The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which stereo bus compressor would you buy ?
Old 12th March 2016
Quote:
Yes I'm open to other suggestions as well
Sebatron SMAC.

I'm saving up to get one of these.
A friend of mine just bought one and he said it smokes over every compressor he has tried.
Old 13th March 2016
Gear Nut

I'm using event 20/20 Bas. Not expensive but they translate awesome !!!!
Old 8th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
From that list I'd get the Rupert Neve Designs. Lots of cool features.

For the SSL sound I don't think you can beat... SSL. I have listened to lots of clones and I think the real SSL sounds the best.

Personally I would also consider a variable mu like the Manley or the QES Labs.
There's an exhaustive shootout thread about hardware compressors, featuring great sound clips.
Clean: Smart C2
Mojo: Manley Vari-Mu
Warm and fat: QES Labs Variable Gm
Transparent comp action: Neve 33609
Old 8th April 2016
Roger foote p3EX comp. He also make other amazing comps at higher price ranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
From the thread Synth Buss Compressor on 3rd Apr 2016

Sorry to mention again after rereading the thread this comes in best at color, price, quality, sound, and flexibility.

Features:
Foote P3EX 2ch comp $1450 features all steel core cinemag transformer I/o beautiful class a vca compressor. Box tone, color,wicked compression curves.
Also has Peak (manual attack/release) or RMS timing.
Hard Knee / Soft Knee operation which is available to both Peak and RMS
5 frequency HPF with front panel rotary switch also hand built in US and there is a thread about it here. Roger Foote also is a synth lover.
Link :
New Foote P3EX Stereo Bus Compressor

Hope this helps
[Posted using Post Recycler]
Old 9th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
Roger foote p3EX comp. He also make other amazing comps at higher price ranges

[Posted using Post Recycler]
+1 mines always on here now!
Old 9th April 2016
Here for the gear

Have the BC501 (500 series version of TK Audio BC-1 S.) Wonderful sounding comp... if you went that route, the 500 module has a couple extra ratios along with the THD button which adds a hint of 2nd order harmonics to the source.

As others have stated, you can't really go wrong with any of those..
Old 9th April 2016
+1 for the BC501... its ususlly that or a Pendulum ES8 for me.

Dont sleep on the new Overstayer offerings...
Old 9th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGreg View Post
There's an exhaustive shootout thread about hardware compressors, featuring great sound clips.
Clean: Smart C2
Mojo: Manley Vari-Mu
Warm and fat: QES Labs Variable Gm
Transparent comp action: Neve 33609
Hello,

Does the manley vari-mu has more modjo than the THermionic Phoenix ?
THanks
Sergio
Old 9th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Agent Man View Post
I'm open to other suggestions as well. I'm just trying to get a feel for what people would grab.
In my search I narrowed it down to, the Manley Vari- Mu or the IGS Tubcore 3U Mastering Edition, and chose the Tubcore 3U (which also a Vari-mu type comp) absolutely outstanding 2 bus comp and I am starting to use it tracking my vocals and acoustic guitar as well.
http://www.igsaudio.com/tubecore-3u
Old 9th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
Buzz DBC 2 or SOC 2? Search on youtube, there's demos. I really like them, actually have a hard time deciding which one I'd get.
Those are two very different Buzz Audio compressors and while Buzz certainly make quality product (Very High End) the "Buzz SOC 20" has literally been the compressor I was missing in my system, and so far is the only compressor I've found to do magical Vocal work, numerous other duties and handle Master Buss Compression Duties as well, extremely rare! Searching for that "Elusive" Stereo/Mono Optical can be and is a huge field full of many promises when looking for a great Optical compressor, like in searching for the "Holy Grail" of optical Compressors the Buzz SOC 20 is totally "Minus the "Drama" of trying to find a Stereo/Mono pair that function independently. When Audio gear like this has been designed as the original OEM designer couldn't find a satisfactory unit the result is certainly something special!

Buzz Audio's Design aesthetic and forward thinking is simply an insight into the implementation of different boards for different parts, that's near a "Lost Art" these days. This is Form, Function, use and service alongside how Client orientated Audio Equipment used to be built. Seperate boards, seperate functions etc, and a definitive magic many talk about, though few deliver! It's obviously why there are so many Compression Threads!

When I think of acquiring new Audio Equipment, it's use, sound, creative functions, work flow enhancements and design feature heavily! Does it add something new? What creative uses and Gaps in production can or does it fill? Is it essential, and by how far is it going to increase creativity and decrease time "In Right Tool for the job", and does it add a new dimension, and finally, when I buy a Compressor, it's not for resale though Life! Research is everything these days in a crowded world of promises!

Lastly my choices always equate to a good degree on serviceability. When an Audio OEM fills all these requirements, and the product not only "Sounds Extrodinary though fills missing holes" it's got to fill the criteria, in not only in its sound, frequency responce, enhancement though 20 year function! I now know why in "Mastering Circles" Buzz Audio is held in such high regard! This is Audio Gear creatively designed and made to last! Amazingly, I'm...still finding uses for the Buzz SOC 20 and it's Highly recommended!
Old 12th April 2016
Lives for gear

If I was only going to have one bus compressor, I'd get an SSL *type*. However, I'm not so picky! I've had great results from the legit SSL, the Smart C2, Dramastic Obsidian, and tweaked GSSL with turbo mod. Yes, there are differences, but I do like them all.

I track with all tube chains often, so that is likely part of the reason I lean more towards the SSL type. I'm not really looking for the tube color at that point.
Old 13th April 2016
Lives for gear

Don't forget the new Manley Nu-Mu, lower price because of some solid state parts, but same compression action, plus some additions like "hip". I'm waiting for demos and reviews so I hope you buy one so I get a review I think I'm getting it some day anyway, but I just got a Massive Passive so I'll have to wait. It's also worth noting that it has two individual channels, I find that better than a straight stereo comp with single set of controls like most SSL-type.

I'm using a Drawmer 1968MKII on mix buss myself, really like it, and have tried the TK BC1 and the SSL-style comp in my Audient. I'm not sure if I like the SSL-style of compression on my own material, I think it can be punchy and cool, but at the same time a little too grabby and thin, and hypes the high end a little, and can be a little weird with low ratios and hpf detector trying to be gentle. I think it's best doing that squeeze and pump instead of trying to be a Vari-Mu. I'd love to have one for parallell drum bus, I think it shines on drum smack.
Old 13th April 2016
dzb
Gear Nut

Foote makes excellent compressors for buss duties. One of those along the lines of a P3 compressor is a high recommendation. I own the mastering version and absolutely love how smooth, versatile, and responsive it is. I rarely dive in with anything heavy on buss compression, it can bite you if you tame dynamics too much and too early. Sometimes it's better to let your mix breathe - a lot of times we'll have a good plug-in buss compressor we can switch in and out for reference and then only maybe use a buss compressor across a mix. There is no one stop set it and forget it buss compressor for everything.

The Smart is nice but can be too much of a good thing- I have heard it first hand - less is more with that gem- with wrong settings for a song, it can abuse a mix that seemed to sound great at the time while being controlled by an experienced engineer- it's a nice piece, but not a first or second choice from my perspective.

I like the Serpent 4001 a LOT and is a great value with exceptional performance which can be used lightly or very heavily without sounding overly compressed- but whatever you use, avoid too much on the mix buss.

API 2500 tends to get drum buss duties more for me. A solid go-to option, though.

Neve portico MBp is a great option, bigger $$. And, like many other good buss compressors, can be used in different areas if /as needed. I really think this unit would be overkill in your set-up as it would be too heavy of a $$ outlay- leave yourself some cash flexibility for after you are rolling for awhile and have mixed a good number of songs in your new environment.

I saw that you indicated having a lot of 'top' plug-ins... I'd say start there and hold off for a bit. You'll make a better choice after a few or several months of mixing. Too often people can get loured into that magic bullet piece of gear before knowing their sonic environment and exploiting all of the good or great tools they already own.

On some songs (rock/blues/ open drums) I will use my DBX 160SL (Blue Series, not a low end unit) very very lightly (barely 1.25... 1.5 rarely, never 2:1) as a guide across a mix and then even play with it slightly to get a feel for what mastering may do to affect positioning of drums (mainly snare) and then usually back off the buss compressor or switch it out because I wind up back at the perspective of realizing I have a good mix already because I paid attention to parts in mixing rather than relying on a buss compressor to handle duties that should have been applied earlier in the mixing chain.

Don't get sucked too far into the hole of relying on or thinking that a buss compressor is going to magically "make" or "give you" better mixes - you listed a lot of nice gear you have. An earlier post about making sure you have a great listening environment/monitors should be a focus before laying out tons of extra cash on a buss compressor.

Last edited by dzb; 14th April 2016 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: Fixed typos
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search