The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AMS Neve 8816 vs. RND 5059 Satellite Consoles
Old 1st March 2016
AMS Neve 8816 vs. RND 5059 Satellite

I am thinking of upgrading this year from the Dangerous 2-Buss LT to either the AMS Neve 8816 or the Rupert Neve Designs 5059 Satellite. Any opinions as to which device is superior in sound, features, etc.? I know that the 5059 is supposed to share the sonics of the RND 5088 console, which is a sound I like.
Old 2nd March 2016
I had a 8816 for a short while (had to return it due to it not playing nice with my monitors amp), and I have to say as a summing mixer it sounded absolutely killer. Things just opened up and meshed perfectly. Either one though will sound great!
Old 2nd March 2016
Gear Head

I'd definitely go for the Satellite. The functionality of it, quality of build, versatility, and sound are all stellar.
Old 2nd March 2016
Gear Nut
This has been discussed in GS before. Do a search as there are good opinions out there
Old 4th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinATX View Post
I'd definitely go for the Satellite. The functionality of it, quality of build, versatility, and sound are all stellar.
One thing that I like about the 8816 is that it seems a bit more DAW friendly with some of the additional options available. The 5059 did not seem to offer those options. However, the sound is the most important consideration for me and I love the way the 5088 sounds as a board. I'm not familiar with the sound of the 80 series consoles in person which the 8816 is based upon according to the AMS Neve site. I guess I'll have to audition each.

Thanks for your opinion.
Old 4th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celinara View Post
I had a 8816 for a short while (had to return it due to it not playing nice with my monitors amp), and I have to say as a summing mixer it sounded absolutely killer. Things just opened up and meshed perfectly. Either one though will sound great!
What was the issue that you were having with your monitors amp? I have the Focal Twin Be's and a pair of Avatones that are connected to an Avocet II.
Old 9th March 2016
Was a ground loop. Never had the issue with anything else, or any other combination, but just those two didnt quite play nice. (It's a krell kav500)
Old 9th March 2016
Lives for gear

8816/8804

I am a huge fan of RND products, especially their new direct box.

I have been using the 8816 since it first came out, mine is Serial #67 .

I also have the 8804 fader pack, Serial #7 .

Both of these pieces have provided me with excellent service and zero problems. I am quite addicted to the sound of these two gadgets.

When the fader pack is properly installed the level knobs on the 8816 become pre-fader aux bus with a discreet output.

The fader pack is a substantial additional purchase but it's a real differentiator between the AMS Neve offering and the RND summing mixer.

The Peak Program Meters on the AMS Neve are very useful as is the full function control room monitor switching system.

The AMS Neve also has some unique functions for mastering such as the ability to switch to M/S mode for widening a mix or other processing functions.

The AMS Neve has a functional "Total Recall" feature, I use a dedicated (older) Mac Mini to run the recall software and features on my 8816/8804 combo. The software really lets you tap into some important additional features like pre or post direct outputs from every fader on the 8804.

To understand all the functionality of the 8816/8804 download the owners/operation manual from the AMS Neve site.

I paid a little over $3000 for my 8816/8804 at Guitar Center in St Louis back in 2007. I class it as one of the best gadgets I ever bought.

For additional inputs I have the 8816/8804 paired up with a modified Allen & Heath 40 channel mixer and a Soundcraft 16 channel mixer. Between these three pieces I can develop over 70 line inputs at mix down, finally I have enough inputs. The AMS Neve 8816 has over 26 dB of output level so it has plenty of headroom to accommodate all the inputs I can throw at it.

Good luck in your quest and good music to all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search