The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Barefoot MM45 vs Focal Trio6 Studio Monitors
Old 24th February 2016
  #1
Gear Head
 

Barefoot MM45 vs Focal Trio6

I have put a deposit for the Barefoot MM45 to replace my Focal Twins. Has anyone compared the Barefoot mm45 with Focal Trio6.

I've had very good results with the Focal Twins in my mixing room and love how the Focal Trio6 look. I've heard some people say the Trios are probably better for writing and production if high SPL is important. But that Barefoot mm45 are better for mixing and critical decisions. I am looking for better midrange and bass definition, that's why I am upgrading my twins. Still looking for opinions on the Trio6 since I still have time to change my mind and I am not sure I will be able to audition both at the same time in my room.

Regards,
Old 24th February 2016
  #2
Gear Nut
 
znature's Avatar
 

Yeah the Trio will give you more thump. That's about all. No contest as far as overall balance, mid clarity and low end precision. MM45 wipes with floor with the Trio.
Old 24th February 2016
  #3
As with most people, I did a ton of research before I bought my MM45s. I thought the only real contenders were pmc's monitors.
Old 25th February 2016
  #4
I don't think that is the right Barefoot model to be comparing to the trio6. The specs on the trio6 say they reach to 35Hz. The Barefoots that reach that low are the mm35s (which I happen to have).

I can't speak about the trio6. But I can say that the Barefoot speakers that I've used (mm27, mm35) have been superior in detail and translation in my purpose built mix room than any of the Focals I've used (twins, sm9) there.

I expect the mm45 would be fine as a monitor compared to the trio6. But I would expect it wouldn't reach as low as the trio6 (as it's not designed to reach that low). Generally speaking I trust Barefoot's design ethos more than Focal. But I don't think the comparison you're making is apples to apples.
Old 25th February 2016
  #5
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
I don't think that is the right Barefoot model to be comparing to the trio6. The specs on the trio6 say they reach to 35Hz. The Barefoots that reach that low are the mm35s (which I happen to have).

I can't speak about the trio6. But I can say that the Barefoot speakers that I've used (mm27, mm35) have been superior in detail and translation in my purpose built mix room than any of the Focals I've used (twins, sm9) there.

I expect the mm45 would be fine as a monitor compared to the trio6. But I would expect it wouldn't reach as low as the trio6 (as it's not designed to reach that low). Generally speaking I trust Barefoot's design ethos more than Focal. But I don't think the comparison you're making is apples to apples.
Thanks for the replies. I understand that the mm45's don't have the same specs in frequency response but I think the mm45 is more linear than the Focals, mm45 are 40Hz– 45kHz (±3dB) and 53Hz – 40kHz (±1dB). Trios don't show a ±1dB spec so its hard to say.

I still wanted a comparison because they cost almost the same. I am not too concerned about the mm45 not not going down to 35Hz (in -3db) if it is a better mixing tool for the price. Trio6 will have a better client wow factor though .
Old 25th February 2016
  #6
Both monitors are very good. The Trio's in comparison to the Twins have more low end and provides more depth of the image from front to back. With the ability to switch to a 2 way monitor makes the Trios more flexible than most monitors.
Old 25th February 2016
  #7
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Both monitors are very good. The Trio's in comparison to the Twins have more low end and provides more depth of the image from front to back. With the ability to switch to a 2 way monitor makes the Trios more flexible than most monitors.
That is one of the features that I like about the Trio6. The ability to switch to a two-way system is very nice and useful IMO. I have to say that I already have a set of small speakers that I use to reference my mixes but it still nice that the Trios offer that function.

I think both monitors are great, which one will be best for translation will also depend on my room of course but any of them will probably be an improvement to my Twins. The question is, how much of an improvement the mm45 vs the Trios? My brain wants the MM45 and my heart wants the Trios (lol, I think because I've built good relationships with producers because of my mixes using the Twins). Any more experiences will be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 25th February 2016
  #8
When you have the money to buy new monitors you really have to try both monitors in your studio and try them out. Then return the pair that did not meet your personal taste. Both are good, but relying on personal preference taste on the Internet wont help you make a decision. For what this worth I prefer the Trio
Old 2nd March 2016
  #9
Like Glenn said if you happen to coin up for both for your space, not only will you truly know which monitor is best for u, you will have another awesome purchase to look forward too next with the return money.
Old 2nd March 2016
  #10
Gear Head
 

Yes, I will try to get them both to demo before I return the one that I liked least but I will be definitely upgrading my twins.

Regards!
Old 2nd March 2016
  #11
Gear Nut
 
znature's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynteXis View Post
Thanks for the replies. I understand that the mm45's don't have the same specs in frequency response but I think the mm45 is more linear than the Focals, mm45 are 40Hz– 45kHz (±3dB) and 53Hz – 40kHz (±1dB). Trios don't show a ±1dB spec so its hard to say.

I still wanted a comparison because they cost almost the same. I am not too concerned about the mm45 not not going down to 35Hz (in -3db) if it is a better mixing tool for the price. Trio6 will have a better client wow factor though .
Don't underestimate your clients. High res 3D audio has a big WOW factor. Plus the 45's have balls too. Specs are cool and all. But there's a lot your ears will tell you that specs wont.
Old 11th March 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Tetness's Avatar
Hey, Slutz, we just uploaded this interview with Alex Da Kid where he talks about his MM45's! Check it out:



Last edited by Tetness; 11th March 2016 at 06:43 PM..
Old 11th March 2016
  #13
I'd toss a pair of ATC SCM25's in there. They are a bit more, but what you are describing, it sounds like they would be a great option if you can stretch the budget to that. SCM20's midrange is unreal, but they probably would not have enough low end for you. At that price range you could also check out Amphion Two18's. I got a chance to spend some time on them a couple months back and they are VERY impressive all the way from lows to highs for clarity, depth and imaging.
Old 13th March 2016
  #14
Lives for gear
 
surflounge's Avatar
Thank you for your wonderful video presentations (you know I love black&white imaging)
"Masters Of The Craft"
Congratulations again on more success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness View Post
Hey, Slutz, we just uploaded interviews...
Old 7th February 2017
  #15
Here for the gear
Focal Trio6's are the best sounding monitors I have EVER heard, and I've hear a lot!!!! Tho Barefoot Monitors are GREAT too!

Last edited by raffello; 7th February 2017 at 08:39 PM..
Old 9th May 2017
  #16
Gear Maniac
 

We have both here, and while I like the Trios, I prefer the MM45s. They're both nice, but it seems the MM45s are more flat/less "hyped"; again, that isn't to say the Trios are anything but nice... several of us prefer the Barefoots/feet/tootsies.

The ATC25s that were mentioned can take the slack out of your trousers as well.
Old 10th March 2019
  #17
Thinking about the Trios or the MM45's in my studio. If I go with the MM45's, I will keep my Focal sub for playback and mastering. If I go with the Focal Trios I may not need the sub as much. Hmmmm
Old 13th March 2019
  #18
Leaning more towards the MM45's right now, though the Trios look better and it would take me less time getting used to the Trios as I already am using the Twins. Jut wonder if the Trios will sound better for playback and the Barefoots' better at the mixing stage. Maybe the highfi knob will give the Barefoot a less in your face sound for playback?
Old 19th March 2019
  #19
Anyone else wish Barefoot made a better looking cabinet for the MM45's? The bubble exterior that is painted black does not look that nice? When you compare it to some of the other Barefoot or the beautiful Trios with the red wood exterior.
Old 20th March 2019
  #20
Try both. Mix a few projects on each. Listen and sell off the losers to another Gearslutz user.
Old 21st March 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 
IkennaFuNkEn's Avatar
 

I know two people who chose the trios over mm45 on Instagram. I want to try the mm45s though. Tried the mm27. Did not like them freq wise. I chose the trios but the low end air is too much for my room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Anyone else wish Barefoot made a better looking cabinet for the MM45's? The bubble exterior that is painted black does not look that nice? When you compare it to some of the other Barefoot or the beautiful Trios with the red wood exterior.
Go with what you know unless you want to start all over again getting acclimated. If you’re in NY I’d loan you mine for a week if you want. The trio has more resolution in the highs and mids. The highs are perfect. Gonna check out a couple more monitors, but I think I’ll be back to the trios or solos if I can find two sub 6s used
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump