The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Ideas When This U87 Was Made
Old 1st March 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
Any Ideas When This U87 Was Made

Just bought this and it was advertised as a 1979 Model. Can anyone verify that? Thanks.

Any Ideas When This U87 Was MadeServiced Vintage Neumann U87 Microphone C 1979 w Case Shockmount | eBay
Old 1st March 2016
  #2
Contact Neumann and give them the serial number. They will respond (usually within 2-3 days) with the date of manufacture
Old 1st March 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Contact Neumann and give them the serial number. They will respond (usually within 2-3 days) with the date of manufacture
Thank you.
Old 2nd March 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 
VO Guy's Avatar
 

The fact that according to the pictures it has a battery compartment confirms that it is a pre-ai U87.
Old 2nd March 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
 
DarkSky Media's Avatar
According the post at the link below, U87 serial no 32,473 was manufactured in September 1978:

How old by serial number?

My notes (based on information supplied by Neumann in 2004) suggest that two years later (Sept 1980) the serial numbers had reached 37,000.

If your mic's serial number is within this range, then there is a good chance that the advertised age is accurate. However I agree with [email protected] - the best way to get an authoritative date of manufacture is to submit a query to Neumann. If you send an email to:

[email protected]

(quoting the serial number found engraved at the base of the mic) they will check it for you and advise.
Old 2nd March 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 
DarkSky Media's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Guy View Post
The fact that according to the pictures it has a battery compartment confirms that it is a pre-ai U87.
True, but that only signifies that it was manufactured before the production of the battery-operated ceased during 1986. Given that the mic was introduced in 1967, that's still a pretty wide window.
Old 2nd March 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
hasbeen's Avatar
Mine: 30475 > 1977
Old 2nd March 2016
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post

My notes (based on information supplied by Neumann in 2004) suggest that two years later (Sept 1980) the serial numbers had reached 37,000.
Almost! I have one with serial number 36305 that was dated 1981 from Neumann.
But who cares?
Old 2nd March 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
DarkSky Media's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Almost! I have one with serial number 36305 that was dated 1981 from Neumann.
But who cares?
Interesting. Thanks for chiming in.

FWIW, my information came from Martin Schneider at Neumann, posted in the thread on the Neumann forums at:

Archive - U87 date of manufacture

However it would not be the first time I've seen minor discrepancies in dating - including one of my own U87s, which Neumann date as May '74, while other sources have put it at 1972.

As you say, who cares - at this distance, a year or two difference for the same model is splitting hairs.
Old 3rd March 2016
  #10
Gear Addict
 

Strange. I got my date via mail from Neumann. Martin Schneider refers to shipping, my mail from Eugen Rehrich refers to manufactoring. Maybe that's explaining the difference.
Old 3rd March 2016
  #11
Lives for gear
 
DarkSky Media's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Strange. I got my date via mail from Neumann. Martin Schneider refers to shipping, my mail from Eugen Rehrich refers to manufactoring. Maybe that's explaining the difference.
I don't think that could be the reason. If they didn't manufacture no 36305 until 1981, it seems unlikely that they were able to ship 37166 some months earlier (in Sept 1980), as per the Martin Schneider's forum post - unless they were 'working backwards'.

As I said, I've encountered some other minor discrepancies in dating that are hard to account for, including one of the mics we have here, no 20099, which according to Neumann Head Office was manufactured in May 1974, but a post on their forum (again from Martin Schneider of Neumann) affirms that a U87 with the later serial 22262 was shipped out the preceding year. Again the online information about shipping dates seems to conflict the 'official' date info.

However, as noted, it's not of much consequence. E.g. in my case, whether mic 20099 is from '74 or circa '72 doesn't change the fact that it is a vintage specimen that sounds great.
Old 3rd March 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
According the post at the link below, U87 serial no 32,473 was manufactured in September 1978:

How old by serial number?

My notes (based on information supplied by Neumann in 2004) suggest that two years later (Sept 1980) the serial numbers had reached 37,000.

If your mic's serial number is within this range, then there is a good chance that the advertised age is accurate. However I agree with [email protected] - the best way to get an authoritative date of manufacture is to submit a query to Neumann. If you send an email to:

[email protected]

(quoting the serial number found engraved at the base of the mic) they will check it for you and advise.
Does the serial# on the capsule usually match the serial # on the mic body? Should it?
Old 3rd March 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Klaus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
Just bought this and it was advertised as a 1979 Model. Can anyone verify that?
Email me the serial number embossed on the bottom of the connector bell, next to the XLR connector, and I will look it up: [email protected].

The serial number of the head assembly is not indicative of manufacturing or delivery dates of the mic as a whole.

Also: don't confuse delivery and manufacturing dates: When using the official inquiry email, Neumann does NOT respond with manufacturing dates of its mics, but references when the mic was originally shipped to the distributor. Shipping dates can sometimes vary a few months from the actual manufacturing date.

That important bit of info has gotten lost over the years. But a fairly exact build-date for U87, ± 1 month, is still possible, when you aggregate all information available: delivery dates, versions, build characteristics, and serial numbers of other U87 surrounding the one you are inquiring about. The capsule, if original, also has its year of manufacture handwritten on it: (http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/ind...c,36283.0.html)
Old 3rd March 2016
  #14
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Email me the serial number embossed on the bottom of the connector bell, next to the XLR connector, and I will look it up: [email protected].

The serial number of the head assembly is not indicative of manufacturing or delivery dates of the mic as a whole.

Also: don't confuse delivery and manufacturing dates: When using the official inquiry email, Neumann does NOT respond with manufacturing dates of its mics, but references when the mic was originally shipped to the distributor. Shipping dates can sometimes vary a few months from the actual manufacturing date.

That important bit of info has gotten lost over the years. But a fairly exact build-date for U87, ± 1 month, is still possible, when you aggregate all information available: delivery dates, versions, build characteristics, and serial numbers of other U87 surrounding the one you are inquiring about. The capsule, if original, also has its year of manufacture handwritten on it: (Sticky: How To Date A Neumann U87/U67 Capsule)
Will do, thank you very much. I have not received the mic yet but I will send you this information as soon as I receive it. Again, thank you very much for you help.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #15
I have a consecutive, matched pair of U87's serial 16714 & 16715. They sound lovely. Does anyone know the date or the value? Cheers Paul
Old 4 weeks ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
SP2016's Avatar
You may contact Neumann.com in Germany.They are very friendly.
I know that U87 serial number 16722 was made in 1976 !
Old 4 weeks ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

~70-71
Old 4 weeks ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
SP2016's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
~70-71
Neumann Germany officially wrote to me that U87 with serial number 16722 was made in 1976.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #19
Thanks Guys. I thought it would be earlier rather than late 1970's
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump