The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
IF YOU HAD A CHOICE... Condenser Microphones
Old 1st February 2007
Here for the gear

IF YOU HAD A CHOICE...

Hello all. I am about to upgrade my home studio. I really want to buy a high end vocal mic. I was looking at a Nuemann M149 or Soundelux ELUX 251. Any suggestions? Also, If you could buy a good set of mic pres, what would you get. I already have a pair of Avalon 737's and a Focusrite ISA 110. I was thinking a Great River MP2NV, Avalon 2022, or 2 Chandler TG MKII's. Matched up with the pre's I have, what do you think would be a good choice?
Old 1st February 2007

i just went through this exact same process -

If you are going to use it for vocals (like me) - the Soundelux E251C is the best way to go - its the Cardoid only version of the E251 and its almost $2K less -

mine is being overnighted to me - got it through GC Pro for $2788 + tax + shipping

if you are serious - call Mitch at 410.935.3428 and tell him i gave you his # - (Andrew Flint)

regarding your pre choice - i also just went through this - for a top notch tube pre that i would also use with synths, bass, guitar, maybe a cello - and i got the Pendulum MDP1A
Old 1st February 2007
Hay,I'll share with you an experience I had with a 149....

I tracked some vocals in a studio using a 149,and when the project moved to a second studio we had to change a few words in the take ,we didn't have a 149 so I used an early u87 for the changes .

I used the same mic-pre (modded Neve 1272) and the sound was almost identical ,I cant hear the extra 2000$ on the 149 ,its cleaner but not 2000$ cleaner ,to my ears.

RH
Old 1st February 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

I have to disagree with the m149 sounding similar to a U87. I have multiples of both, and U87s of different vintages, and while they all have a similar quality, (as most modern Neumanns) the 149 is a step up. It's got a better bottom, takes eq better, and a different top. I can't really speak to wether the price difference is worth it, especially if you're only using it for vocals, because I bought mine on the used market, and at the time there was only about a $700 price diff between the two.
For the 251 sound, I picked the Lawson over the Soundelux. As far as a pre, I'd also think about a tube pre. Maybe a V76? that would be nice!
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Brauner VM1 the best you can get!
Old 2nd February 2007
Baz
Lives for gear

Re the MP2NV. I just used it for the last 2 days with an 87i and a CL-1B and thought the chain worked very well for this F vocalist. I'd like to try it with a more aggressive M vocal for some more scope, but the chain was great,imho.

I had been in on a session awhile back with the same pre and an 87ai and wasn't nearly as impressed, so ymmv.I found it to be harder sounding.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search