The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrade time: 6-8k honest monitors. What to choose? Studio Monitors
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonerbox View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my home studio with a pair of great and honest speakers. Monitors that lasts.

Good mid range, decent open lows and not hyped artificial highs. I record and mix heavy dynamic rock, modern minimalistic industrial and electronic music but also acoustic and pop. Pretty broad. I do not have the luxury of listening to the monitors before I buy them due to my location, so this will be sort of a gamble but I believe that if you pay good money you will get a good product.

The room is small (3.90x4x2.80m with a single sloped ceiling) and is semi-treated, could always use more bass traps but that will definitely change in the future and we will also eventually move somewhere down the line.

What I am looking for is a pair of active speakers and these are the ones I have stumbled upon so far.

ATC25 - Honesty.

KM310 - Decent price, decent monitors but not so punchy and too hi-fi-sounding?

Feel free to recommend me additional monitors that I can check out/read up on.

All the best, Stonerbox
At this price area I would look at the ME-Geithain RL944K.

THIS is what Audiovisjon wrote about them in the High End Nearfield thread.

Also the SOS review is here (February 2016 issue).

They are uncoloured, neutral and revealing and, according to Audiovisjon, mixes translate very well.
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

ATC SCM20 MkII's.

Old 19th February 2016
6 to 8K

Used Barefoot mm27 Gen2
Gen1 also all right, if they cheap(er)

R.
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Maniac
Another vote for Amphion. It's not that they sound wild or flattering, but they just work so well and so easily. They're the only no-translation speaker I've used here.
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
The new s3x don't have the port noise, I thought? Also, the older ones can be sent in to get the fix.
Sadly mine do suffer port chuffing as most monitors do one way or another but I've been through a few pairs and they are pretty extreme at mid level SPL peaking low Hz. It's a shame because I think they sound so inspiring. Everything is so present and rich. I still highly recommended them.
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Maniac
^ If you want port noise free monitors... PSI Audio.
Old 19th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
^ If you want port noise free monitors... PSI Audio.
Or Amphion, Barefoot, Geithain, ATC etc...
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Maniac

I can't thank all of you enough! Your suggestions have opened up my eyes for what is available out there and its broad variety with many interesting niches and concepts. Thank you all!

In the end I settled for a pair of ATC 25A.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search