The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which stereo bus compressor would you buy ? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Nut

Which stereo bus compressor would you buy ?

I'm carefully building a home studio setup. So many pits to fall into with gear and wasting money.

Apollo UAD FireWire interface.
Apogee Big Ben clock
Heritage audio DMA-73 ( love)
Pair of Rupert Neve 511 (Love )
Mojave Ma 200 (love )
Sm7b, Sm57
Md421
Vox Ac30
Mesa Boogie Recto
Eleven Rack
Fender Stratocaster
Peavey T-40 ( schweeeeeet secret gem)
DM 10 (fun)

And a ton of top plugs and VSTS
Producing Pop, Rnb, ROCK, Dance, Rap

Looking for a stereo buss comp for mix buss

Which would you pick first ?

Manley Vari Mu
Tk Audio Bc-1 s
Geoff daking pair FET II OR III
Dangerous music compressor
Rupert Neve Portico MBP
Vintech 609ca
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

Well I just bought the TK Audio BC1-S... It was delivered yesterday. I'll post more when I've had a chance to use it a bit more but so far so good!

-Mike
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Nut

Awesome Mike ! Thanks brother. I'll standby for your update
Old 6th March 2016
Obsidian
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Nut

I demoed DMC, but I couldn't get into it. Vari-Mu with HPF or TK, I would choose from your list. But, I would demo Phoenix, smart c1, c2, and drastic, too.
Would you consider alternative choice?
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

Narrow it down to the Manley, TK Audio or the Rupert Neve.
You can't go wrong with any of these choices.
The list could be endless, but seriously it's all personal preference.
Nobody can really answer your question for you. The best thing to do is to try them out for yourself.
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Nut

I'm open to other suggestions as well. I'm just trying to get a feel for what people would grab.
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Nut

Yes I'm open to other suggestions as well
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

Either one of these units as they both are hardware of course but with digital plug in control recall . _dione – www.wesaudio.com and this one C502V 3 in1 compressor « Bettermaker . I have 2 Dual Vandergraphs which I bought before these came out. If I re did things then I would get either one
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Agent Man View Post
Yes I'm open to other suggestions as well
Dramastic Obsidian for that SSL flavour if you're really tight the TK should be considered.
Manley or a Gyraf G22 (or G10 if money is an issue) if a vari mu is desired.

Sometimes an 1178 could be cool, but its place is drumbus and vocal tracking.
Inward Connection Vac Rac also more for the drum buss imho, but might work on some stuff.
Pompye compressor intrigues me a lot.. never used myself though.

You'll probably end up with both (SSL +VariMu)

Cheu
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Nut

I like 1178(very well maintained), Fatso, and DBX 160SL(Blue Panel) for cost effectiveness. Especially DBX 160SL can control everything with left channel when you link, and that's really handy for buss duty, IMHO.
For the Permanent(?) mix bus, I personally use 2254(vintage), Fatso, Manley Vari-Mu, Phoenix(Mastering Plus) for alternative choice. But NOT satisfied, yet... lol.
For the Parallel mix bus, My love is the U73b! I am completely satisfied when it is Parallel mix.
I also love EAR 660 vibe, but I only have one...
I will soon try one of the earliest SHMC.
Am I slut enough to be your friend?
I really hope you get BEST mix bus(stereo bus) comp for your taste!!
Old 6th March 2016
Neve MBP is amazing, just got it myself!
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Nut

Seems like no one praised dakings compressors. I like his Pres on guitar.
I kinda am leaning towards the Vari Mu or Ruperert Neve or TK . I like meters as my ears are still developing .

Thanks Tadaki.
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
I kinda am leaning towards the Vari Mu or Ruperert Neve or TK . I like meters as my ears are still developing .

Thanks Tadaki.
Really? Go read the threads on the Daking IIs, lots of people (including BIG mixers) use them on every mix and almost no one ever says anything even remotely negative about them

There is a virtual Daking II that you can play around with a little bit on the RSPE website - give that a listen if you havent
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

I have been switching between a Drawmer 1968 and a Manley Vari Mu for mix bus duty but about 2 months ago I tried the Phoenix there on a project and it sounded great on that particular material. I'm at the end of an indie album and all the mixes have been going through the Phoenix and Massive Passive (except one ballad type track that I felt the Chamaeleon Labs 7720 sounded better on) on mix bus and sounding exactly as I hoped. I'm going to pick up a Drawmer 1978 or 1973 once I've decided which, for another option. Maybe worth some consideration for you too ☺
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

From that list I'd get the Rupert Neve Designs. Lots of cool features.

For the SSL sound I don't think you can beat... SSL. I have listened to lots of clones and I think the real SSL sounds the best.

Personally I would also consider a variable mu like the Manley or the QES Labs.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Here we go again.

I own:

VT7 Fearn
Shadow Hills Master Comp
Obsidian
Phoenix
Foote p4s
Foote p3s
API 2500

have tried the Neve MBP, 660, 33609 (no metal knobs). All good.

I want to try the IGS tubcore, A design Hammer, Elysia Alpha

The Foote p3s or VT-7 would be the last to leave. Phoenix holds special places in my heart. The others have not left the rack.

Then again, rarely on my 2 bus and more frequently used on submixs.

Its a tricky debate because lots of people use 2 bus compressors differently. Some want it to save the mix, others want a tad of color, others want loud and clean with a maintained stereo field.. Every song is different, and no compressor should be "saving" your mix to try and compete with the loudness/glue/separation of others.

Kind of like a bunch of cooks asking what spice is the best to have at the dinner table... All food is different and people like different things. Hell, some cooks just choose good ingredients and forget the spices.

Last edited by XKAudio; 13th April 2016 at 04:05 PM..
Old 7th March 2016
Shadow Hills is my favorite one.
Old 7th March 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
I was always wondering about Daking comps especially Fet2 and 91579, but I never had an experience with them. They must be great unit, I guess.
For the FET based comp, I really like Vintage Audio (Revibe Audio) stuff. I have there M76(seems discontinue now), and I really like it more than other clones I have used.
Old 7th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKAudio View Post
VT7 Fearn
+1
Old 7th March 2016
The garden variety Gssl sounds great and very good control. We have the daking FetIIs as well. I haven't actually tried them on the same source but for a 2 buss comp, the gssl is the way to go.

Out of the gear mentioned to chose from, i would go the RND buss processor due to its stereo field manipulation capabilities :D
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Buzz DBC 2 or SOC 2? Search on youtube, there's demos. I really like them, actually have a hard time deciding which one I'd get.
Old 7th March 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
From that list I'd get the Rupert Neve Designs. Lots of cool features.

For the SSL sound I don't think you can beat... SSL. I have listened to lots of clones and I think the real SSL sounds the best.

I'm leaning towards the Rupert Neve myself. The Pres are super nice and it must be a sweet unit. How does everyone get to 'demo' the unit ? Is that just renting the piece ?
Old 7th March 2016
Gear Maniac

I'd buy the Dangerous compressor. If I had the cash.
Old 7th March 2016
for mix bus/groups? API 2500 or a pair of Kush tweakers or vari-mu... or Smart cl1a.... or the dangerous. Depends on what vibe you want....
Old 9th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
+1 for the Qes Variable Gm
Old 10th March 2016
Gear Addict
I've used quite a few 2bus comps and I myself own the Shadow Hills Master Comp and the Neve MBP for 2bus work and for the genre's you're working with, I'd suggest the Neve MBP. In my opinion its one of the best "all-around" bus compressors on the market because its so versatile both in both its features set and in the material it works well on. You can get transparent to colored (with silk) compression for example. If you had to go with one that can do it all well, that would be my pick based on the various genre's you're working on. Some of the other comps you're considering will be great on certain genre's and not as good on others.
Old 10th March 2016
Gear Head

cant go wrong with rupert neve or Tk Audio Bc-1 s. good luck withe setup. dont forget the smart research too, besides the ones you listed
Old 10th March 2016
Gear Guru

RND 5043 is great on stereo buss, drum buss, or any mono tracking. It's a great tool. A real Swiss Army knife. Also waiting on my Elysia Xpressor, which I have high hopes for.
Old 11th March 2016
Lives for gear
Speakers Speakers Speakers

I know you are asking about a stereo comp, but what are you using for speakers? I would spend my dough on speakers first and stereo compressor later. I think one of the pitfalls is that people don't invest in the two things that make a huge difference. Mics and Speakers.

Quote:
I'm carefully building a home studio setup. So many pits to fall into with gear and wasting money.

Apollo UAD FireWire interface.
Apogee Big Ben clock
Heritage audio DMA-73 ( love)
Pair of Rupert Neve 511 (Love )
Mojave Ma 200 (love )
Sm7b, Sm57
Md421
Vox Ac30
Mesa Boogie Recto
Eleven Rack
Fender Stratocaster
Peavey T-40 ( schweeeeeet secret gem)
DM 10 (fun)

And a ton of top plugs and VSTS
Producing Pop, Rnb, ROCK, Dance, Rap

Looking for a stereo buss comp for mix buss

Which would you pick first ?

Manley Vari Mu
Tk Audio Bc-1 s
Geoff daking pair FET II OR III
Dangerous music compressor
Rupert Neve Portico MBP
Vintech 609ca
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search