The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best replacement mics for Neumann KU 100 Dummy binaural
Old 22nd March 2016
Gear Head

Best replacement mics for Neumann KU 100 Dummy binaural

I have a factory assembled KU 100 that I rarely use but still find excellent for binaural recordings and adding room information.
I have a second "empty" KU 100, just the head without the mics etc. I got that one years ago because I wanted to try other mics and avoid the "pre-designed" sound of the KU 100.
I have never completed the head, and now I feel there's the time for it. First I called the factory because assembling it to the original standard is one option now.
They said completing it there will be about 6000 USD which is a lot money given the fact that the empty head alone is bout 3000 USD. If you buy a new complete head you will pay less than 9000.
Now I'm thinking about my original plan: DPA SC 4060 might be an interesting omni capsule for that head. Can you suggest other capsules? Of course the "flat diffuse-field frequency response" as Neumann put it will be history, but I'm just curious to know a different capsule choice will work out in the end. I will use wool to fill the empty cavities of the head.
Thanks for your advice and comments.
Old 24th March 2016
Gear Guru

You could look at the Gefell SMS2000 series - M270 omnidirectional - there is a knuckle joint available for this microphone.

You could look at the Gefell MK221 (as used on the M221 and Josephson C617 set).

There are also DPA and Schoeps small omni heads that could be worth a look - or the MBHO omni heads.

Etc...
Old 24th March 2016
Lives for gear

im sure youre aware the KU100 shares your name
Old 26th March 2016
Gear Head

My username goes back to my grandfather who was called Fritz, but of course I was aware of the fact that the KU100's nickname is Fritz as well. This is a nice coincidence.
Old 26th March 2016
nkf
Lives for gear

As far as I remember correctly the mics in the KU-100 are based on the KM183A or KM183 but I assume the capsule is a bit modified.
The DPA 4060s are fitting nicely in the old Sennheiser dummy head and could work somehow in the KU-100 head.
Old 27th March 2016
Gear Addict

I thought he was calling him a dummy.
Old 7th April 2016
Gear Head

At the moment, I'm waiting for an offer which includes all the original Neumann hardware inside the KU 100. If that's too expensive for my budget, I will most likely go for Bruel&Kjaer (DPA) or Schoeps. The advantage of the Neumann hardware is that it's really versatile: you can get 40v phantom from a power supply, with batteries or directly from the preamp.
Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear

The mics inside the KU100 are omni mics from the KM100 series.

Today you can buy a Neumann KU 100 brand new for little more than $6000.
Old 7th April 2016
Gear Head

The best price you can get in Germany is 7444 EUR which equals 8400 USD. The head itself with the ears is 3000 EUR, and I guess the hardware inside will be an additional 5000 EUR. Where did you see the head for 6000 USD? I might get that one instead of buying the electronics for mine...
Old 8th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzsound View Post
The best price you can get in Germany is 7444 EUR which equals 8400 USD. The head itself with the ears is 3000 EUR, and I guess the hardware inside will be an additional 5000 EUR. Where did you see the head for 6000 USD? I might get that one instead of buying the electronics for mine...
3 heads are better than one..

OT....has anyone compared Fritz to the Schoeps sphere KFM6 ?
Old 8th April 2016
Here for the gear

I once was told the ku100 had km83 capsules. I could be totally wrong so don't take my word for anything.
Old 11th April 2016
Gear Head

Well, the offer about the whole electronic package for the KU100 has just come in, and it will cost me 5200 EUR (6300 USD). I can't pay that, so I will either find a cheaper way with DPA or sell the head itself.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search