The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Daking or Chandler LTD-2 Compressor
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Daking or Chandler LTD-2 Compressor

I am going to add a compressor to my toolbox. I have a pair of LA-4's and a Fairchild 661 highly modified by Fred Cameron that has got loads of 'character'. Also the DBX 160X and the RNC (sorry). I record exclusively to tape, 1" 8 track - lots of acoustic guitars, ribbon mics, TRP and telefunken V-72a mic pres, etc. I am looking for something fast and sorta transparent if needs to be for not a ton of $$$. Am almost sold on the Daking but have heard lots of good things about the Chandler LTD-2 also. Any comments? By the way, comments in my thread on the AEA TRP were REALLY helpful!
Old 1st February 2007
mds
Lives for gear

Haven't used the Chandler, but I use the Dakings aaaallllll the time. They're really great. Very transparent in my experience. I've crushed the living hell out of things and it doesn't sound squashed. If you hit them REALLY hard there is some cool coloration that can be had, but overall they stay out of the way and just help a signal stay where you want it. I love 'em.

Mike
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Kinda wondering why an 1176-type is not on the list or in the arsenal yet. Seems like a pretty basic flavor which has not yet been addressed.

It's A) Fast, and 2) Sorta Transparent
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Nut

The Daking is Much better!!!!
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincedB View Post
The Daking is Much better!!!!
I don't doubt that the Daking is excellent. I have always liked Geoff's gear. The Chandler is also really good. Our current favorite Neve style comp is the Vintage Designs CL1-MKII, but it's two channel and runs in the mid $3K range.

My comment was based on seeing that there are already optos (LA-4), VCA (dbx), and "funky" vintage (Fair 661), but no 1176, which is a pretty essential comp for all-around studio tracking, from vocals to instruments. The British flavors of Daking and Chandler are certainly nice to have, but I'd put them next down the list, after the 1176 (Purple MC77).
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

daking is so flexiable and do just what you want it to do as soon as you learn its gain staging
Old 2nd February 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

I think there are others worth trying if you are going to tape. You would really have to experiment.
I wonder how a Smart C1 or C2 would be with tape as the end product?
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Not familiar with Smart at all...
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

I too am chasing a new compressor. Something big round and colourful. Any suggestions of what I should check out? Currently I have nothing but a couple of RNC's and an SSL 4000 compressor clone. Mono or stereo...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search