The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AD/DA in monitors
Old 21st March 2016
Lives for gear

AD/DA in monitors

What's your thoughts on using monitors with digital crossovers?
It's a question to those of you with ultra high end DA converters.
You choose and buy the absolute best you can find in DA, only to have another AD/DA process when the signal reaches your speaker.
Personally, the only monitors I tried with digital crossovers were the MM27 many years ago in my studio, and they were such a leap from any other near field out there at the time that improvement in detail was all I could hear anyway, so an extra ADDA made no difference to me (using Avocet DA at the time).

But what about those that are using Latte, Burl, new Mytek, Prism, etc?
Does it bother you at all that your pristine DA sound (with sometimes a whole lot of extra money spent on clocking as well) is going through another conversion process through tiny little boards mounted inside speakers?

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Old 21st March 2016
Well, you have to do crossing somehow and all of the methods have their pros and cons. For the price, I'd pick digital crossing over analog whenever feasible. For a TOTL solution I'd say that something like SHARC based DSP with multiple DACs and amps should be nearly untouchable. Especially if you factor in the ability to fully control not only frequency, but time domain effects and compensate for room induced aberrations.
Old 22nd March 2016
Lives for gear

Will ADDA without dedicated power supply, sitting inside vibrating speaker enclosures perform as well as their rack mounted counterparts?

And time alignment etc is great for speaker designs based around the idea of using DSP but speakers can be deigned brilliantly without the need for that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search