The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lexicon Pcm92 Battery Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 20th March 2016
Gear Head

Lexicon Pcm92 Battery

Hi I'm new here on GS, i just wonder if anyone can help my with a question about the Lexicon pcm92...

As far as i know it got a backup battery, can anyone tell me somethings about it!

1. What kind of a battery is it?
2. can i replace it myself?
3. How long does it last
4. will it be possible to change it in... lets say 15 years from today? or will i get a
comment like: sorry dude we don't make them anymore, your unit is **** worth now :(

I mailed Lexicon two times now but still no answer. :(

Many thanx for your replay
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

Open it up look for what looks like a watch battery, Digital designers usually don't get too more exotic then a CR3032 battery found in desktop computers and can be had even in a grocery store in pairs. Looks like a US nickle.

That said, when manufactures have a chip on their shoulder they may do somthing in this erea to cause you to have to send the unit in for more money than you should spend. And afaik, Harmon is indeed one.
Old 20th March 2016
There's no mention of the memory battery in the PCM92 manual or the website. Older Lexicon units used a solder-in battery, which require a decent desoldering tool.
Old 20th March 2016
Gear Head

Yeah its probibly like you say guys, i found a pic of the pcm 92 and i can see a sort of battery in the left front corner, but that doesnt seam like a standard 3032 to me, looks solderd, do you know if this can be a problem in the future when lets say lexicon dissapares one day? or are these batteries standard electronic devices?

what im trying to say is that i cant imagine creating music whitout them in the future!

Thanx
Old 21st March 2016
Relax, you'll be fine.

Any good tech should be able to replace a soldered battery with a number of alternatives. I've replaced the battery in a PCM70 with a battery with axial leads.

Original battery on left, new axial lead battery on right:
Attached Thumbnails
Lexicon Pcm92 Battery-pcm-70-battery.jpg   Lexicon Pcm92 Battery-axial-battery.jpg  
Old 21st March 2016
Gear Addict

Changed the backup batteries in my 480L a few weeks ago. In this case it was flat mounting solder version of the CR3032.

Spent time getting the right footprint at Farnell, and the whole operation just took a few minutes.

Used a static wristband, just to be as safe as possible :-)
Old 21st March 2016
Gear Head

Thanx guys, feels better allready
Old 21st March 2016
Lives for gear

If its a soldered battery, replace it with a coin cell holder. Then next time you can just pop in a normal coin cell which are available everywhere
Old 23rd March 2016
Lives for gear

So yes you and your PCM 92 battery will survive, though if you are going to keep it, stock up on parts, those batteries can last 10- 25 years or more, so it's all timing etc. by then the PCM 92 and Lexicon I doubt will exist nor I...lol..?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search