The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crane Song Ibis: how clean is it? Equalisers (HW)
Old 15th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Crane Song Ibis: how clean is it?

Hello, friends.

After long searching I'm very close to buy this EQ. Unfortunately I don't have opportunity to demo it, but read a lot of threads and reviews about it. In general I want to find a replacement for my Sontec 250 which was the only clean addition to my analog colour stuff for long time (Manley MP, pair of Vintech X81, pair of Chandler TG Channel MK2, API 5500 and Retro 2A3), but not so clean to replace it by plugins (PSP Neon, DMG Equilibrium). Finally I sold Sontec due to its constant technical problems (it was very old unit), and I think to find something new for all kind of applications (recording, mixing and mastering) and Crane Song's lifetime warranty looks pretty good.

Apparently Ibis fits my requirements very well — fully parametric with high pass filter, a lot of frequencies points, plus colour function too (however I never used Crane Song gear before and I'm not sure it is my cup of tea). Also it's a maximum budget I can afford for now. I want to hear some opinions from Ibis owners: do I move in correct direction regard this EQ? How clean is it? Does Ibis have enough character and own musicality (reasonable for a clean analog equalisation) that not be replaced by plug-ins I already have? Sometimes I found that various simulation curves of DMG Equilibrium processed through Chandler or Vintech preamp with moderate drive, or in serial with Retro 2A3 or Massive Passive signal path do very very nice and interesting clean equalisation with obvious analog attitude. Is Ibis still unbeatable in such kind of comparison?

I will be grateful for any useful advice and opinion.
Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by Mr. Bars; 15th February 2016 at 08:18 PM..
Old 16th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Hey, friends... So many Crane Song's lovers around and there is no simple answer here.

Last edited by Mr. Bars; 17th February 2016 at 02:40 AM..
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

the ibis is easily one of the best eq's out there, if i could only have one eq, this would probably be it. great for tracking, mixing and mastering.

so how 'clean' is it? tough question. much truer to source than any plug-ins, still it imparts a certain musicality of it's own.
Old 17th February 2016
The Crane Song Ibis is clean, natural, pretty smooth and slightly polished, but subversivly, not overbearing or "in the way". It is "tight", with a sutble gloss to it. Maybe a good term would be "silky". But it feels "neutral" on your signal. You can inject "color" to taste with it. Since it has a "musical approach" to equalization, you can enhance signal but it can do surgical too.
Old 17th February 2016
Gear Maniac

As far as I can see at the moment, being a clean analog EQ IBIS is still far from the purity of plugins' world...
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Maniac

More opinions, please...
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Addict

I have the non mastering version and a little goes a long way
I would consider the Ibis on the clean side with character
I feel like Cranesong gear has a certain sheen it imparts on the source
kinda creamylike texture

the Ibis is versatile

it can be surgical like the doc said and it can be very broad

I would recommend this EQ in a heartbeat

great on all sources including the buss which is where mine lived till I bought the Soma
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks a bunch for opinion!
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd17 View Post
I have the non mastering version and a little goes a long way
I would consider the Ibis on the clean side with character
I feel like Cranesong gear has a certain sheen it imparts on the source
kinda creamylike texture

the Ibis is versatile

it can be surgical like the doc said and it can be very broad

I would recommend this EQ in a heartbeat

great on all sources including the buss which is where mine lived till I bought the Soma
I totally second this. Great EQ. One of those pieces I'll never sell.
Old 5th March 2016
Lives for gear

I used to have Ibis for about 2 years ... For me it was not only too clean, but also slightly lacking some "vibe" (I don't want to use the word "boring", but yes . I sold it and got Millennia NSEQ with Forssell motherboard ... Now - THAT was clean, full, musical, comparing to it , Ibis sounded a bit "narrow" so to say ...

Still I mostly use Gyraf G14 (that sounds so sweet) an recently I was quite amazed by Gyraf G23 EQ - cleaner than G14 but very "atmospheric"
Old 5th March 2016
Gear Nut

Putting all the descriptive words in quotes is the new gear seller thing I guess.

Clean should be in quotes too in above post, keep it consistent.

Gearslutz NEEDS to start having gear sellers clearly identified in their posts, the shilling is getting out of control. they always "like" what they "sell", what a shock!
Old 16th September 2016
I had one for a very short time because I really didn't like it much. I like Crane Song equipment - I used a Spider for many years, and currently have the Dave Hill Titans and love them. But the Ibis was just very lackluster - I didn't like the way it boosted, didn't like the way it cut. It was very "limp" sounding and was unable to do anything I wanted it to do in the way I wanted it done. Believe me, I was surprised, and it's definitely not what I expected from the unit. But I've owned and spend a lot of time with quite a few EQs (Toneleux Equalux, Clariphonic, Electra, Charter Oak PEQ-1, Retro 2A3, Knif Soma, Sphere 900, Avedis E27, API 560, Calrec PQ 1161) and every one of them has had something I liked about it... except the Ibis. I know a lot of folks love it. To be honest, there haven't been many pieces of equipment that I felt had no use to me at all, but this is actually one of them. Pretty harsh, I know, but it's true.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search