The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ATC SCM20 PSL PRO MK 1 any good? Microphone Accessories
Old 19th March 2016
Here for the gear

ATC SCM20 PSL PRO MK 1 any good?

Hi,

I have been offered a used pair of ATC SCM20 PSL Pro from 1999, but have only been able to find specifications and reviews of the newer MKII models..

Does anybody know these speakers and are they worth investing in, or would it be more wise to save up the money and buy a new pair of the MKII?
Would also need a AMP, somebudy know how much power is required to get the best out of the speakers?

Thx in advance!
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

Very good speakers, consider the new ones an evolution forward. Most would be more than happy with the originals.
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

The 20ASL mk1 were good. The passive were (A) nothing like the Actives and (B) not good. I tried them with 3 different sets of amps and they were about as ho-hum as could be. I found them one of the true failures from a company that really has made very few mistakes.

Once again (can't emphasize this enough) they are not like the Active 20 mark 1. The passive were a standard MDF construction unlike the metal Actives and, obviously, did not have active crossovers.
Old 22nd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
The 20ASL mk1 were good. The passive were (A) nothing like the Actives and (B) not good. I tried them with 3 different sets of amps and they were about as ho-hum as could be. I found them one of the true failures from a company that really has made very few mistakes.

Once again (can't emphasize this enough) they are not like the Active 20 mark 1. The passive were a standard MDF construction unlike the metal Actives and, obviously, did not have active crossovers.
Have to disagree. The Mk1 had the identical woofer as the Mk 2's, but a SEAS tweeter instead of the new ATC tweeter in the Mk2. Mk1 active vs passive side by side (which I've done) is not very different if the actives are set flat. I think passive SCM20Mk1's were a great speaker. We sold a number of them.

Brad
Old 23rd March 2016
Gear Addict

I have the old SCM20 and could not be happier. all my mixes translate very well.
The only drawback is that a lot of music sounds bad on these speakers but its not the speakers fault
If you can get them for a good price then give it a try.
Old 24th March 2016
Lives for gear

I had Mk1 SCM20 passives, upgraded to the Mk2 actives the moment they came out.

Mk1 passives are absolutely superb, especially with the Seas tweeters (the Vifa tweeters are all a little rough and veiled sounding IMO).

Mk2s are a notable step forwards from a speaker which was already spectacularly good IMO.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search