The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End DJ Mixers DJ Mixers
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear
Bumping this because I've *almost* decided to give the Radius 2 a go. My Ecler Nuo 2.0 has been a bit problematic, currently suffering from a dry joint after a repair to the faders, so it's finally motivated me to make the change. Nice mixer overall, though, think I've just been a bit unlucky with the technical issues. I had been thinking about grabbing one of the Omnitronic Mk3s as a like-for-like, but not convinced about the build / reproduction quality, kinda feeling more like going all in than getting something I might outgrow in a few years.

Anyway ... I'd pretty much decided on the Radius, but I've just noticed that E&S are now doing a 2 channel version of the DJR - haven't been able to find a price, but it could obviously be a serious alternative. I get the feeling that the E&S has something of a chunky, clubby vibe whereas the Radius is more refined, also read that the isolator on the Radius is a be a bit more conservative than the full on Clausell style potential on the DJR. Just wondering if anyone's used both and/or has any views?
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Addict

I've got the Radius 4 with the fancy opamps and it's freakin amazing. It's a notch up from the old DJR400 if big and clean is what you're looking for. It sounds like you're mixing on proper studio gear. Almost nonexistent noise and no mud in the mix bus. This mixer made me buy a VPI record cleaning machine.

Yes the filters have gentler slopes than most isolators. This is actually great because you can get a few dB tone correction without it sounding like something's off. I'm not that guy up there making the dramatic knobface, so I typically use it for subtle adjustments if at all. IMHO, if you need to ride the hell out of the controls the whole set, your records might be boring, and if the records don't suck, you're probably not improving them. Yes I've heard exceptions, but they were few.

also I was so happy to finally get an aux send, I posted this (phone mic audio):
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenway View Post
Bumping this because I've *almost* decided to give the Radius 2 a go. My Ecler Nuo 2.0....
Also had to say, compared to the Ecler, you will be in for a MASSIVE upgrade. Those only seem pretty nice because 95% of DJ mixers since forever have been hot garbage. No market in pro sound has been treated worse than DJs.
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear
Yeah, looking forward to it. To be honest I was finding the €€€ hard to justify for a while because it's mainly going to stay in my living room, but I kinda figure that if I'm going to spend now I may as well do it properly and get something that will do me for years to come. Don't want to knock the Ecler though, it's fine-to-good for what it is, and probably the best sub-€500 mixer I know.

How do you find mixing with the HPF? Part of me wonders whether I'll miss a regular old three band, but I'm sure in reality that thinking about the mix and working the channel volumes becomes like second nature within a few hours.
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah, looking forward to it. To be honest I was finding the €€€ hard to justify for a while because it's mainly going to stay in my living room, but I kinda figure that if I'm going to spend now I may as well do it properly and get something that will do me for years to come. Don't want to knock the Ecler though, it's fine-to-good for what it is, and probably the best sub-€500 mixer I know.

How do you find mixing with the HPF? Part of me wonders whether I'll miss a regular old three band, but I'm sure in reality that thinking about the mix and working the channel volumes becomes like second nature within a few hours.
Yeah the Ecler is not bad for what it is, and the options for a low cost and flexible analog DJ mixer are dwindling. The last one I saw was literally smoking on my bench though, and it was cheaper for the owner to replace than have me repair it. Also I don't mean to put down the DJR400 either, it's a great little mixer that paved the way for all the boutique mixers out now.

The HPF is very smooth. Eventually it'll make more sense than mixing with low eq. You can just take out clashy subs without taking out all the LF. It's not as obvious that you're cheating . I don't even think to use it most of the time. You'll find you don't need EQ mixing since the summing doesn't get all mucked up. You can hear both records clearly in the mix and you can tell when a mix isn't going to work in the cue. I used a PMC-25 for a long time too, so I used to EQ mix like crazy.
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Bumping this because I've *almost* decided to give the Radius 2 a go. My Ecler Nuo 2.0 has been a bit problematic, currently suffering from a dry joint after a repair to the faders, so it's finally motivated me to make the change. Nice mixer overall, though, think I've just been a bit unlucky with the technical issues. I had been thinking about grabbing one of the Omnitronic Mk3s as a like-for-like, but not convinced about the build / reproduction quality, kinda feeling more like going all in than getting something I might outgrow in a few years.

Anyway ... I'd pretty much decided on the Radius, but I've just noticed that E&S are now doing a 2 channel version of the DJR - haven't been able to find a price, but it could obviously be a serious alternative. I get the feeling that the E&S has something of a chunky, clubby vibe whereas the Radius is more refined, also read that the isolator on the Radius is a be a bit more conservative than the full on Clausell style potential on the DJR. Just wondering if anyone's used both and/or has any views?

The DJR200 is around 1250€ if i remember correctly !! I have the DJR400, it is really a good mixer, and i think it's the most intuitive build i've seen on mixer, it's just really natural and smooth to mix on this !

But the radius looks pretty great i have to say !

But do not forget also that the DJR is hand built so you pretty much can ask for anything you want ! That's a good point in my opinion. After 1 year, i ask E&S to add the FX channel send (ok i live like 300meters from their shop )

EDIT : and last time i saw this mixer, i really fell in love with the design ! i almost bought it as an extra for my SL1200..
Varia Instruments - Handcrafted in Switzerland

Last edited by whocancatchme; 16th April 2018 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: add link
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB View Post
The HPF is very smooth. Eventually it'll make more sense than mixing with low eq. You can just take out clashy subs without taking out all the LF. It's not as obvious that you're cheating . I don't even think to use it most of the time. You'll find you don't need EQ mixing since the summing doesn't get all mucked up. You can hear both records clearly in the mix and you can tell when a mix isn't going to work in the cue. I used a PMC-25 for a long time too, so I used to EQ mix like crazy.
Thanks, that’s what I figured alright. Will more than likely order one pretty soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocancatchme View Post
The DJR200 is around 1250€ if i remember correctly
That’s a really decent price, maybe €100 less than the Radius 2. I might contact them anyway and check on lead in times. If I was buying for club or bar use I’d probably be leaning towards the DJR for its big chunky sound and isolator layout, but for primarily home listening it seems to me like the Radius is a little bit more refined ... plus my Mrs is totally sold on the VU meter aesthetic so she’s less likely to ask further questions, an important consideration.

The Varia looks great as well, proper Mad Scientist of the Mix territory.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search