favourite reference track again and again and switching between converters, I said: hmm, this Brooklyn is really slightly more clear and deep, I shall use it from now on .. and then I noticed I am actually listening to MADA-2 )) So, this is it

MADA-2 has indeed a bit more “organic” sound and slightly more depth. Brooklyn is a bit more “thin” as if. But - it has 100+1 features that will be welcome by all the audio(phile) users: all possible types of inputs (incl. USB), DSD, 2 headphone inputs, variable output combinations incl. different volume for headphones and speakers etc. etc. I like it.

Have you tried it with an external power supply? Apparently it can sound a good bit better with an external linear power supply than the switching one which is onboard.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I believe that every unit is already fully optimised for the very best performance by the manufacturer. So I don't do such experiments Forssell MADA-2 does not have an external power supply either.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I believe that every unit is already fully optimised for the very best performance by the manufacturer. So I don't do such experiments Forssell MADA-2 does not have an external power supply either.
The Brooklyn has a 12 volt DC input for the express purpose of using an external power supply. And, one of the main differences between the Brooklyn and Manhattan DACs is switching (lower cost, less space) vs linear power supply. I plan on trying this when I get my Brooklyn ADC.
Old 5th September 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Hi Ivo,

Interesting, I have done this comparison too. I suppose the Forsell DAC was a well broken in unit while Brooklyn might have been brand new. There is a huge improvement after about a week of use and break in. Brooklyn will sound much smoother then. Also: if they were fed via AES, that's also a variable because of jitter unless you made both DACs a clock master. Testing with USB2 would put the DAC on internal Femtoclock with 0.82ps jitter which basically results in more detail extracted. BTW, the USB interface is full 32 bit integer so if you work with 64 bit float double precision processing, there is an advantage of using these 32 bit over 24 bit you get via AES.

Michal at Mytek (the designer of Brooklyn DAC)
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I would not think this is necessarily always true. As designers we are trying to do the best for a particular budget, but keeping in mind EVERYTHING can be done better with more expensive parts and materials. It's a curve of diminishing returns, but should I have a budget of $20K for Brooklyn I promise you it'd sound better starting with a giant power supply that does not fit now in the 1/2 rack space box.

Best Regards, Michal
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC ➡️
The Brooklyn has a 12 volt DC input for the express purpose of using an external power supply. And, one of the main differences between the Brooklyn and Manhattan DACs is switching (lower cost, less space) vs linear power supply. I plan on trying this when I get my Brooklyn ADC.
We tested this. Yes, if power supply is substantially larger than the built in 30W, then yes you can hear it. Small but improvement. We tried this one:

SBooster-BOTW PP ECO 12V - 13V LPS For Qute-Line Conditioners|Acoustic Sounds

and also car battery which is ideal with its low impedance large reservoir of instant energy.

Regards, Michal
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytek ➡️
Hi Ivo,

Interesting, I have done this comparison too. I suppose the Forsell DAC was a well broken in unit while Brooklyn might have been brand new. There is a huge improvement after about a week of use and break in. Brooklyn will sound much smoother then. Also: if they were fed via AES, that's also a variable because of jitter unless you made both DACs a clock master. Testing with USB2 would put the DAC on internal Femtoclock with 0.82ps jitter which basically results in more detail extracted. BTW, the USB interface is full 32 bit integer so if you work with 64 bit float double precision processing, there is an advantage of using these 32 bit over 24 bit you get via AES.

Michal at Mytek (the designer of Brooklyn DAC)
Hi Michal,

I'm very interested in the Brooklyn ADC. What is the current shipping ETA? When will it be available? Are we looking at November/December now? Is that pretty firm?
Old 5th September 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Here are some files I printed of the burl b2 adc vs the Orion 32+ adc for anyone interested in how these two solutions fare while we wait for the Brooklyn adc to ship. I will add the Brooklyn to the files when I can get my hands on one. The Burl is so cool I might just keep it and get the Brooklyn for more critical conversion duties.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7cg27yl5x...z4WUkIhIa?dl=0
Old 5th September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah, that burl version have that kind of api/neve console type magic....cool if used right
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi Michal,

I'm very interested in the Brooklyn ADC. What is the current shipping ETA? When will it be available? Are we looking at November/December now? Is that pretty firm?
Yes, November is what we are preparing for. The hardware is finished and we actually had few beta trial units out there. We are finishing up the firmware and once that done the ADC will be available.

Comparison files are a great tool to get initial impression about the type of sound. We are preparing some.

Regards, Michal
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Burl adds substantial amount of colour to the source which was not originally there (which may be welcome in some cases). In my understanding, the principal function of AD converter is to convert the properties of the analogue source to the digital domain as faithfully as possible, not to alter it. The more identical the result is, the better the AD converter. For adding colour, we have tons of other dedicated devices.

()
Mytek philosophy was always to build converters as transparent as possible. The basic methodology of assessing if we achieved the goal is listening to this chain:

original high resolution reference wav inside a DAW> Brooklyn ADC > Brooklyn ADC> copy into another pair of tracks of the same DAW.

and then tweaking this so the analog copy is as close to original as possible. We pay attention to everything, bass, mids, highs, distortion, 3D, ambience etc and try to tweak circuits to get as many of them as possible right.

We always did this, this is Mytek signature sound (no sound).

Sometimes we use analog tape as source , sometimes even live feed.

Euphonic converters are usable but only in particular situations. While it's easy to sweeten up a single track during recording with an euphonic converter, the same unit may not work well on a complex mix because euphonic character means more distortion that can be nice sometime but on a complex mix they just mess it up.

Most engineers who use Mytek, use outboard gear to get color and the converter just for capture or feed.

Also it doesn't hurt to have couple of different converters available for different occasions.

Best Regards, Michal
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytek ➡️
Euphonic converters are usable but only in particular situations. While it's easy to sweeten up a single track during recording with an euphonic converter, the same unit may not work well on a complex mix because euphonic character means more distortion that can be nice sometime but on a complex mix they just mess it up.

Most engineers who use Mytek, use outboard gear to get color and the converter just for capture or feed.

Also it doesn't hurt to have couple of different converters available for different occasions.

Best Regards, Michal
This how I feel about my current Burl setup. It's great for tracking, but I'd rather have a more transparent ADC for mixdown. At least, for dense mixes.
📝 Reply