The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Stereo Bus Compressor? [Electronic Music] Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 21st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Yeah I was gutted, it was the genuine, original packing, loosely moulded for the unit but enough space around the module to break the knobs off and rattle the insides.

I also have 2 mono Gamas that I love sonically but they have mismatched knobs which again served to drain my confidence in QC....

Needless to say I don't buy SH anymore.
That really doesn´t sound good. I guess I was lucky, then...
Old 22nd March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorka View Post
The 1968, especially the MK2 version is highly underrated in this community, indeed.
Anyway, the question was "I'm in the market for a high quality - Stereo Bus Compressor (500 series) for my studio."
I already said about the 500 series i think you can't go wrong with the Xpressor is real bargain is transparent enough for electronic music!Is very versatile unit in my opinion for the price is excellent !
Old 22nd March 2016
Gear Addict
I'm telling you the obsidian is great.....it does not affect the bass in anyway and leaves the stereo image intact and in someways enhances it!
http://www.dramasticaudio.com/500/images/500.jpg
Old 23rd March 2016
Lives for gear
Just for fun and something different. TCE M5000 and 6000 are very useful units. Multi band compression, EQ, MS decode w/ controls, great reverbs, and many more effects. But that is a digital piece, not analog. I picked up a used M5000 w/ two pairs of analog IO and the MD2 option for about $1K. They were designed as mastering tools. The converters sound great to the point I consider it a + color piece. The TCE programming into the M5000 and M6000 are what make TCE a respected company. It's different than an SSL bus compressor or any emperical labs piece.

I call it my "Unsuck button". When I find a track with a problem during mixing, I can typically fix it somehow with a TCE M5000.
Old 15th July 2017
Gear Nut

As an EDM engineer, educator, and artist I can provide some objective feedback on the options:

Obsidian - best stereo image around. The tone can be a bit brittle at times compared to a more transparent option like the elysia. If controlled low end - it has the best internal side chain - is a must, and you do not want to comprise your stereo width this is the unit to go with.

Alan Smart - The C1LA is the most versatile and packed with options. Great side chain, tons of variables, excellent width retention (not quite as wide as obsidian but close), and a very snappy SSL tone. The C2 is much more aggressive with less options. It features the "crush" which thrives in parallel. I personally use the C2 for sub groups and C1 for mix bus.

SSL: The vintage and reissue models just don't cut it for edm. Great for subgroups but avoid as they all lack internal side chains and don't have enough options.

Elysia: Very clean and transparent. Most neutral and non hyped sounding. Tame but sonically enriching. The warmth circuit is money on the low end. I never take it off. Longest attack and release times which is nice do it can be used on subgroups too for more creative styles of compression. GRL is an awesome feature and thrives for mix bus duties so final limiter isn't going nuts

Crane Song: Trakkers are a staple in my workflow. Expensive but worth it. External side chain cables not included but 16 compressor models are. I look at these units. These are mastering grade and come stock now with the Bob Katz mod. Not to mention 19 inch gear is always best for mastering and 2 bus duties over 500 gear as they have more ample power capability.

Bettermaker: Their "3 in one" compressor is quite a package. As versatile as the elysia but with even more options. Clean and punchy. Transparent but tonal
In a clean way.

API: 2500 is punchy but colored as hell in a great way. Very think sounding and dark compared to a clean option. The options are amazing and you can really dial in the release. The harmonic contours are great and the filter options make a huge impact.

All of these units are amazing. You can't go wrong with any. Just remember, one day you will move a Comp off your two buss to a sub group when you get better gear. So buy now with the future in mind to save money and also to maximize your sonic possibilities!

Last edited by Deadsound; 31st July 2017 at 01:57 PM..
Old 20th July 2017
Deleted 47d171f
Check out the TK audio BC501/500 series stereo compressor. Pretty nice price. OR the Smart research C2. Is also real good.
Old 22nd July 2017
Engagement Manager

Wes Audio _DIONE is my favourite 500 series Bus Comp by a long way
Old 22nd July 2017
you can maybe add the Elysia Mpressor 500 x 2 to your list, It's great for EDM. But let's talk about a few things to keep in mind.
1st make sure you are coming out of your daw at -16dbfs (depending on your converters +4 db) why is that important? because some 500 series compressors don't like the signal at 0 dbfs.
2nd. never put the compressor at the end of the mix, put it after you balance the mix, so you can then mix and finesse into it. It will also help you with the low end either exposing it's flaws (too much low end robing you of headroom) or tightening it up (gluing the kick and bass)
3rd. Make sure you have a decent listening enviremenr, yes that makes a difference when applying compression. I suggest Sonarworks either the headphone or monitor plugin but the headphone one may be simpler depending on your set up.
Old 22nd July 2017
Deleted User
The SSL is slamming for EDM and metal.

SSL is very percussive.
Old 23rd July 2017
Gear Maniac

another vote for the obsidian for 2-bus duties. before the obsidian I was using a shdv. the shdv was nice too, but now it's on the drum bus, and sounds awesome there.

I record mostly loud noise, punk, and metal. sometimes softer acoustic stuff too. this setup works great, for me.
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceVandergraph View Post
another vote for the obsidian for 2-bus duties. before the obsidian I was using a shdv. the shdv was nice too, but now it's on the drum bus, and sounds awesome there.

I record mostly loud noise, punk, and metal. sometimes softer acoustic stuff too. this setup works great, for me.
Lol I guess it's time to change your name to OllieObsidian?
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadsound View Post
As an EDM engineer, educator, and artist I can provide some objective feedback on the options:

Obsidian - best stereo image around. The tone can be a bit brittle at times compared to a more transparent option like the elysia. If controlled low end - it has the best internal side chain - is a must, and you do not want to comprise your stereo width this is the unit to go with.

Alan Smart - The C1LA is the most versatile and packed with options. Great side chain, tons of variables, excellent width retention (not quite as wide as obsidian but close), and a very snappy SSL tone. The C2 is much more aggressive with less options. It features the "crush" which thrives in parallel. I personally use the C2 for sub groups and C1 for mix bus.

SSL: The vintage and reissue models just don't cut it for edm. Great for subgroups but avoid as they all lack side chains and don't have enough options.

Elysia: Very clean and transparent. Most neutral and non hyped sounding. Tame but sonically enriching. The warmth circuit is money on the low end. I never take it off. Longest attack and release times which is nice do it can be used on subgroups too for more creative styles of compression. GRL is an awesome feature and thrives for mix bus duties so final limiter isn't going nuts

Crane Song: Trakkers are a staple in my workflow. Expensive but worth it. External side chain cables not included but 16 compressor models are. I look at these units. These are mastering grade and come stock now with the Bob Katz mod. Not to mention 19 inch gear is always best for mastering and 2 bus duties over 500 gear as they have more ample power capability.

Bettermaker: Their "3 in one" compressor is quite a package. As versatile as the elysia but with even more options. Clean and punchy. Transparent but tonal
In a clean way.

API: 2500 is punchy but colored as hell in a great way. Very think sounding and dark compared to a clean option. The options are amazing and you can really dial in the release. The harmonic contours are great and the filter options make a huge impact.

All of these units are amazing. You can't go wrong with any. Just remember, one day you will move a Comp off your two buss to a sub group when you get better gear. So buy now with the future in mind to save money and also to maximize your sonic possibilities!
You're incorrect. SSL has side chaining capability.

http://www2.solidstatelogic.com/stud...ies-compressor
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

I have an X rack SSL buss compressor and it most certainly has a key in (side chain).
Old 24th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Lol I guess it's time to change your name to OllieObsidian?
... or PeterPortico. really love my 551s and 542s
Old 24th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperschool View Post
Wes Audio _DIONE is my favourite 500 series Bus Comp by a long way
Old 31st July 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
You're incorrect. SSL has side chaining capability.

1U G Series Compressor | Solid State Logic
I was speaking sbout internal side chains, not external.
Old 31st July 2017
Lives for gear

I haven't used the two others, but based on my experience on SSL G and Xpressor I'd say that Xpressor for electronic music. SSL G is good, but it's a bit tame for electronic music I find, unless it's for slow tempo and not that dynamic parts (e.g. pads, ambient stuff), the Xpressor has better feature set for electronic music at least.
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear
Alan Smart, Pendulum or SSL G for me. (EDM, Indie, Rock and Hard Rock)

I was thinking about building an SSL Clone a while back and I used one at a studio in town, sitting in the same rack as a C1. The clone was super pumpy and way too bright for me. That put me off the idea of building one (I'm sure they all differ but the chance of getting something that far off isn;t appealing to me)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search