The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Burl B2 thoughts Dynamics Plugins
Old 10th March 2016
Lives for gear
Burl B2 thoughts

Whenever the Burl B2 comes up for discussion, there's always a lot of talk about the transformer saturation and the attenuator knob.

I just wanted to say that the extra "mojo" is not compulsory and the more I work with the B2 on a daily basis, the more I like the cleanest setting -12. In fact, the way the lower settings squash the transient detail on voice is not always a pleasant thing. This is no criticism, I absolutely love the thing to bits, but the more I open up the settings the wider my smile gets.

The B2 saturation can be a subtle or more coloured thing, but it's not at all mandatory. Agree anyone?
Old 10th March 2016
Gear Guru

it can do clean to a bit of TX saturation.I tend to hit the inputs light to moderate and makeup to DAW with the atten.
its all subjective but imo the burl has a solidness and analog feel like no other converter.
I'm on Mothership/B2's.
Old 10th March 2016
Engagement Manager

Absolutely
When set at -12 it's a completely different beast
Old 10th March 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
it can do clean to a bit of TX saturation.I tend to hit the inputs light to moderate and makeup to DAW with the atten.
its all subjective but imo the burl has a solidness and analog feel like no other converter.
I'm on Mothership/B2's.
How hard do you usually hit the B2 with your mix? I like peaks around -11db coming out of my analog summing...using UAD Pultec, Fairchild/SHMC/VariMu and Ampex afterwards.
Old 10th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
How hard do you usually hit the B2 with your mix? I like peaks around -11db coming out of my analog summing....
sounds about right -11/-9..I can stage whatever at the output of the console then use SHMC for any attenuation needed to Pultecs then B2,occasional peaks around -3.the rest ITB then mastering.
Old 10th March 2016
Lives for gear

Fully!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
Whenever the Burl B2 comes up for discussion, there's always a lot of talk about the transformer saturation and the attenuator knob.

I just wanted to say that the extra "mojo" is not compulsory and the more I work with the B2 on a daily basis, the more I like the cleanest setting -12. In fact, the way the lower settings squash the transient detail on voice is not always a pleasant thing. This is no criticism, I absolutely love the thing to bits, but the more I open up the settings the wider my smile gets.

The B2 saturation can be a subtle or more coloured thing, but it's not at all mandatory. Agree anyone?
Old 10th March 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
sounds about right -11/-9..I can stage whatever at the output of the console then use SHMC for any attenuation needed to Pultecs then B2,occasional peaks around -3.the rest ITB then mastering.
Sure would be nice to have all the actual hardware! I pick up a lot of gain from the SHMC plugin because I find one of its most euphonic qualities is running the gain in both sections around 14.
Old 10th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Sure would be nice to have all the actual hardware! I pick up a lot of gain from the SHMC plugin because I find one of its most euphonic qualities is running the gain in both sections around 14.
havent tried the plug.yeah bought serial #2 in '06 I think.rebuilt to newer spec in '15.
still love that thing.
Old 10th March 2016
Lives for gear

Even if you hit it lightly, there are just certain things the B2 just doesn't recreate accurately. That's not to say it might not be the best sounding option for MANY mixes, but in it's pursuit of "warmth" there are certain details that get lost with the B2.
Old 10th March 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
havent tried the plug.yeah bought serial #2 in '06 I think.rebuilt to newer spec in '15.
still love that thing.
Sweet. I picked up Burl B2 serial #20 from a fellow Gearslutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterr View Post
Even if you hit it lightly, there are just certain things the B2 just doesn't recreate accurately. That's not to say it might not be the best sounding option for MANY mixes, but in it's pursuit of "warmth" there are certain details that get lost with the B2.
Like at what point on the journey from Queens of the Stone Age to Coldplay would you switch out the Burl? I certainly wouldn't want pick it for say a Latin-pop-EDM thing.
Old 11th March 2016
Lives for gear

Good ting is that we are sure te B2 adds some modjo !!
Old 11th March 2016
Gear Nut

I just got the Mothership(AD DA) few days ago and yes it sounds sweet lush never worked with analog consoles, but I can imagine it one of the closest analog sounding converter out there
Old 11th March 2016
Engagement Manager

It's a little bit obvious to say I like the B2 for rock/guitar stuff but I really do
I might switch out for a 122-96/AD-2/Crookwood or a HEDD if I'm looking for something different
But I'd never complain if a B2 was all I had to capture a mix

Edited my comment as I hadn't meant to use the term 'open'
Old 11th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperschool View Post
It's a little bit obvious to say I like the B2 for rock/guitar stuff but I really do
I might switch out for a 122-96/AD-2/Crookwood or a HEDD if I was looking for something different
But I'd never complain if a B2 was all I had to capture a mix
^^^^ Have you tried the pure 2?
Old 11th March 2016
Lives for gear

my burls are super transparent when hit properly. i did not even try saturating them so far to be honest.
Old 11th March 2016
Lives for gear

When I hit the Burls properly, it sounds clean and open, but with a full and tight low end. Much more opened then the Hedd, that I also have, and i like it for the midrange.
Old 11th March 2016
Engagement Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
^^^^ Have you tried the pure 2?
I've not tried the Pure 2
Old 11th March 2016
recording at -12
mixing depend but usually -16

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search