The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Real professional monitors? Studio Monitors
Old 29th February 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednerd View Post
What is your opinion on adding a pair high quality subwoovers to nearfields for stereo mixing as an alternative to adding a pair of big full range monitors?

Love my Sigma 6.2 and I guess I could be completely happy, just extending their low range by adding a pair of super fast subs. Not sure if that's the best way to go though.
difficult question answer isn't it?

didn't Earthworks design some subs at some stage?
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

Yes, absolutely, it's a difficult question and might be down to trying it both in the end.

I thought EW designed a successor to the 6.2 adding a second mid/bass driver.
Not sure if this model was ever officially available though. Never heard of an EW sub.
I may be wrong on this though.

What power amp do you use for your 6.2, narcoman?

Last edited by nednerd; 29th February 2016 at 05:05 PM..
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
Focal twin6 Be
I have to agree with Mike on this. If you are doing mostly rock and aggressive stuff I would think the Twin 6be would right in the price range. I love mine and the detail on the reverb tails is really good. Much better than on my Genelecs!
Old 1st March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
That isn't the monitors who are professionals,that the one who used them…….
Not entirely true. Better monitors...or the right monitors recreate detail not possible from budget monitors. As experienced and noted in the OPs OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewClay View Post
I record full rock bands is the main thing. Anything from punk to pop to full on death metal. Mainly just want to hear crystal clear what I am recording.
You dont need freakishly expensive monitors to get great results mixing this style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
I have to agree with Mike on this. If you are doing mostly rock and aggressive stuff I would think the Twin 6be would right in the price range. I love mine and the detail on the reverb tails is really good. Much better than on my Genelecs!
Good advice!
Old 9th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewClay View Post
I have been recording for about 20 yrs I get how the room acoustics make the difference you get use to the monitors that you have, the normal stuff we all have seen on here. With that in mind here is what happened to me.

Had my mind made up I was going to upgrade my studio monitors with the intention to buy something that I could use when I build my new studio, I had made my mind up to buy the Adams a77x but wanted to listen to them compared to others. So at namm in a piss poor listening enviorment I listened to a77x a7x and s3x.
A little more bass in a77x compared to the a7x but not much other difference.
Of course the s3x sounded way way better than both other speakers. Obviously $2200 for a77x $8000 for s3x makes the difference, but the difference was even more than that price difference. I was listening to beat it and had never heard the reverb on the drums that I was hearing on the s3x that reverb was NOT there on the a77x or the a7x that was just one thing there was many other thing I had never heard before.

Idk if I'm making sense and I know I have left out a lot of information that would be helpful with this question just want someone to reply that has had this same similar experience, but should I just wait till I can afford the real speakers or just settle for the less expensive ones.
FWIW I just upgraded from Dynaudio BM5a that I had been using for about 9 years to Adam a77x and I adore them. I spent a lot of time listening and researching and I really think that they can't be beat, especially for the price.

But as someone mentioned, it's super subjective, and at the end of the day I think as long as you're using a really well designed speaker and you really take the time to learn them. It doesn't matter what you use.

-<T>
Old 9th March 2016
Gear Head

Its a very personal decision. you need to find a place where you can A/B these speakers in an acoustically treated environment. When i bought mine, i checked out everything but settled on Neumann 120kh. Not that others were not good, its matter of the sound i preferred and what sounded right to 'my ears'.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search