The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Real professional monitors? Studio Monitors
Old 21st February 2016
Here for the gear

Real professional monitors?

I have been recording for about 20 yrs I get how the room acoustics make the difference you get use to the monitors that you have, the normal stuff we all have seen on here. With that in mind here is what happened to me.

Had my mind made up I was going to upgrade my studio monitors with the intention to buy something that I could use when I build my new studio, I had made my mind up to buy the Adams a77x but wanted to listen to them compared to others. So at namm in a piss poor listening enviorment I listened to a77x a7x and s3x.
A little more bass in a77x compared to the a7x but not much other difference.
Of course the s3x sounded way way better than both other speakers. Obviously $2200 for a77x $8000 for s3x makes the difference, but the difference was even more than that price difference. I was listening to beat it and had never heard the reverb on the drums that I was hearing on the s3x that reverb was NOT there on the a77x or the a7x that was just one thing there was many other thing I had never heard before.

Idk if I'm making sense and I know I have left out a lot of information that would be helpful with this question just want someone to reply that has had this same similar experience, but should I just wait till I can afford the real speakers or just settle for the less expensive ones.
Old 21st February 2016
Gear Guru

There are quite the choice of 'real' speakers form other brands that would show you that reverb for less than 8k.......time to get on a mission and try out a load of speakers. Ideally in your own space, not just listening but actually working on them. Ask dealers to try at home and get on it, testing. Have fun!
Old 21st February 2016
Lives for gear
There are two types of professional monitors ....

ATC and the others :-)

I joke of course!

There are lot's and lot's of boutique studio monitors about all claiming to be "the one" and their owners claiming they are "the one" and sometimes (not always of course) they're just this years fashion and then two years later everyone is knocking them. Don't make me name the brands but everyone knows them.

I have a such a pair myself - that was in fashion (best thing ever) and now apparently is nothing but poop - of course they're not poop but a very useful studio tool.

However if there's one monitors (IMHO - please note) that rises above that and is just no fuss "professional" monitoring, it is the expensive high end monitors by ATC.

I've never been able to afford £8K+ for monitors, or had the room that justifies putting them in there, but they are superb work horse tools that will translate like a dream and won't in my very humble opinion every be out of fashion because they were never a "this years thing" item anyway.

If you have the money for the best put a pair of ATC monitors (the higher end ones) near the top of your list.

I think they are absolutely superb in every way.
Old 21st February 2016
Lives for gear

That isn't the monitors who are professionals,that the one who used them…….

All the one you list will serve you good, try them in you room.
somme had great experience with less affordable monitors like theses

JBL LSR305 5" Active Studio Monitor | Sweetwater.com

But as always here, some of the answers will said that you need the 5.000$
monitors to mix…………..
Old 21st February 2016
Here for the gear

I was just so surprised at how big of a difference they're was in these 3 speakers. The high end speakers were just unbelievable. I'll keep on looking but it is a very overwhelming.
Old 21st February 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewClay View Post
I was just so surprised at how big of a difference they're was in these 3 speakers. The high end speakers were just unbelievable. I'll keep on looking but it is a very overwhelming.
What is the most you can spend?
Old 21st February 2016
Here for the gear

I was going to spend $2500-3000 but I can wait and save some money in in no hurry. What would everyone recommend? I know it's subjective! Just curious, I've read lots of threads but not a lot about high end stuff. Any thoughts
Old 21st February 2016
Quote:
I was going to spend $2500-3000 but I can wait and save some money in in no hurry. What would everyone recommend? I know it's subjective! Just curious, I've read lots of threads but not a lot about high end stuff. Any thoughts
I'm with Karloff. This stuff is so personal you gotta try them yourself, in your own room. Maybe order a bunch of demo pairs (including the s3x as your yardstick) and then decide yourself.
Old 21st February 2016
Here for the gear

So I guess the question would be going from something like event opals around $3000 to jump up to some monitors like Adam s3x or atc or something worth it?
Old 21st February 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
There are two types of professional monitors ....

ATC and the others :-)

I joke of course!
indeed you are joking
Old 21st February 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
What would be the most important attributes you would like other than hearing reverb?

Power/blasting bands? Mix tool? Lots of low end reach? Anything....? What will they be 'doing', as in situation/music styles?
Old 21st February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
indeed you are joking
:-)

I had a demo of a pair of ATC monitors (not at my place I may add) the price was new car territory .... but boy the resolution, detail and presentation of the music was just out of this world.

I was blown away actually.

I really need too buy Lottery tickets more often.
Old 21st February 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
:-)

I had a demo of a pair of ATC monitors (not at my place I may add) the price was new car territory .... but boy the resolution, detail and presentation of the music was just out of this world.

I was blown away actually.

I really need too buy Lottery tickets more often.
SCM150s are great. World class. But so are SP1m's and B&W 800Ds !! And PMCs !!
Old 21st February 2016
Lives for gear
Yes at that level they're all amazing - although I've not heard the SP1m's so I can't comment on those (they look amazing though!)

I'd be thrilled with a pair of SCM25A Pro's - that would be a nice step up from my trusty K&H 0300's .... a snip at £7.5K !!
Old 22nd February 2016
Here for the gear

I record full rock bands is the main thing. Anything from punk to pop to full on death metal. Mainly just want to hear crystal clear what I am recording.
Old 22nd February 2016
Ive got a pair of scm20s and they have the atc character and clarity. Just not as much low end as the larger ones or as rounded. But believe me i wouldnt part with them for anything but bigger atcs, even then it would be a hard sell. Also if im not mistaken economik here in canada had a special on the s3x's. Might still be runnijg
Old 22nd February 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
I record full rock bands is the main thing. Anything from punk to pop to full on death metal. Mainly just want to hear crystal clear what I am recording.
So you need band blasting power for tracking too I imagine. I ask as for your budget to my mind you either get a better mix tool with less blasting ability or something that can blast but not quite as superb (relatively!!) in mix mode. For less blast and full mix mode the small Amphion and Atc would be something to try, for more power maybe Opals? Also maybe check Quested V2108 or KRK E8's (maybe second hand). Really depends what you like to hear and what works in your room. I love Amphions but that's me.
Old 22nd February 2016
Lives for gear

a set of speakers is like girls, really!

-it's a 100% personal thing
-don't listen what others say about x or y
-no speaker is perfect
-it can only be the perfect match for you in your room
-they cost you huge amounts of money
-don't always trust what they're telling you
-you need to have a good relationship with them
-you always wanted at least 2 of them
-ok, maybe a 3rd for mono checks :-)
-you need to know them by heart
-some like small and tiny hifi speakers
-some want big boxes with that "ooohmph..."

summary: there's no way around testing speakers in your own room, no matter what brand or size. better work on them, not only listen to them. that said, it's a long journey until you find "your" match. e.g. I never liked the speakers you mentioned a few times in your post. period.
Old 22nd February 2016
Do not settle for less. You will only be repurchasing the real pair you want when you can. Plus you may be unsatisfied due to settling and this could effect/ affect your music/ mixing etc.

I too have felt exactly what you are saying. I went from 3" m audio to focal solo6 be and that to me was a night and day difference for me. Then when I had the opportunity to work on some real high end monitors and I have been saving ever since.

it's hard because How can you demo multiple sets with only $3000? Every dealer I have spoken with wants full payment so how can one compare 3-4 sets of high end monitors especially if some of the monitors are special order or not "stocked" by the dealer. This is my hold up lol and also for some Who are relying on resale of their current monitors to fund purchase of the new set would also face this.

This has been my issue and why I keep saving so that hopefully I can at least have $$$ to put down to demo on my top 3 choices. Then pray the dealer has the 3 pairs in stock, so I don't get restocking fee plus open box fee or whatever other surcharge they deem necessary when returning the monitors.

Again going off research and not working on the monitors maybe I don't vibe with all 3 of my choices (ughhh I really hope that's not the case) and then return them and get hit with 15% on each pair say $5k each that's 2250 spent just to find out I need to keep researching.

I also had the idea of finding studios who use the monitors and pay for studio time but then again it's not in my room.
Only if there was a monitor warehouse where you could rent the set or something idk

where are the dam winning lotto tickets at :
Old 23rd February 2016
Lives for gear

I had for 7 years ATC Scm50asl pro
I loved them every day!!
Now i sold them for an Augspurger Duo8 + S12 Subs System
Has anyone heard it at Vintage King Critical Listening Room?
Unbilievable Monitor System.

Last edited by Cucaio75; 23rd February 2016 at 04:09 AM..
Old 23rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Focal twin6 Be
Old 23rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
Do not settle for less. You will only be repurchasing the real pair you want when you can. Plus you may be unsatisfied due to settling and this could effect/ affect your music/ mixing etc.

I too have felt exactly what you are saying. I went from 3" m audio to focal solo6 be and that to me was a night and day difference for me. Then when I had the opportunity to work on some real high end monitors and I have been saving ever since.

it's hard because How can you demo multiple sets with only $3000? Every dealer I have spoken with wants full payment so how can one compare 3-4 sets of high end monitors especially if some of the monitors are special order or not "stocked" by the dealer. This is my hold up lol and also for some Who are relying on resale of their current monitors to fund purchase of the new set would also face this.

This has been my issue and why I keep saving so that hopefully I can at least have $$$ to put down to demo on my top 3 choices. Then pray the dealer has the 3 pairs in stock, so I don't get restocking fee plus open box fee or whatever other surcharge they deem necessary when returning the monitors.

Again going off research and not working on the monitors maybe I don't vibe with all 3 of my choices (ughhh I really hope that's not the case) and then return them and get hit with 15% on each pair say $5k each that's 2250 spent just to find out I need to keep researching.

I also had the idea of finding studios who use the monitors and pay for studio time but then again it's not in my room.
Only if there was a monitor warehouse where you could rent the set or something idk

where are the dam winning lotto tickets at :
so just read the high end nearfield test to give you a good idea.
Id go for either ATC, Amphion or Geithain.
BOOM
Old 23rd February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles flint View Post
a set of speakers is like girls,
-don't always trust what they're telling you.
hahahah!!!!!
Old 23rd February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
a set of speakers is like girls, really!

-it's a 100% personal thing
-don't listen what others say about x or y
-no speaker is perfect
-it can only be the perfect match for you in your room
-they cost you huge amounts of money
-don't always trust what they're telling you
-you need to have a good relationship with them
-you always wanted at least 2 of them
-ok, maybe a 3rd for mono checks :-)
-you need to know them by heart
-some like small and tiny hifi speakers
-some want big boxes with that "ooohmph..."

summary: there's no way around testing speakers in your own room, no matter what brand or size. better work on them, not only listen to them. that said, it's a long journey until you find "your" match. e.g. I never liked the speakers you mentioned a few times in your post. period.
this is brilliant
Old 23rd February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat87 View Post
so just read the high end nearfield test to give you a good idea.
Id go for either ATC, Amphion or Geithain.
BOOM
Ya I have read thru most of it, very fascinating I must say and the OP room in that thread is beautiful. As far as Amphion one18/ two15 seems to be the #1 contender in my research. I really like the pebble/ bam bam setup from unity audio as well, plus have got a chance to use them but not in my room. They were a significant step up from the solo6be. As far as The geithain and ATC I wish, maybe too expensive for my budget unfortunately meaning it would take me too long to save to get geithain, ATC, and amphion in my room at the same time. In all honesty though I believe the pro ac is probably my 3rd contender. Honestly, I'm planning to go hear some amphions in a local studio and after hearing, working on ATC I feel I may be settling for my #2 /#3 choices. Like I said where are the winning lotto tickets
Old 23rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
Honestly, I'm planning to go hear some amphions in a local studio and after hearing, working on ATC I feel I may be settling for my #2 /#3 choices. Like I said where are the winning lotto tickets
A word of advice about the Amphions while you might or might not initially hear something that catches your ear? You really need to spend some time with them and do some mixes. Once you go down that road then you will really see how much they shine.

Personally for me they did catch my ear the first time I heard them, but the real convincing came when I got a set in my room and started mixing. That's when the rubber hit the road.
Old 23rd February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
That isn't the monitors who are professionals,that the one who used them…….
Considering NS-10's were the standard for so many years and many, many great records were made on them, I'll have to agree with this statement.

Find a pair in your price range by a reputable company that has been around for a bit, has a warranty and a proven track record. Focal comes to mind as they have monitors in many sizes and price ranges. Then just learn the monitors and the room, this will happen as you work on them more and more.
Old 23rd February 2016
Gear Head

I use the S3X as
My main monitors and to my ear they are the best (near field) monitors I have ever heard. There are some imperfections, namely some extreme port chuffing which I am trying to work through with Adam but that only occurs when most of your SPL is centred around 90-120Hz. Other than that, IMO, there is no comparison in terms of detail, imaging and clarity.
Old 23rd February 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonebones View Post
Other than that, IMO, there is no comparison in terms of detail, imaging and clarity.
With other Adams and mid priced monitors - sure. I agree.

But up against the uber monitors out there....?
Old 24th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
With other Adams and mid priced monitors - sure. I agree.

But up against the uber monitors out there....?
Yep, I stick by that. Obviously I haven't heard every monitor out there but I've spent time in some of the worlds best mastering studios and for Nearfields, S3X's make my heart sing and cover the spectrum well enough to not need any guess work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search