The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ATC, The Rocks & Proac Studio Monitors
Old 4th March 2016
Here for the gear

ATC, The Rocks & Proac

Hello there guys.

I'm looking at the following monitors right now, the ATC SCM20ASL Pro (discontinued), The Rocks, Proac100 & The Canalis Anima (studio one).

Which would you pick between these four? And why? Now I know the correct answers to this question is that monitors are personal choice and you have to test them in your own environment, blah blah blah but I'm just interested in what you all think and prefer.

Last edited by Audiopassion7; 4th March 2016 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add Studio one to the monitor options.
Old 4th March 2016
Lives for gear

I haven't heard the Rocks, but I know the Studio 100 and own the ATCs. The ProAcs are good but IMO dated. The ATCs are a much, MUCH smoother sounding speaker but with more transparency. The ProAcs can be a bit harsh and closed-in at times as they have dispersion issues.
Old 4th March 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks Alexk :-)

Whoops! Forgot to add the Canalis Anima or Studio one monitors to the list there. Also really keen on those. Anyone else wanna chime in?
Old 5th March 2016
Here for the gear

Anyone else?
Old 5th March 2016
Lives for gear

I can't contribute on the Rocks or the ProAcs, but I own the SCM20's and couldn't be happier. They're truly an incredible monitor.
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

funky junk uk have some ATC's that just came out of EA (games)
Old 9th March 2016
ProAC's just dont work for me tone wise. They seem, just unfocused almost? Hard to describe but just wasnt what i was looking for. I got the SCM20MKII's and couldnt be happier.
Old 9th March 2016
Pro ac release a new version recently stating improvements however I haven't seen much feedback and have not received a demo pair( may not receive one actually )

The Unity Audio Rock mkii don't have much feedback either, however I have seen the owner on this forum offering demos for certain pairs. I may need to give him a call actually.

ATC - a lot of people have advised me to keep saving on my quest. Many people have decided that purchasing a lesser monitor always feels like settling short. IMO, there is a reason the speakers are priced they way they are. I would save up for the ATC as I may be doing.

Studio one spiral groove I know Brian lucey I believe like s these a lot and from my research people say they are clinical, wide bandwidth, low distortion type like ATC almost so you may want to try to get the ATC / SGS1 in your room.

Like I stated the unity audio owner is on GS user name @ Kevlar I believe I have seen him offer 14 day demo period so I'm sure hearing the rock mkii won't be a problem for you.
Old 9th March 2016
Lives for gear

Compared the rock with new scm25 and 20's.... ATC all the way to my ears
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search