The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm unable to audition monitors, choosing 'tween Amphion one18/one 15 and Focal Solo6 Studio Monitors
Old 16th February 2016
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Choosing 'tween Amphion one18/one 15 and Focal Solo6

Hello all,

What I've narrowed it down to is between the Amphion One15 or One18 (my room is pretty small) and the Focal Solo 6 Be. I would like to hear your opinions on the differences between those two, from those have actually used them both.

I had a chance to compare the Focals to many others (Opals, The Rock mkII, and many more -- all powered) when I was visiting a friend recently and I personally favored the Focals the most. That same friend just called me and told me that I should without a single doubt check out the Amphions. Damn him!!!!

So, I'm asking you to keep this focussed only on the Amphions. I know many will be eager to tell me to check out other monitors, but I've spent a long time narrowing my choice down to these two, based on my own listening, research, and my friend's recommendation (I usually trust him implicitly on these things, but monitors are...well, you know).

I'll check them out when I can at a dealer, but really would also like to hear real world opinions.

Thanks.
Old 16th February 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Bryce's Avatar
What size is your room, and how close will you be sitting to the monitors?

dB
Old 16th February 2016
  #3
Have you contacted amphion directly? I thought there was no way to try out amphions here, and they put me in touch with someone locally who owned them. I much prefer the one15's over the focals honestly. I find the focals soundstage to be much more fizzy and closed off. Maybe they need more time to open up than i spent on them, but i found the midrange muffled and hard to work with. This is in comparison to the amphions. Compared to a lot of other similar priced monitors the focals are great. Just not at the level of the one15's or one18's. The one15's are very musical while being revealing. The midrange on the amphions is one of the few i have liked working on. Top end extension and detail, was excellent as well.
Old 16th February 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Bryce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celinara View Post
Have you contacted amphion directly? I thought there was no way to try out amphions here, and they put me in touch with someone locally who owned them.
There are few dealers in Canada now. Diffusion Audio carries the line, as does Studio Economik.

dB
Old 16th February 2016
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
What size is your room, and how close will you be sitting to the monitors?

dB


Hi Bryce. My room is 15.5' (L) x 10' (W) x 8' (H) and my monitors can be up to 4' from my ears with 18" behind them to the back wall at that distance (preferably closer, but that's where they are now with my current larger-than-they-should-be-for-this-rom Eves). It's treated fairly well, with panels and a cloud and floor-to-ceiling bass traps in all corners (all Corning).

Right now I have Eve SC307, which are way too big and clumsy-sounding in my room. I do have clients here at times, so some power sometimes is good, but my overall focus is for production and mixing.
Old 16th February 2016
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celinara View Post
Have you contacted amphion directly? I thought there was no way to try out amphions here, and they put me in touch with someone locally who owned them. I much prefer the one15's over the focals honestly. I find the focals soundstage to be much more fizzy and closed off. Maybe they need more time to open up than i spent on them, but i found the midrange muffled and hard to work with. This is in comparison to the amphions. Compared to a lot of other similar priced monitors the focals are great. Just not at the level of the one15's or one18's. The one15's are very musical while being revealing. The midrange on the amphions is one of the few i have liked working on. Top end extension and detail, was excellent as well.
Thanks! I will keep this in mind.
Old 16th February 2016
  #7
Gear Maniac
Of those three the One18's were my personal favorite.
Old 16th February 2016
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by worksinframes View Post
Of those three the One18's were my personal favorite.
What did you feel the differences were between the One18 and the Solo 6 be?
Old 16th February 2016
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
There are few dealers in Canada now. Diffusion Audio carries the line, as does Studio Economik.

dB
I know there are dealers in Canada. Just not in my half of Canada. They are all in Quebec. Tad far.
Old 16th February 2016
  #10
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPie View Post
What did you feel the differences were between the One18 and the Solo 6 be?
I have heard and liked them all but I did not hear the Focals next to the Amphions directly. The Amphion One18 was the only speaker that just sounded right to me. The Amphions make you work for great results, but they're always still pleasing. They politely tell you what needs to be done. I've never gotten results faster than with the One18's. The One15's have a tighter, punchier sound that really shows you transients, the One18's have a greater sense of depth and space. I do a lot of acoustic music so the One18's were a clear winner, but people who work on more beat driven music sometimes like the One15's even more than the 18's.

I like Focals in general as well, but there's still "interpretation" that needs to be done for me when mixing on them.
Old 16th February 2016
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Bryce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celinara View Post
I know there are dealers in Canada. Just not in my half of Canada. They are all in Quebec. Tad far.
Are there still decent high end pro audio dealers on the western side of the country? Annex used to be great, but I guess they're focused elsewhere these days.

dB
Old 16th February 2016
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by worksinframes View Post
I have heard and liked them all but I did not hear the Focals next to the Amphions directly. The Amphion One18 was the only speaker that just sounded right to me. The Amphions make you work for great results, but they're always still pleasing. They politely tell you what needs to be done. I've never gotten results faster than with the One18's. The One15's have a tighter, punchier sound that really shows you transients, the One18's have a greater sense of depth and space. I do a lot of acoustic music so the One18's were a clear winner, but people who work on more beat driven music sometimes like the One15's even more than the 18's.

I like Focals in general as well, but there's still "interpretation" that needs to be done for me when mixing on them.
This is great, thanks.

Anyone else?
Old 16th February 2016
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
Oskari J.'s Avatar
 

I owned Solo6, and now own One15 and One18. NO contest!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump