The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RED or BLUE capsules on CMV 563
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

RED or BLUE capsules on CMV 563

Hi all!

Did anybody test the BLUE or RED (or is it YELLOW now?) capsules on a Neumann CMV 563 and compare that (sonically) to a U 47 or a UM 57?

I've got the Wagner U 47w, a UM 57 and four CMVs, but only M55k capsules, no M7 or the like, and am wondering if I should go that line and buy some of the RED capsules for the CMVs.

Well, I've got quite a bunch of nice mics, but what I REALLY ( ) need are some matched pairs for Stereo application. Those capsules would probably be a good and not so expensive opportunity to get there (more realistic than another Wagner ).

But, as Andreas Grosser told me, there would be a voltage mismatch (the CMVs offer 80 Volts, the REDs need 60 Volts) - has anybody had problems with that?

Thanks and best wishes,
René
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Addict

i´d like to know that as well.
i heard thomann will carry b.l.u.e. soon.
i will test that(i have 2 CMV563´s with m7 m8 m9) and report in a while...
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Thomann? That surprises me.
I heard that BLUE is out of business and replaced by RED, but at least their site is still online. What has happend?

As for your tests: I'm looking forward to that!
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear
i think if you do a search on gs i read somewhere that the b7/r7 blue capsules were indistiguishable form an m7 capsule on the cmv mic.

blue and read caps are the same just different label.

ej
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by René Hatt View Post
I heard that BLUE is out of business and replaced by RED, but at least their site is still online. What has happend?

BLUE is not going out of business (that I know of, anyway!). Red is a different division of BLUE, and owned by the same folks.

I own both BLUE and RED mics. Great company, great products.
Old 3rd February 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehelix View Post
BLUE is not going out of business (that I know of, anyway!). Red is a different division of BLUE, and owned by the same folks.

I own both BLUE and RED mics. Great company, great products.
dido!!!!!!!!!!!
and theirs a new BLUE coming in the very near future
i hope to get one in for review very soon!
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Thank you for all the replies so far!

Two questions for the moment:

- so there was no change at BLUE? Isn't the RED stuff quite similar to that from BLUE? (I don't know RED well so far, so excuse me if this is a silly question).

- any thoughts on the voltage issue?

Thank you

René
Old 3rd February 2007
500 series nutjob

RED is made by BLUE they are the same capsules.
they were originally sold through the Vintage microphone store only where as BLUE was sold through a dealer net work.
now as i understand RED is being sold through dealers as well.
i own some BLUE and RED both and love them.
and will buy more as the wallet allows!
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

I just found a thread concerning BLUE and RED - and, eh, Violet (not yellow, it's the opposite):
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/103958-blue-violet-red-mics.html

and there is an explanation about BLUE vs. RED by WAR:
"A little bit better description = RED and BLUE are owned by the same people. The RED system was created to take advantage of Blue's "Bottle Caps" utilizing their solid state (Type B) and tube (Type A) bodies for far less money than the Blue Bottle ($4400 with one capsule)."

There seems to be a lot going on concerning colour-named microphones...
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

I´m using B7 with CMV without probs
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Carloff, whats your opinion of the Blue capsule.....compared to the gefell m7?

www.nickoosterhuis.com
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Both are pretty good : B7 hasn´t so much of proximity effect as M7 has, also sounds more "hifi" with more highs but still captures something in mids what M7 has got.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...&highlight=cmv
here are sound samples

on the other way:I´m up to CMV let go with all capsules, cuz 3 weeks later I´m going to Berlin for vintage U47, and if I will have combination of C12 and U47 Im´not sure if still has sense to own CMV...
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

You know a price of the b7? And does Thomann have them?
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

I bought through vintagemics.com and price was 650,-
Honestly I don´t know about Thomann
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

some more infos from Andreas Grosser:

The RED and BLUE capsules are in fact built by Violet Designs, and they sell them themselves for less money than BLUE or RED.

The B7 is not a M7 but a K47.
The K47 has a bit more bass and the resonance is a bit lower.

The M7 needs 80 Volts, while the B7 operates at 60 Volts. The early BLUE capsules were a bit loose (to get more bass), so high SPL could lead the membrane to touch the back plate and stay there. You had to disconnect the microphone and wait till it all discharged.
This should not be a problem normally with newer capsules.

Andreas also talked a lot about PVC vs. Mylar: While they sound very similar in the beginning, PVC gets hard over the years and sounds more edgier then (this happens already after a couple of years). Mylar has a bit more bass and stays more consistent over the years, soundwise. He said that there were 8 different models of the U 47 built over the years, only some early ones were made with M7 capsules using PVC, soundwise those are not the greatest, but those are known as "the original" and are therefore highly sought after.
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

I'd get the orig. M7 for the CMVs, it is what was ment to work with that mic. While B7 is different, I'd prefer to have M7 if I could choose.

Seeing you have UM57, don't worry M7 with CMV sounds totaly different than M7 in the UM57. The UM57 I have is quite bright compared to CMV+M7 combo.
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
I'd get the orig. M7 for the CMVs, it is what was ment to work with that mic. While B7 is different, I'd prefer to have M7 if I could choose.

Seeing you have UM57, don't worry M7 with CMV sounds totaly different than M7 in the UM57. The UM57 I have is quite bright compared to CMV+M7 combo.

Thank you for that statement! I personally are not so very fond of the UM57, it is a bit too bright for me, too.

I would love to have a pair of Mylar M7s for my CMVs, but right now the hype about M7s seems to be quite big. A year and a half ago someone offered me a pair of refurbished M7s for Euro 200 per piece, now it's about Euro 550 for something you can not even be sure there really is something behind the mesh of the grille.

I also have got a pair of vintage UM70 I use with the M582 body, it's yet another sound, although this should be an M7, as far as I know.
So there are quite a lot of quite different sounds that are all labelled "M7".
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
some more infos from Andreas Grosser:

The RED and BLUE capsules are in fact built by Violet Designs, and they sell them themselves for less money than BLUE or RED.
Umm, not really. Violet Designs is its own company. Blue and Red have independent manufacturing. There is some history there that got pretty ugly, but that's not a very productive road to go down.

The Blue/Red B7 capsules do not, in my experience, sound the same as the M7, (I own both) although they do have a relatively similar vibe. The M7 is overall darker and more "vintage" sounding, but the B7 has a real depth to its sound as well. Much more like equally cute sisters than identical twins.

Best of luck with your experiments.
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would love to have a pair of Mylar M7s for my CMVs, but right now the hype about M7s seems to be quite big. A year and a half ago someone offered me a pair of refurbished M7s for Euro 200 per piece, now it's about Euro 550 for something you can not even be sure there really is something behind the mesh of the grille.
It worked for me buying M7 cheap (I mean really cheap - 50euro) that was nice cosmeticaly, the capsule was degraded somehow but still worked (though it sounded more like M8 than M7). Then sending to Gefell and they did their job and changed the inside for 500euro. That was the expensive part, but I know I have my M7 in top notch condition and the PVC membrane is brand new (doesn't hurt). They charge the same for reskinning BTW.

I wonder if the capsule in my UM57 isn't a bit dried out (ie brittle with less lows), but it looks like it is the way how the mic sounds. I was told by Carloff, that mr. Grosser told him (oh, isn't this nice 3nd hand expirience?) there are some mods, that can bring UM57 close to that U47 holy grail no one can live without. But I'm not excited by that option, better to have real UM57 than UM47 sort of U57 or M47? ;-) And I love the way how UM57 omni sounds.

I'd really like to hear Wagener side by side with CMV563+M7...
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yep, andreas told me that Sigmund Thiersch can tune capsule for darker sound.Which is quite close to U 47 (at least Blue U 47 mod, but also important part of original U 47 sound is grill, tube and transformer.
Old 25th December 2012
Here for the gear

cmv 563 capsules

I recently bought a cmv 563 with the 55k Omni only, and am wondering if the red and blue u47 clone capsules screw right on or do I need a bayonet type adapter? thanks, this is my first post.
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcu kiftad View Post
I recently bought a cmv 563 with the 55k Omni only, and am wondering if the red and blue u47 clone capsules screw right on or do I need a bayonet type adapter? thanks, this is my first post.
You need the GB adaptor for the Blue capsules.

I still have a B4 for sale in the classifieds, if you would like to have one.

In my experience the UM 70 + M 582, M 7 + CMV 563, the UM 57 and the Wagner U 47 all sound quite different.
I like the U 47 best
The UM57 has this thick "hairy" tube sound that can be great - or too wooly. I made a stellar recording of a slide guitar with it, before it got stolen. I didn't like it on acoustic guitar (too fuzzy), and vocals sounded interesting, but also a bit too fuzzy. Guitar cabinets must sound gorgeous with the UM 57.

I haven't had a chance to test the B7, but I somehow don't like the Blue capsule sound (I've tested B0, B4, B6, R8). I still own two R8 and a B6, though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search