The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bricasti Reverb sound like Lexicon 96 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynick View Post
Again, I'd love to hear an example. In 2009, the guy responsible for the hardware and software had this to say about the converters used in the newer Lexicon boxes, such as the PCM92 and PCM96:

It's difficult for me to understand why some claim the converters have that much of an effect, when they were designed to be transparent. The older converters used in the 480L were definitely less transparent.

That being said, I can definitely understand that there may be differences in gain-staging and possibly differences in the parameters. I'm not sure if any of the parameters are scaled differently in the plugins, but I would not assume that the presets are identical. I seem to remember Michael saying that he adjusted the decay time calculation, and that may be why some claimed the hardware sounded "deeper" or "fuller"...perhaps there was a slightly longer decay.

The same thing happens with the Relab LX480 plugin because there are some extra parameters that were not adjustable on the hardware. The manual provides the proper "hardware emulation" setting for these, and when they're set carefully, the sound is identical.

Nick
Well, the algorithms definitely don't sound different, but no ADDA path is totally transparent. Sending an analog signal from my interface, through the PCM96 and to the mixer definitely sounds different than sending a digital signal through the PCM Native plug, and then out through a Burl or Prism Orpheus to the mixer, esp when the sample rate is different than 96khz. It's subtle though, basically we are just talking about timbre and sound quality, the reverbs are the same. Probably to some ears the difference isn't really significant.

I am away from the studio, so I can't record a test at the moment.
Old 17th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escarabajo View Post
Thousand of threats about Bricasti, not for Quantec? I don't understand

Marketing ! Or lack of.... they seem to prefer a niche customer base.

Saying that their Yardstick range is awesome!!

Plus iPad control..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search