The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What brand/make of 2" tape are you buying these days?
Old 1st March 2016
What brand/make of 2" tape are you buying these days?

Just got my MTR-90 24-track up and running...I tried using some 3M 996, but it was shedding/making a mess. I guess I should probably be buying new reels only. So much for all my old tapes!

What brand/make are you guys buying these days for new 2" tape? I'm going +6 at 30 ips, no NR. Curious as to your opinions regarding the difference between the ATR and RMG tapes.
Old 1st March 2016
Here for the gear
I'd be interested in this too. I've got a load of new old stock tape I'm going through but the day will come where I have to buy new.

I would say that I've got a dolby SR unit and run at 15ips. Just sounds amazing. Its on a A827. Can't see the point of 30 ips on this machine
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

I've used RMGI 911 for a few years with no problems. Last year I had to get a couple of reels of ATR b/c the studio I was bouncing back and forth from insisted on it. One of the reels was terrible. Shed so much on my machine that I had to recalibrate the tension. To their credit, they did swap the reel out.

But I'm sticking with RMGI from now on.
Old 1st March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
I've used RMGI 911 for a few years with no problems. Last year I had to get a couple of reels of ATR b/c the studio I was bouncing back and forth from insisted on it. One of the reels was terrible. Shed so much on my machine that I had to recalibrate the tension. To their credit, they did swap the reel out.

But I'm sticking with RMGI from now on.
Interesting! I've used ATR in the past with few problems. Have you compared the sound of 911 to 900?
Old 1st March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peel View Post
I'd be interested in this too. I've got a load of new old stock tape I'm going through but the day will come where I have to buy new.

I would say that I've got a dolby SR unit and run at 15ips. Just sounds amazing. Its on a A827. Can't see the point of 30 ips on this machine
I've got an SR unit...wasn't planning on using it. Perhaps I should try!
Old 1st March 2016
Gear Head

I've had excellent luck with ATR over the last couple years. No traces of residue even running day in and day out. I do like RMGI but had a problem with a roll last year and haven't used any since, though I've been meaning to order some.
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
Interesting! I've used ATR in the past with few problems. Have you compared the sound of 911 to 900?
No, never tried the 900.
Old 1st March 2016
I'm still using 2" Scotch packing tape, the only tape they still make.
Old 1st March 2016
not 2", but I use 1" 3m scotch 250 everyday. No shed and sounds great. I tried ATR a few years back but there was some shed.
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Have you compared the sound of 911 to 900?
I've been using 1" SM900 until I tried the 911. Result was extremely surprising, 911 was best for everything, more defined lows, the kinda boomy lo-mids were gone, nice highs, better transients. Just lost 3dB regarding the fluxivity.

I'm still surprised by the huge difference but let me just say that it's what I could notice on my recorder and this one only. As I didn't know anything but the SM900 first I thought the boomy lo-mids were the specific sound of the machine (tube amps). Switching to the 911 has been great and final. Never heard of such thing by other users.

As the machine is almost 50 years old I wondered if high fluxivity was accurate. So I did some tests with 900/911 at same fluxivity (355nWb) just to check. Same difference between both tapes.

Apart from that, both are clean tapes, no shed.
Old 4th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by artmanjam View Post
I've been using 1" SM900 until I tried the 911. Result was extremely surprising, best for everything, more defined lows, the kinda boomy lo-mids were gone, nice highs, better transients. Just lost 3dB regarding the flux.

I'm still surprised by the huge difference but let me just say that it's what I could notice on my recorder and this one only. As I didn't know anything but the SM900 first I thought the boomy lo-mids were the specific sound of the machine (tube amps). Switching to the 911 has been great and final. Never heard of such thing by other users.

Clean tape, no shed.
Wow, fascinating. What machine?
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Wow, fascinating. What machine?
It's a J-37 so maybe something specific there.

I use 1/4" SM911 on a 1959 Studer B-30 too but I'll have a try with SM468 on this one, one day...
Old 4th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by artmanjam View Post
It's a J-37 so maybe something specific there.

I use 1/4" SM911 on a 1959 Studer B-30 too but I'll have a try with SM468 on this one, one day...
Oh...I don't know that machine other than it's an old Studer!
Old 4th March 2016
Lives for gear

Been using ATR for years on my 1/2" machine. No problems with shedding and excellent sound and headroom. Super-nice folks as well.
Have fun with the 2" deck!
David
Old 4th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I'm still using 2" Scotch packing tape, the only tape they still make.
Could still work, check out 8m 55s.

Old 5th March 2016
Gear Addict

I prefer the sound of 911 to ATR Master Tape on my MCI's, but I'll be trying out the ATR MS before long.

T
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search