The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NPNG pre or Burl B1 ad converter as my next purchase? 500 Series Preamps
Old 16th February 2016
NPNG pre or Burl B1 ad converter as my next purchase?

Hi everyone,

I am currently using an La-610 with upgraded tubes, mostly mullard 12at7s and a brymar 12ax7 in the preamp section, and ge tube for the one compressor section. All in all it does sound amazing paired with my Sony c800g. It beat out a great river, Manley core, shadow hills mono gamma, vintech 573, even a gtqc which I sold.

I also use the mytek stereo 96ad which sounds decent. I used to have a burl that I thought sounded amazing but I eventually traded it.

I'd like to make my next purchase, either a burl b1 again, or an npng preamp which I've heard are downright amazing. If you were in my shoes what would you buy? My studio is well treated so room issues are not a problem. Your help is greatly appreciated. Also, if you want to suggest other high end pre go for it, I only need 1 channel mostly. I'm actually surprised how great the LA 610 sounds with upgraded tubes, paired with my c800g on my soft baritone/tenor voice.
Old 16th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
Hi everyone,

I am currently using an La-610 with upgraded tubes, mostly mullard 12at7s and a brymar 12ax7 in the preamp section, and ge tube for the one compressor section. All in all it does sound amazing paired with my Sony c800g. It beat out a great river, Manley core, shadow hills mono gamma, vintech 573, even a gtqc which I sold.

I also use the mytek stereo 96ad which sounds decent. I used to have a burl that I thought sounded amazing but I eventually traded it.

I'd like to make my next purchase, either a burl b1 again, or an npng preamp which I've heard are downright amazing. If you were in my shoes what would you buy? My studio is well treated so room issues are not a problem. Your help is greatly appreciated. Also, if you want to suggest other high end pre go for it, I only need 1 channel mostly. I'm actually surprised how great the LA 610 sounds with upgraded tubes, paired with my c800g on my soft baritone/tenor voice.
If you are happy with your pre and loved what the B1 did isn't that your answer... (though the NPNG is also stunning so ideally you'd get both ;-)
Old 16th February 2016
I love my NPNG 2NW preamp, I use it every session. Stunning is right!
Old 16th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If you are happy with your pre and loved what the B1 did isn't that your answer... (though the NPNG is also stunning so ideally you'd get both ;-)
I'd like to get both but right now I'm saving up for a downpayment for a house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I love my NPNG 2NW preamp, I use it every session. Stunning is right!
I was checking the clipalator the other day at zenproaudio, it really did sound much better than everything else on there. I think I might have to get the npng. I was thinking martech too but apparently npng is better. I was also considering a vocal compressor (cl1b new, a bit out of my range right now).
Old 16th February 2016
Lives for gear

Hard to go wrong with the B2. I've not used the NPNG. If you're looking for a 2 channel pre, you might also want to check out the Sonic Farm Creamer or Silk Road. Built extremely well and sound excellent (there's clips on their website). With the low Canadian dollar right now, it's worth considering.
Old 16th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Hard to go wrong with the B2. I've not used the NPNG. If you're looking for a 2 channel pre, you might also want to check out the Sonic Farm Creamer or Silk Road. Built extremely well and sound excellent (there's clips on their website). With the low Canadian dollar right now, it's worth considering.
I didn't even know that preamp was made by Canadians! Checking them out right now, I've heard a lot of great things about their pres.
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

Preamps before converters. Always.
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Maniac

The La-610 does the job great when fat, warm tracks are desired. But if one aims for more realism and definition, almost anything else will be a better choice.
The Aurora GTQC also sounds very smokey warm (I sold my GTQ2 which is a dual ch version a few years back), so you could use something to complement those 2 units.
We offer several high quality preamp models, both tube and solid state, and they would all be a great addition to your current setup.

It's best to check out what our users say both here on GS as well on our site.

good luck finding what you want!

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Old 19th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztjangle View Post
The La-610 does the job great when fat, warm tracks are desired. But if one aims for more realism and definition, almost anything else will be a better choice.
The Aurora GTQC also sounds very smokey warm (I sold my GTQ2 which is a dual ch version a few years back), so you could use something to complement those 2 units.
We offer several high quality preamp models, both tube and solid state, and they would all be a great addition to your current setup.

It's best to check out what our users say both here on GS as well on our site.

good luck finding what you want!
I'm really interested in the beamer, I'll be making a decision on a piece of gear next week.
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Addict

The NPNG are stunning. Karl is offering the Uberlux and Cadillac options for more color. Talk with him.
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Preamps before converters. Always.
This.

And I think everyone should be required to try a good 1073 clone before buying anything else. I have NPNG pres and they are good, but my BAE 1028s (a 1073 clone) get used way more often.
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm really interested in the beamer, I'll be making a decision on a piece of gear next week.
Sounds good. I believe one of our users posted a Beamer review here on GS. And also, separate magazine reviews exist for both Berliner and Creamer, done by Mix, Sound On Sound, and a few other magazines.
Old 20th February 2016
The modern 610's are obviously great pres, or they wouldn't be getting used on artists like Adele or Chris Martin. But surprised you tossed the Aurora. I love mine.

If you like the 610 over the Neve sound, the NPNG would likely be in your range of flavor preference. Definitely an interesting clean but very warm and articulate channel. I have and use four of them.
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've demo'd the Beamer. If you are primarily recording mono channels, it's pretty hard to beat, as you get two great but different preamps in a single unit.
Old 21st February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRLK View Post
The modern 610's are obviously great pres, or they wouldn't be getting used on artists like Adele or Chris Martin. But surprised you tossed the Aurora. I love mine.

If you like the 610 over the Neve sound, the NPNG would likely be in your range of flavor preference. Definitely an interesting clean but very warm and articulate channel. I have and use four of them.
Ok that's good to know. My LA-610 is upgraded with NOS Tubes in there, 12ax7 Brymar and 12AT7 Mullards, and GE tubes for the other tubes. I've recorded a few successful songs with the Aurora and it will be missed, but I just felt like the vocal editing for my voice was a little tough. the mids were popping a tad too much. The LA-610 that has a big bottom and soft mids. I can't knock the Aurora, I built my career around this pre, but I felt like it was time to let go as it was losing in my vocal shootouts on my voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
I've demo'd the Beamer. If you are primarily recording mono channels, it's pretty hard to beat, as you get two great but different preamps in a single unit.
That's exactly my thought. Would be nice to have 2 flavors of pres. Economik is having a Tubetech Cl1b special this week so it'll be a really tough choice.

Throughout the years I've used the Avedis Ma5 (really good), LA-610, Neve DPA (a bit underwhelming), Aurora GTQC (good but got bored of it), Blue Robbie (Highly underrated) Original Neve 1073 (Great but way too pricey), Shadow Hills Mono Gama (disappointing), Great River (Very disappointed), API 512C (Surprisingly great with my c800g) and Vintech 573 (too sharp in mids).
Old 21st February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok that's good to know. My LA-610 is upgraded with NOS Tubes in there, 12ax7 Brymar and 12AT7 Mullards, and GE tubes for the other tubes. I've recorded a few successful songs with the Aurora and it will be missed, but I just felt like the vocal editing for my voice was a little tough. the mids were popping a tad too much. The LA-610 that has a big bottom and soft mids. I can't knock the Aurora, I built my career around this pre, but I felt like it was time to let go as it was losing in my vocal shootouts on my voice.

That's exactly my thought. Would be nice to have 2 flavors of pres. Economik is having a Tubetech Cl1b special this week so it'll be a really tough choice.

Throughout the years I've used the Avedis Ma5 (really good), LA-610, Neve DPA (a bit underwhelming), Aurora GTQC (good but got bored of it), Blue Robbie (Highly underrated) Original Neve 1073 (Great but way too pricey), Shadow Hills Mono Gama (disappointing), Great River (Very disappointed), API 512C (Surprisingly great with my c800g) and Vintech 573 (too sharp in mids).
I've used most of those on your list as well, except not familiar with the Vintech or Robbie. I think you'd be pretty happy with the Sonic Farm stuff.

I know someone who put his LA-610 MK2 up for sale after buying the Berliner, FWIW. I think he also bought a Silk Road, he's become a bit of a Farm addict . He actually turned me on to the Sonic Farm stuff.

I've owned a couple LA-610's over the years. They are nice, but the SF preamps are in a different league in my experience.

I also have a CL1B here. I just looked at Economik's site. Decent deal on an open box one if you are in the US, still kind of expensive if in Canada due to the poor dollar. I got my CL1B on a trade, but the trade value was around $2500 USD.

CL1B's do come up on the used market fairly regularly. I find the Sonic Farm stuff doesn't, as there are less of them out there, and people generally tend to hold on to them. It's boutique gear, and they only sell direct, so there is an extra level of quality/value there, as there is also no dealer markup.

Good luck with your decision!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search