The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Label Spec Mix Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 19th February 2016
Here for the gear

Label Spec Mix

I potentially have the opportunity to provide a (and my first ever) spec mix to a label in order to try to win the job for mixing the album.

Some questions for those who have experience with this kind of thing:

1. Have you ever paid to have the spec mix professionally mastered in order to compete and potentially win on the "loudness" front? I'm not just talking about throwing Ozone or L2 on it, but actually having a reputable mastering house do it.

2. If so -- how do you climb out of that hole for revisions without mastering it each time you send a revision? I know labels typically want a zillion different mixes.

3. Any other helpful information as it relates to spec mixing?
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Guru

Honestly? Sounds suspect to me. I've never had a label ask me for a mix in order to "win the job". I'm not aware of any of my peers that have had to do that either. In my experience, if a label (or a film company, or an ad agency or anyone else for that matter besides a band who wants something for free) wanted to know what I would do, they paid me to do it. If they didn't like it, they moved on.....
Old 19th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Honestly? Sounds suspect to me. I've never had a label ask me for a mix in order to "win the job". I'm not aware of any of my peers that have had to do that either. In my experience, if a label (or a film company, or an ad agency or anyone else for that matter besides a band who wants something for free) wanted to know what I would do, they paid me to do it. If they didn't like it, they moved on.....
mmm I don't know about that one... depends on the label and the a&r guy proposing it.

to op: it really depends on the situation. you have to figure out internally in your gut and your brain if it's worth it and like drBill said depends on the "label"

tons of "labels" that are just glorified production companies that talk a lot of s-!t but are just trying to keep costs down and not actually make any moves. it's it's a real deal label and it's a legit project that you think will seriously advance your career then I would consider doing it but you must keep your business wits about you and explain to them that there are some ground rules like if they end up using your mix something has to happen like you need something firm as to not just send them a mix and never hear from them again or they just use you as a one night stand. often something like "ok well if you use it then I get paid XYZ or get XYZ" or are guaranteed to do more work for pay for them via some sort of contract. in other words you need something back from them if they end up using your mix particularly as you said if you "win" the shootout then you are promised to mix the whole album but you need to get that established and confirmed somehow so you don't get used.
Old 19th February 2016
It's not unusual for there to be a spec mix for a gig. If the label are picking people - maybe it's unusual. If you're the band's choice, or being given a shot as a favour - of course it's going to be on spec.

No - I wouldn't pay for mastering. Just make it sound good! you're not going to get every track you mix for the album mastered yourself, so don't start off that way. A good mix shouldn't need it.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search