The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elysia nvelope + SSL G-Comp MK2 (500 Series) for Mastering 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 16th February 2016
Gear Maniac
Elysia nvelope + SSL G-Comp MK2 (500 Series) for Mastering

Hi Guys,

I am very very late to the 500 Series game and mostly did and do ITB Mixing and Mastering.

I now thought about how to add a little outboard glue and punch before doing the final limiting with my beloved Fabfilter Pro-L.

I already own the Waves SSL and Elysia nvelope as plugins for Mixing duties and like them so far, especially the nvelope (i am a transient hound) and I though about a "cheap" but effective outboard 500 setup.

My idea is this:

Elysia nvelope 500 + SSL G-Comp MK2 500 (with sidechain)
(both lined up in a cheap 4-slot enclosure)

The idea is to have a little outboard-rack which can be used effectively on single tracks, but mostly for the afforementioned last analog-goodness before running it back into Pro-L.

My questions are these:

1. Do you think these two could make a great combination especially for mastering?
I know a lot of guys ask why take care of transients in mastering and they are right in the regard that most transients have been taken care of in mixing with plugins, but I thought this could possibly a great and versatile combination. Leading to:

2. In which succession would you prefer to use both units?
Compress with SSL and then work a little on the transients or e.g. make the transients sharp and reduce with the SSL? Just some ideas.

3. Do you think I will benefit sonically from this setup?
My fear is that as I already have the plugins the benefits could be negligible, but I also have good ears and understand the transient punch and depth of imaging of analog Hardware.

4. Is it siilly to go outboard and then go back ITB into a plugin limiter? Should outboard be the last chain? If so I am also in for an analog limiter, but I want to avoid that, as I really like the Pro-L and already paid for it.

Thanks in advance if anyone find the time to read my post and help me out!
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

4. no, if you're working on a digital file, it makes sense to apply some digital processing.

3. yes, hardware wins.

1. not really. the g comp is a total must have for mixing, but i've never had any luck with it in a mastering scenario. surprisingly it is a pretty cool tracking compressor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search