The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ELAM 251 Grill removal Studio Headphones
Old 16th February 2016
Lives for gear

ELAM 251 Grill removal

I've opened the 251 many times before but never removed the grill (that I recall) to gain access to the diaphragm. Sounds like our diaphragm is loose and I see some foam floating around in there so I want to fix her before anything bad happens but I don't see an obvious way to remove the grill land before I do anything I wanted to ask if anyone has any recommendations.
tia
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

This procedure will be the same for the original, AKG-made, ELA M 251, and the copy mic that Telefunken/North America issues:

1. Unscrew the center contact stalk of the head assembly counter-clockwise. If it does not come off with your fingers, use smooth-walled pliers around a piece of leather, to prevent scratches to the stalk

2. Remove the circular clear plastic cover of the switch assembly at the bottom of the head, which was held in place by the stalk

3. Losen, by one half turn, both large slot screws that hold the angle brackets in place. These brackets serve to hold the head assembly to the mic's frame bars

4. Gently turn the head assembly clockwise against the head basket, about 45º until the head assembly clears. If it does not clear easily, losen the two screws another half turn

5. Remove the head assembly from the basket straight up, paying attention to keep the capsule centered as you lift the assembly off, to prevent damage to the diaphragms

Reassembly is exactly in reverse. Pay attention not to overtighten the two slot screws once the capsule has been properly aligned front-to-aft.
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

have to confirm

In step 3, the slot screws you mention are what I boxed in red in the photo?

Looks like they put some security wax in there - it has the telefunken logo imprinted in the dark green stuff.
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

You have obviously the copy mic made by Telefunken NA.

Yes, scape off the sealing lacquer from the two screws and proceed.

Do not proceed if you still have warranty on the mic, and intend to honor the company's warranty terms.
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

Yes, this is the newer unit, the original is in use all this week so I couldn't compare the two to figure out how to get this one open.

The coiled suspension foam came out on both side (one side is torn). All better for now until I can get a replacement strip of foam as this is

Thank you

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search