The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
recommend a ribbon to trk elec gtrs.
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Nut

recommend a ribbon to trk elec gtrs.

i have a cheap t bone which is good, a rb500 (i think), then i bought the royer 122
was let down by that, it sounded harsh in comparison, so i'm looking for another flavor something with that natural smooth meaty sound if you know what i mean!
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Royer 122 sounds harsh? Describe the rest of the chain because that just doesn't make any sense.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

I've never found, or heard of a Royer described as harsh sounding. I suspect that either the one you used was damaged, or as Chris mentioned, perhaps a problem elsewhere in your signal chain.
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Maniac

well, maybe the thing making noise sounds harsh
if the tbone works, why not use it?
Old 4th February 2007
I was going to recommend a Royer, then read your statement. As already recommended, you should check the rest of your chain because it takes effort to make the Royer sound harsh.
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Ribbon in the Royer could be screwed or something.

If you check out the CAD mics site, you'll find them boasting cos some guy in Guns 'n' Roses or something uses the Trion ribbon mic.

AEA R84 is supposed to be great and I believe Pete Towsnhend said something about its having more punch than he had expected from a ribbon or something. He was definitely impressed, anyhow. Can't remember whether it was acoustic or electric he used it on. I think it's probably on The Who's new album somewhere.
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

i've heard other people complain about the 122. i've also heard either you like it or you don't.
i would try the royer 121 if i were you. mine sounds beautiful!
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Nut

the chain used

hi all,
the chain was, royer122/liquid channel/rosetta800/nuendo

the main problem was that the t-bone really left the 122 in the dust, the top emd on the 122 was very brittle sounding almost like a condenser, not pleasent tonally,
it could be the liquid channel, i know its a bit s###, but it works alright on most other mics we have, phantom/147/451 etc,
any has anyone tried the beyer m160 on elec gtr?
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

The Beyer m160 works really well on guitars, but I don't know if I would ever put that up over the 122.
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I have used my two Royer 121's through my pair of Liquid Channels and have found the sound to be nothing but sublime. Did you try moving the mics? Or adjusting any of the other many variables? The Royer's work. And I have read the positive reviews on the T-Bone's that you found to be successful. So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it....
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Nut

just want some different flavours!

yeh tried moving the mics, did an a:b test with the t-bone, and found the 122 to sound not as smooth, but what are other ribbons like, the aea/beyer/coles/sontronics/crowley and tipp, i really like the t bone, but am sure there are more out there i should hear!
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylum View Post
yeh tried moving the mics, did an a:b test with the t-bone, and found the 122 to sound not as smooth, but what are other ribbons like, the aea/beyer/coles/sontronics/crowley and tipp, i really like the t bone, but am sure there are more out there i should hear!
Well, if you don't have a Gearslutz outlet store in your neighborhood, I recommend starting at the Coles and working your way down...
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

I think all the C&T mics are very sensitive, on a par with dynamics. I certainly read that the Naked Eye was. I'm guessing the same probably goes for the AEA stuff. Others like the old Coles and Beyers aren't going to have that advantage, I don't think. That could be an important factor if your pre is less than supremely powerful and quiet, you know.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search