The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
100k Consoles
Old 6th March 2016
Here for the gear

100k-ish for a console. 24 channel or more.

would like something you can't just buy off the shelf...

any thoughts? any leads?

thanks!

Last edited by eugenethemachine; 6th March 2016 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: info
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Guru

What do you need it to do? There's a guy selling a Shpere somewhere in England, those are hard to find and have a certain cache. Its also less than 100K
Old 6th March 2016
For that kind of money you could easily design and build your own if you want something unique.
Old 6th March 2016
Check this out; Tube Mixer

And if you like this, contact Ian on the forum here.
Old 6th March 2016
Old 6th March 2016
Extremely rare as new and used anyway.

Rupert Neve Design 5088 Limited Edition Shelford

R.
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Nut

For tracking? For mixing only? You have so many different options!

SSL 4048 (40K)
SSL 6000 (30K)
Neve 5114 (30K)
Trident 80B (25K)
Sphere C (47K)
API 1604 (65K)
API 1608 (32-channels) (90K)

Personally, I'd go with a 80B and then use the rest for outboard.
You never mentioned what you have, so recommendations are going to be difficult.
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

New Daking console!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenethemachine View Post
100k-ish for a console. 24 channel or more.

would like something you can't just buy off the shelf...

any thoughts? any leads?

thanks!
Man if I were you please check out the new Daking console. It's really nice. Trident a range sound with compressors and filters along with full inductor eq's on every channel. Amazing centersection features. Trust me, very tough to beat!
Give them a call it's worth your time!
Good luck.
Old 6th March 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replays y'all

The racks have your usual suspects ...pultec, telefunken, urei , bae pres and comps...u get the idea. Mics are top knotch as well. Rooms are good and getting more love this year also.

We currently have a 1608(16 channel). It's cool. But I kinda want something...I dunno ...more? So before I just add the 16 channel expander I thought I'd see what else could happen.

I do really like API - could you score an older legacy for that price?

I like daking also. But does it have the pedigree and respect of an API?

Spectra sonics guys seem to be making consoles again...that might be cool...

Thanks again.
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

Your clients and your business model should dictate what console to buy, IMO.

Where are you located, and what do your competitors have? Do you do indie, HipHop, Rock, R&B, Poppy Pop, Rock? Audio Post maybe? Do you work with external producers and freelancers, Majors, local bands?

Do you mix on the console or does the majority of comp/eq/automation come ITB from (as many pros do these days), using the board more to get levels and the overall picture?

Do you have a large tracking room, or do you do mostly Selena/Britney/Bieber style (1 mic, 1 fader + ITB production)

Do you really NEED a console?

etc.

Despite our attachment to certain stuff, a console is in the end nothing more than a fixed asset to make money.
Old 6th March 2016
Here for the gear

Right. Well yes I understand that. And does factor in to my purchase.

The studio has been open and running for 18years in Austin tx. We know who we are what we like and how we like to work and who we work with at this point.

A hi end console is what we need and want to put out the quality of work we demand of ourselves.

Thanks !

Oh and I need something at least 24 channel so I have enough returns for the studer a800 returns we still use very often.
Old 6th March 2016
Here for the gear

If you have plenty of time I would look for a used GML HRT 9100. It's hard to find a better summing system of line level signal. Add various processors(preamps, equalizers) according to your taste.

Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right. Well yes I understand that. And does factor in to my purchase.

The studio has been open and running for 18years in Austin tx. We know who we are what we like and how we like to work and who we work with at this point.

A hi end console is what we need and want to put out the quality of work we demand of ourselves.

Thanks !

Oh and I need something at least 24 channel so I have enough returns for the studer a800 returns we still use very often.
Ok then if you want something completely unique and stunning looking, the Neve 5088 being modular, allows you to build a great custom console.

For instance, get the main 16ch console with VUs, for around $40k. Then fill the frame between the console and VUs with 16x Heritage 1073 modules, for another $32k. Then a central section with an 32" screen+AVID S3+SSL Sigma for automation $10k more. Round this with the 16ch 5088 Expansion module (without any Pres/eqs) for another $20k or so. Presto!

You get a stunning Class A, 32ch modern console, with 16x 1073s, full DAW control and Automation for the analog faders, via the Sigma.

Yes, there'd be only 16 pres/eqs, but the fact is that you might find a s/h fully loaded 16ch 5088 with 5032 modules, for the same price as the new 16ch 5088 line mixer frame alone. For instance, Vintageking has one at the moment. There you have it, 32 pres+eqs. 16 from RND, 16 Heritage 1073s. Not bad.

The idea is to end with something like this

With an Avid S3 in the middle.
And the left wing loaded with 1073/1084s, sort of like this

The 1073/1084s are 5U in height, just like RND modules, (1081s are 7U) so it will all fit perfectly.

All for around $100k!
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

BTW, the photo with the Shelford 5088 with 32" monitor above, is from Ocean Sound Recording.

You can do the same as they did, order the 16ch expansion module on the left, with 8mono and 8 stereo chs. So in the end you get a 24mono+8st (for fxs returns) console.

If you get a fully loaded s/h 16ch 5088, you'd have enough with 8x 1073s for a total of 24 pre+eqs, reducing the overall bil,l and having enough money left to build the patchbay at either end.
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Nut

Skip all the non sense because as you said you already own all the essential flavors in outboard. Neve and API being the most wanted. Get in touch with Ken Hirsch or Steve Firlotte and have either of those guys build you a custom, one of mixer. 24 Faders, EQ on every channel, Inserts on every channel and run with that. There's no sense piling more pre's into a desk if you already have them as stand alone outboard.

In the end, you can end up with a transfomerless or transformer coupled line input, 4 band parametric EQ, either broad or surgical, the ability to patch all your already owned outboard in, have the summing section using API cards, Neve Cards, heck you name it, and comes out a lot cheaper then any investment in a console that you may or may not use during tracking. They'll even build the enclosure, completely test and design it from the ground up! Though, it won't be a ready made, ready to go product. But, your studio would have a one of a kind product, no other studio anywhere would ever have. All point to point wiring and constructed like a tank!
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

A range or 1604 or 88
Old 7th March 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
I will say that one of a kind and unique rarely tend to get you anymore business. I owned a Flickinger console for years, didn't bring in any business, my Neve console didn't bring in any more business my Electrodyne didn't bring in anymore business and my Langevn tube console brings in no extra business.

My best advise would be to buy for a sound you want. Unique console mean nothing to most musicians (don't care usually), engineers (tend to shy away as they like familiarity) or producers (same as the engineers).

The end result is the only factor to consider. What is going to give you the sound you want. For me it's the old tube console, all my others consoles are gone but that tube beast will be held onto for as long as I can because it rewards me with the sound I was looking for my whole life.

My, 's, Neve, Quad Eight, Electrodyne, Amek and Soundcraft consoles, while all great consoles in there own right, never gave me the sound I was looking for (think Sinatra, Dave Brubeck, Patsy Cline Nat King Cole era). For me it only took 30 years for me to find the sound I was looking for! YMWV

Good luck in your search.
Though a custom console, wouldn't bring him/her more work, having something specifically built to his/her specifications or workflow will. My opinion on this would be that it may not have the "Name appeal" of a Neve, API or Trident desk, but that's not what it's wanted for. Simplifying his workflow and having the ability to sonically chase any palette he'd want in a 24-Channel mixer beats out a commercial console every time. Especially, when he has all the outboard Pre's EQ's and Dynamics to track with.

As we all know, simplifying his workflow makes the engineer more comfortable behind the desk. A more comfortable engineer knows what he wants, knows how he's going to get there and then selects the "tools" for the dedicated job. So, Eugene, what do you want? What's going to make the biggest impact on your workflow and help you get to your endgame? Is that a 24-channel commercial console or are you looking for something custom, built to your specifications?

P.S. Not debating Silvertone in anyway. But, ultimately, we can't tell you what you want. Each of us have a specific way we to like to work as well. However, good luck in your search!
Old 7th March 2016
Gear Nut
Look at UNDERTONE AUDIO
Old 7th March 2016
Here for the gear

thanks guys. all good points.

custom is not my bag. tho I'm sure its cool.

Ive made up my mind that API is the only way for me. I really enjoy the sound and workflow! good company as well.

so really that leaves just two options. adding the 16 channel expander loaded. or hunting down a used legacy.

thanks again guys - you helped me work though this and point me in the right direction for us.

AND let me know if you hear of any cool used API consoles in the world for sale.

rock on
Old 7th March 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:

Ive made up my mind that API is the only way for me. I really enjoy the sound and workflow! good company as well.

so really that leaves just two options. adding the 16 channel expander loaded. or hunting down a used legacy.

thanks again guys - you helped me work though this and point me in the right direction for us.

AND let me know if you hear of any cool used API consoles in the world for sale.

rock on
You do know you can build a custom 24 channel console with SL-2520 Op Amps, Sowter/EA Transformers and get more old school API vibe then you would from any of API's new products, right? All for around the price of just the loaded expander too! However, if you're looking for a used Legacy, I do have a lead on one. Unfortunately, you're not going to get it with your 100K budget. Check with NashvilleAudio. They have a Legacy listed for 149K as well as a Original 1604 listed for 65k. Though, the 1604 is only 16-channels.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGarden View Post
You do know you can build a custom 24 channel console with SL-2520 Op Amps, Sowter/EA Transformers and get more old school API vibe then you would from any of API's new products, right? All for around the price of just the loaded expander too! However, if you're looking for a used Legacy, I do have a lead on one. Unfortunately, you're not going to get it with your 100K budget. Check with NashvilleAudio. They have a Legacy listed for 149K as well as a Original 1604 listed for 65k. Though, the 1604 is only 16-channels.
If he could find the person who is actually selling the Legacy he would
be able to buy it nearer to his 100K budget. Nashville audio are just a broker..
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P View Post
If he could find the person who is actually selling the Legacy he would
be able to buy it nearer to his 100K budget. Nashville audio are just a broker..
True, but I doubt it's going to go down much from 149K. Most of there prices are pretty spot on from the few times I've dealt with them. Not saying there not getting a huge cut, because they surely are!
Old 8th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
True, but I doubt it's going to go down much from 149K. Most of there prices are pretty spot on from the few times I've dealt with them. Not saying there not getting a huge cut, because they surely are!
Brokers usual commission is usually 20%

Which would bring it down closer to the 100k mark for the buyer.

OP - if there are pictures on the broker's site - use google, you'll probably find the studio that are selling..
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Addict

Since your in Austin go check out the Wunder...Wunderbar. I had a long talk last year with Mike when I was seriously thinking about a LFAC. Serious piece of gear.
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alerte338 View Post
Look at UNDERTONE AUDIO
he stopped building consoles.only outboard
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKAudio View Post
A range or 1604 or 88
Good luck with that..A Ranges are a nightmare to service.
1604 limited sidecar..a bigger clean vintage API will cost more than 100k.
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Guru

buy something that sounds great and is serviceable..remember the smaller boutique companies are exactly that..small.if they go belly up or the original owner bails [Tonelux] your semi f*cked.especially when eventually parts become scarce and nobodies around to fix it.
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlack View Post
Since your in Austin go check out the Wunder...Wunderbar. I had a long talk last year with Mike when I was seriously thinking about a LFAC. Serious piece of gear.
limited routing for a lot of money.
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
You do know you can build a custom 24 channel console with SL-2520 Op Amps, Sowter/EA Transformers and get more old school API vibe then you would from any of API's new products, right? All for around the price of just the loaded expander too!
really.for the price of the expander[around 26K]?
who's that?

Last edited by RoundBadge; 8th March 2016 at 08:59 AM..
Old 8th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:

rock on
They are VERY solid service wise..I have 1608 #13 .
Vintage absolutely does sound better though.the newer 1608 sounds more modern/harder.not as round/forgiving musical as an older 2488
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search